Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Greatest Ever Military Tanks

No 10. M4 Sherman.
    In total, nearly 50,000 of these 33 ton Shermans were built. This tank made it's debut in the western desert front campaign of 1942 and soon became the ubiquitous allied tank. The Brits had them, the French had them, the Canadians, Russians and Chinese had them. The engine was a 9-cylinder air-cooled aircraft engine giving the tank a top speed of 22mph. The 75mm main gun was considered superior, reliability and accuracy, but perhaps it's main advantage was it's speed and manoeuvrability.

No. 9. M551 Sheridan
    Steve Zaloga a military writer says: "The dream of tank designers, for decades, has been to develop a tank that's lightweight, easy to transport yet has the fire-power of a main battle-tank". The Sheridan could be dropped from an aircraft. The transport aircraft flies over the ground at about 100mph at a height of 10 or 20 feet and the drogue 'chute comes out and pulls the tank from the plane where it falls to the ground.

The Sheridan was also amphibious and it's light-weight came from aluminium armour. It had 4 forward gears and 2 reverse, giving a top speed close to 45mph. The main gun was a 152 calibre unit that fired laser-guided missiles as well as conventional rounds.

No. 8. Pz-Kw 5 Panther (Panzer)
    The single most important feature of the Panther was it's fire-power, the long 75mm gun the Panther introduced was probably the best all-round tank gun of World War II. It achieved it's power, not by going to a larger calibre, but by going to a longer barrel and a larger powder-charge. This gun could obliterate an enemy tank, broadside, from 2,000 metres.

The Panther stole it's sloping armour design from an earlier Russian tank which had previously out-classed any tank the Germans had. The Panther's debut was marred by frequent breakdowns, the complicated engineering just hadn't been proved.

No. 7. T72
    The T72 is a tank that was built by the Soviets to fight World War III. Designed to form the spear-head of a Soviet push into western Europe. The ultimate attack tank! It had thick armour, good mobility, a big gun and a very low profile.

It had a 125mm calibre gun which was fed shells by an automatic loading system. The automatic system meant, apart from better loading speed, it didn't need a crew member for loading thereby reduing the weight of the tank increasing it's speed and manoeuvrability.

No. 6. Swedish "S" Tank
    In the 1960's the Swedish brought out the S Tank as an instument of peace, the pacifist's choice. When the tank world first saw the S Tank they, collectively, shook their heads in disbelief.

From it's turret-less snout to it's protective fence, twin engines and built-in swimming skirt, the S Tank is, quite simply, unique. It was intended to fight in forested terrain where there would not have been room for a rotating turret.

No. 5. Centurion
    First seeing action in the closing stages of World War II, the Centurion is the longest serving main battle tank in the world. A favourite of cut-price armies in low-budget wars. It was the best tank in the world for a good 15 years.

Colonel John Gillman, tank tester, British Army, has spent his entire career at the heart of British tank development and the Centurion was his first love. He says: "When I joined my regiment, away back in 1968, my first vehicle was a Mk62 Centurion and we drove it for 3,500 miles which is an awful long way". The key to any tank success is battlefield maintenance and the Centurion can be kept running by it's crew with, literally, two spanners.

No. 4. Merkava
    In 1970, finding itself without a friend in the world and surrounded by irate neighbours the Israeli defence force decided to create a tank of it's own. Merkava, the DIY tank! From the mountains of the Golan Heights to the urbanised Gaza Strip, Israel faces a unique set of defensive demands.

The Merkava is a very successful vehicle bacause it can fight both in close urban combat and in traditional open warfare. Brigadier General Amir Nia, the Merkava tank project leader, says: "usually when you design a tank, you have to compromise between fire-power, protection and manoeuvrability. In our case protection and survivability is the most important thing"

No. 3. T34
    T34 invented sloping armour which in turn affected other parts of the design. A very thick cast turret carrying a 76mm gun much larger than anything else in it's time. The T34's exraordinary qualities were put under pressure when Germany tried to push eastwards in 1941. In the long and bloody confrontation on the Eastern Front the T34 became recognised as the premier tank of it's day.

