Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alright people. Does this place really deserve its name???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alright people. Does this place really deserve its name???

This place is called "World Affairs Board" but every time I look at the New Posts link, all that's being talked about is military technology. What is this mess?
    Over there, stupid!
    50.00%
    Uhh... Who the hell are you?
    21.88%
    We used to have them, but now we take a pill for that.
    12.50%
    PROTEST!!!
    15.63%

Maybe military technology controls the World (Affairs Board)

Comment

Originally posted by Nemesis
      This place is called "World Affairs Board" but every time I look at the New Posts link, all that's being talked about is military technology. What is this mess?
      Stick around, it all depends on whats on people's minds.

Either that, or start a World Affairs thread yourself!

The third option is obvious ;)
      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

I voted for "We used to have them, but now we take a pill for that". Tophatter said if I did not vote for it he would put his gun to my head.
        Meat cutting classification NAMP 1174; the porterhouse is NAMP 1173.

Comment

Last time I checked, wars and military affairs are inextricably intertwined with the history of the entire world, whether you look back to Ancient Greece or to modern times. Also, there was once a silly German that thought that war is just "the continuation of politics" and as such, one should actually figure out how to use this construct to develop strategy.

So, is your argument that the use of a particular military technology by an American in Iraq has zero bearing on world affairs? Or that the development of military technology by China for potential use against Taiwan or Japan or Korea has no bearing on current world affairs?

Given that we have members from around the globe (BTW, Chris, it'd be neat if a page like this could be added to WAB to improve its street cred for Nemesis and his ilk ;): http://www.smallwarsjournal.com/site/whovisits.htm) and discuss many of the same topics that you find coming out of the UN, I think that the title of the forum is quite appropriate.
          Last edited by Shek; 25 May 06,, 14:06.
          "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Let's make this topic one for learning. What military technology has had the most impact on world affairs, and what other technologies have had a strong impact.

I'd vote for the nuclear weapon for the military technology that has had the most impact. It defined the Cold War, it's the main reason that we are in Iraq today and why there's a showdown with Iran as well. It's the start of a strategic relationship with India and the US. It's a major reason why the US holds strong interests in maintaining ties with Pakistan. I think that counterproliferation and it's interaction with counterterrorism will dominate the 2008 US Presidential election.
            "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter
              Stick around, it all depends on whats on people's minds.

Either that, or start a World Affairs thread yourself!

The third option is obvious ;)
              lol...comeon....y dont u SPELL OUT the 3rd option for him! ;)

Comment

Originally posted by T-bone
                I voted for "We used to have them, but now we take a pill for that". Tophatter said if I did not vote for it he would put his gun to my head.
                It's only a little .380

Originally posted by percentage_plyr
                lol...comeon....y dont u SPELL OUT the 3rd option for him! ;)
                Two words: Plausible Deniability ;)
                “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

What is this mess?
                  Its an Officer's Mess for armed forces personnel, hence WAB synonymous with military jargon.

Well actually, wars gave boundaries to nations, military advancements gave rise to high speed travel and communication and the internet given generously to the world by the US military brought you here - a complete circle.

Comment

I picked protest, seeing as how it's quite fashionable for muslims to protest nowadays..........lol

Comment

Originally posted by shek
                      So, is your argument that the use of a particular military technology by an American in Iraq has zero bearing on world affairs? Or that the development of military technology by China for potential use against Taiwan or Japan or Korea has no bearing on current world affairs?
                      My argument is that 9/10 of the most active threads are how t0t4lly c00l this or that piece of military technology is.

It just seems like people here are alot more into how a war is fought than the principals for why a war is being fought.

Also, this forum seems to be disproportionately dominated the far right.

Comment

how about butter cookies ;).
                        Hala Madrid!!

Comment

My argument is that 9/10 of the most active threads are how t0t4lly c00l this or that piece of military technology is.

It just seems like people here are alot more into how a war is fought than the principals for why a war is being fought.

1. Build it and they will come. There's forums on military tech, and so there are threads on military tech. Also, I haven't done the total analysis, but I venture so far as to say that less than 10% of all active threads are about military tech. A quick way to see what the trends are over time is to just look at what forums get the most posts, and you'd see that the very specific military boards constitute a minority of posts, and even many of the posts within those forums deal with operational and strategic issues, not just tactical and technical issues.

2. Please illuminate what characteristics that the "far right" has and how those are exhibited on this board. There is a strong libertarian bent on the board that manifests itself into a conservative appearance if you try to use a liberal vs. conservative lens; however, the board certainly doesn't trend "far right" at all relative to the US. The current connotation of "far right" within the US conjures up images of evangelicalism, and outside of a handful of members, the majority of the board actually sees religion as causing more harm than the good that it does.

Comment

Originally posted by shek
                            2. Please illuminate what characteristics that the "far right" has and how those are exhibited on this board. There is a strong libertarian bent on the board that manifests itself into a conservative appearance if you try to use a liberal vs. conservative lens; however, the board certainly doesn't trend "far right" at all relative to the US. The current connotation of "far right" within the US conjures up images of evangelicalism, and outside of a handful of members, the majority of the board actually sees religion as causing more harm than the good that it does.
                            I guess I just didn't get a good sampling so far. It's just that the posters who, so far, have come off as the loudest to me seem very unsympathetic, set in their ways, unbending and quite frankly, extremely xenophobic. I myself have no problem with someone being a conservative, I'm in the middle on the political compass, with a small leaning towards liberalism, but to take it to either extreme is just extremely bad. For instance, saying something like "The illegals are commies." Are you kidding me? Making vast generalizations like that is not only unfair and untrue, but the root of all racism.

I'll probably end up lurking for a little while after today, just to see if I end up liking the place.

Comment

My argument is that 9/10 of the most active threads are how t0t4lly c00l this or that piece of military technology is..
                              You are what you eat.
                              Many of our members are military, ex-military, or civvie-puke enthusiasts (like me).

Most people here are well aware of the principals of why a war is fought.
                              This is easy to do because some of them have been in the wars.
                              They (especially Major Shek) provide countless threads that bring a "real" POV of the war, unlike the ratings-driven MSM which prefers to show everything that is going wrong. "If it bleeds, it leads"

I'll begin randomly selecting "far righters", dragging them out back and shooting them in the back of the head.

This way the board will be more proportionate.

OR....

You could encourage more people such as yourself to join the board and provide an intelligent counterpoint to what you see as right-wing dominance.

Comment

Working...
                              X