Is the world getting better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the world getting better?

In the long run, is the world on an upward or downward trend, or is it going both directions at once? By long run I mean at least the past century or two, preferably longer, say all of known history. If you consider the questions too simple, tell us how. Materially equals econ/law/gov't, health, environment, world peace. Morally equals Hitler, Mother Teresa, Stalin, civil rights, etc.
    Yes, the world is improving both materially and morally..
    17.14%
    Yes, the world is improving materially but is deteriorating/stagnating morally.
    32.38%
    Yes, the world is improving morally but is deteriorating/stagnating materially.
    1.90%
    No, the world sucks all around.
    24.76%
    Undecided.
    6.67%
    I don't give a rip.
    3.81%
    Nothing changes man, it's all the same trip
    13.33%
    Last edited by ArmchairGeneral; 25 May 06,, 02:13.
    I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Originally posted by ArmchairGeneral
    In the long run, is the world on an upward or downward trend, or is it going both directions at once? By long run I mean at least the past century or two, preferably longer, say all of known history. If you consider the questions too simple, tell us how. Materially equals econ/law/gov't, health, environment, world peace. Morally equals Hitler, Mother Teresa, Stalin, civil rights, etc.
    AG - Whats up with you and all the polls?

Oh, Wait - Maybe you are not the late mass-poll-creator. I have but half my mind this evening - my bad.
    Last edited by THL; 25 May 06,, 02:38.
    "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatsLiberal
      Only people who have voted may ask questions
      In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by parihaka
        Only people who have voted may ask questions
        Who made that rule?

Oh Damn!! That was a question, wasn't it?

Sh!t...there I went again with the questions, didn't I?

Oh for crying out loud, why must I keep on with the questions? I am going to have to vote multiple times now, aren't I? ;)
        "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

Morally equals Hitler.
          WTF.
          Meat cutting classification NAMP 1174; the porterhouse is NAMP 1173.

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatsLiberal

Oh, Wait - Maybe you are not the late mass-poll-creator. I have but half my mind this evening - my bad.
            Actually this is my first poll ever, and my second thread ever. No problem, though. :)

(edit) Make that my third thread. Oops.
            Last edited by ArmchairGeneral; 25 May 06,, 23:10.

Comment

Originally posted by T-bone
              WTF.
              That is intended to be an example of moral deterioration, not improvement. Next example is Mother Teresa, obviously at the other end of the spectrum.

Comment

The world was getting better until Bushitler took office. Then it went to the shiiters. The world will start to improve again once he leaves office. And one day, I will find manbearpig.
                "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Can somebody point me to where the world has got worse, either morally or materially, over say the last 200 years?

Leibniz

Comment

Can somebody point me to where the world has got worse, either morally or materially, over say the last 200 years?

Yes, They've stopped making 8-track tapes.
                    sigpicUSS North Dakota

Comment

Materially, larger populations without corresponding increases in productive capabilities has made Africa a worse place to live now than it was 200 years ago (many more people subsisting on substantially less resources). Morally man's capacity for destruction has increased dramatically (we have become much better organized as a species, thus mass murders of various populations/ethnicities are occuring more often and on a larger scale now than they did in the past). Idealogy has been a great motivator for humanity, however human beings being human, has also been a motivator for increasingly destructive acts. I am of the opinion that the world is still populated by human beings. While our circumstances may change, people remain pretty much the same.

Comment

Originally posted by 2DREZQ
                        Yes, They've stopped making 8-track tapes.
                        LOL, oh you poor sad chap... You've only got two ears, you only need two channels

Leibniz

Comment

That is intended to be an example of moral deterioration, not improvement. Next example is Mother Teresa, obviously at the other end of the spectrum.
                          As long as you are not saying he is moral that is ok.
                          Meat cutting classification NAMP 1174; the porterhouse is NAMP 1173.

Comment

Originally posted by lwarmonger
                            Materially, larger populations without corresponding increases in productive capabilities has made Africa a worse place to live now than it was 200 years ago (many more people subsisting on substantially less resources).
                            Not sure. I think all that has happened is the deaths have moved from infant to later in life. More children (and mothers) survive birth, but die of malnutrition or disease later.

Originally posted by lwarmonger
                            Morally man's capacity for destruction has increased dramatically (we have become much better organized as a species, thus mass murders of various populations/ethnicities are occuring more often and on a larger scale now than they did in the past). Idealogy has been a great motivator for humanity, however human beings being human, has also been a motivator for increasingly destructive acts. I am of the opinion that the world is still populated by human beings. While our circumstances may change, people remain pretty much the same.
                            I disagree about the more often statement but certainly there is a greater capacity to kill larger numbers.
                            I wonder if there's any studies of deaths from warfare as a percentage of population through history? I must have a look....

Leibniz

Comment

If you ever watch MTV, you'll find the brain-dead youngsters they interview on the show believe race relations is getting worse in the US (since King's death); our air is more polluted; water is nearly undrinkable; earth is getting warmer; poverty and famine around the world is on the march; and the earth will explode by 2075.
                              "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Working...
                              X