Powering the T34 is a V-12 diesel, old airship, engine which dates back to the 1st World War. It was light and easy to maintain and was manufactured from the 1920's up to the present day.

No. 2. M1A2 Abrams
    It's big, it's very well protected, it's fast and has a darn big gun! A single Abrams can take on one or more of any other tank on the battlefield and still win. Described as the Rolls Royce of modern tanks which has seen the Americans through several wars.

Rocket-propelled grenades are extremely destructive weapons able to burn through up to30 inches of steel armour, but the Abrams tank is covered with a new generation of laminate armour which is lightweight and more than capable of dealing with an RPG. It's top-secret composition saved the life of Lt. Keith Montgomery when his tank came under fire in Baghdad.

No. 1. Leopard 2
    After World War II, Germany had been banned from building tanks. But by the 1970's a new Germany was allowed back into the tank shed and the technological excellence that created the Panther spawned a new generation of big cat. Leopard! The Greatest Ever Tank!

It is a combination of the best fire-power, the best protection and the best mobility in the world today. The Leopard 2 is a statement of European identity!

i didnot prepare the list but the list was prepared by best defence expert and tankers (tank personnel )

Comment

Personally I think the battle experience with the Abrams pulls it ahead of the Leopard II.

Originally posted by vinay60000
      The Leopard 2 is a statement of European identity!
      Oh dear, I hope not.
      HD Ready?

Comment

i really cannot argue which one (leopard 2 or abrams ) is better both have shown metals

Comment

OMG, that's the show I've seen earlier on the Discovery chanel. I haven't enough good word to describe it.

Comment

The SHERIDAN??????? The S-Tank???????

Surely they were smoking the crack when they made this list.

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by dalem

-dale
              That's exactly I was talking about last time.

Comment

Sheridan was a decent idea that never really worked out that work.

Comment

-dale

I'd rate the Sherman as mediocre too. Merely swamping an enemy with quantity doesnt make the tank great.
                  Karmani Vyapurutham Dhanuhu

Comment

Ft-17?
                    To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

-dale
                      The role the sheridan filled is an important one, but by no means is it a top 10 tank.

For the most part it's a good list though, even if the reasoning is gibberish.

Besides the two you named and the T-72, the rest should be on the list i'd think.

I'd replace those three with the Challenger, T-64, and T-80(or Tiger, i'm torn, lol), maybe shuffle the order a little, but beyond that i'm ok with their picks.

At least they didn't put the king tiger on there.

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith601
                        Sheridan was a decent idea that never really worked out that work.
                        It did exactly what we needed it to. It gave light airdropped infantry a light cavalry screening/recon force.

Had the Shellieghliegh missile worked out(and it sure did not), it would've been a much more useful vehicle, but it still got the job done. If nothing else they had great mobility and were pretty reliable.

OPFOR used em at NTC for years.

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
                          At least they didn't put the king tiger on there.
                          Haha, that would be a travesty. It was a fine tank- provided it was used correctly. But it isn't versatile enough to be on the top 10.

Panther was a good choice, but it should've been higher.
                          "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

Originally posted by troung
                            Ft-17?
                            Again, good call bro.

But then, i guess the MkI land ship should be on there too.

Comment

Of course the landship would be on any list... but the FT-17 did see action up until WW-2 and became the first AFV of many nations.

I think a couple land ships did turn up in Russian during WW-2... saw a couple pictures...

To be brutally honest the S-Tank was a dead end, the T-72 hardly changed armored warfare, and the M-551?

Even the M-3 Stuart had more of a world changing effect then the S-Tank. The AMX-13 saw more service and made up the backbone of more nations then the S-Tank. The S-Tank was and is a dead end.
                              To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

Working...
                              X