Regarding the concept of Shi.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
    I strongly disagree with Gen Vo Ngyen Gap's Tet as an example of Shi. It was AFTER the fact that he capitalized on the disgruntle American public. In actual fact, he did not predict it and everything he did in preparation for Tet was to repeat Diem Biem Phu at Kha Sanh. He certainly did not thought of the American public in his planning and he certainly did not planned on the American public reaction.
    Fair enough, but you cannot deny after the Tet and the resulting media coverage, he used Shi-like concepts to wear down the enemy and drive it out albiet not masterfully like Gandhi.

Comment

No, I cannot agree. Vietnamization for intents and purposes worked. The South Vietnamese (albeit with American airpower) even managed to destroyed an NVA invasion force and even invaded North Vietnam herself.

It was through sheer incompetence that they lost afterwards making the biggest strategic mistake of abandonning 3 provinces.

If anything, Hanoi was oppertunistic but hardly in setting trends nor initiatives.

Comment

Notice I said not masterfully and driving the enemy out. I meant the US. They took the energy out. They wore down the confidence and morale of US to win the war using propaganda. Hell they even made US stop supporting S. Vietnam and giving money and weapons.

Comment

Gentlemen,
          I found this paper on the concept of Shi by David Lai and the website http://www.carlisle.army.mil/ssi. See the pdf file on this site http://www.strategicstudiesinstitute....cfm?pubID=378

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Originally posted by Blademaster
            Notice I said not masterfully and driving the enemy out. I meant the US. They took the energy out. They wore down the confidence and morale of US to win the war using propaganda. Hell they even made US stop supporting S. Vietnam and giving money and weapons.
            Unintentionally.

Comment

Originally posted by lemontree
              Gentlemen,
              I found this paper on the concept of Shi by David Lai and the website http://www.carlisle.army.mil/ssi. See the pdf file on this site http://www.strategicstudiesinstitute....cfm?pubID=378

Thanks for that. Will read up.
              “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

With midlife crisis comes at me fast and furious, maybe I should get a faster car, maybe ask that cute junior analyst out for little R&R, yup, that should revise the trend. Huh, who’s the master now.
                “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

Yeeeaaahhh. Nice try, Andy. What little time you have left after work and kids, it's reserved for sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by xinhui
                    With midlife crisis comes at me fast and furious, maybe I should get a faster car, maybe ask that cute junior analyst out for little R&R, yup, that should revise the trend. Huh, who’s the master now.
                    What about your wife? Won't she say anything about that?

Comment

Originally posted by Blademaster
                      What about your wife? Won't she say anything about that?

Master Sun Tze says, All warfare are based deception

hahahahaha just joking
                      Last edited by xinhui; 06 Jun 06,, 12:08.

Comment

When was the last time any of us got anything past our wives?

Comment

would like to bump this thread up.

col yu, xinhui,

there's a new book out by william h. mott and jae chang kim, "the philosophy of chinese military culture", subtitled "shi vs li" (as one can guess, they make a point in differentiating chinese vs western military thought).

am still going through the book now, but thus far it has been an interesting read.

http://www.amazon.com/Philosophy-Chi.../dp/1403971870

have you read the book? if not, would appreciate it if you could find it at the local university library and give it a glance, would love to hear input on the matter. much thanks.
                          There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Do you guys mind if I buy it? Amazon has only one copy left, and I'm sure I'd make less use of it than the other dignitaries on the board. If you guys wouldn't mind, I can try to pirate the book for you should I buy it, but please don't release it on a file-sharing service.

Comment

Go ahead. I've got tons of other paperwork to get through.

Comment

Kay-o. Thanks.

LOL, I bet the commander picked that painting up from some nearby artist for a few yuan.
                                Maybe, but upper class Chinese get really vain about their calligraphy.
                                Last edited by Inst; 22 Dec 06,, 00:41.

Comment

Working...
                                X