Is the world getting better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
    We have to be very careful with our multiculturalism though. It's slowly becoming the European model where everyone stays in their own enclave and demand the natives to "respect" their culture.
    You may be right. We'll see. Chinese have always been that way here. The Irish, Germans and Poles started out that way and slowly integrated. The Italians still have their little Italies.
    To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

the money i use says: e pluribus unum. a goal for all mankind to aspire to. should it ever become a reality, we will all benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by texacali View Post
        the money i use says: e pluribus unum. a goal for all mankind to aspire to. should it ever become a reality, we will all benefit.
        "No nation was ever ruined by trade." -Ben Franklin

God knows there's enough of that going on these days.

I don't know if the world's getting better or worse. Its sure getting interesting.

Comment

the chinese saying is may you live in interesting times. we have been blessed with that.

Comment

Originally posted by crooks View Post
            True, but America has this great talent - you manage to make people who might come from different cultures, religions (though you've grown dissapointingly bigoted there) and race come together as one and feel a sense of belonging.
            Sure you have the nutjobs who claim that you have to be white, Protestant, and descended from England or Scotland to be considered "American", but it's been a long time since anyone from a group like this held major power or was listened to for anything more than a good laugh at they're expence when they've finished.

Europe is almost completely different.
            I was surprised when in America that when you talk to a black or Asian person, they ALWAYS describe themselves as "Americans" and it never seemed odd to them.
            It wasn't till I came home that I realised why I was suprised - Ireland is homogenous, generally, and in the rare instance that you meet a black or asian person they never describe themselves as "Irish".
            "Nigerian" yes, "Korean", yes and "Brazilian", yes, but never do they answer to the place they live.
            We're not good at creating integration.
            It seems we build barriers, make them feel that you need Celtic blood and links, Gaeilge, a certain "Irish" look and mannerism and of course, you have to be "white" with a thousand traceable years of family heritage.

And we're the "tolerant" Europeans, on the continent, they LOVE the Irish, because we're defineable, and they like that.
            It sickens me to no end, we have a lot to learn.

I consider myself pro-US, I favour trans-atlanticism and think that you should be hugely proud of what you've achieved.
            A quick anecdote: I worked last fall with a 1st generation Mexican immigrant who had the opportunity to travel in Europe recently. Naturally, he expected to get along best in Spain, if only because of the common language, but to his pleasant surprise he found the Irish to be much more warm and receptive. Oh how he lauded Ireland.

As for this threat posed by multiculturalism, I seriously question it. Another anecdote: My Catholic grade school student body is composed of roughly 20% 1st-generation immigrants (Yes, I graduated long ago, my brother attends currently), mostly from West Africa and Laos. I repeat, this is a private, Catholic, suburban school. Their all kids. Culture doesn't stop them from drawing naughty pictures in the bathroom and getting acne.

Comment

I don't think humans have change since Genesis, brother will get jealous and kill brother. Children take in prejudice and the other attitudes, like tolerance, with their mother's milk. Those that follow us will make the world according to what we teach them.

Comment

Originally posted by glyn View Post
                To a 'lesser' degree, YellowFever? I think the entire First World can safely be tarred with the same brush.

I guess I agree with you to a point.

Let's just say Europe is driving off that cliff at 60 mph while the US doing it at 40 mph.

The thing is, America IS changing alot these days.
                Not like when I got here where my parents (and their children) would think of ourselves as americans first and tried very hard to adopt to their ways.

These days, it seem like the whole world is trying to get in to the US purely for economic reasons as opposed to idealistic reasons....

Comment

Originally posted by texacali View Post
                  the chinese saying is may you live in interesting times. we have been blessed with that.
                  May you live in interesting times is a curse, and not a blessing.

Comment

Originally posted by glyn View Post
                    Explain, please
                    It appears that others have given an answer before I arrived.
                    What I meant is exactly like, for example Crooks said. In Europe, the politicians are boosting active multiculturalism, in which they think that different cultures can coexist and love each other.
                    What happens is: the native population has to be tolerant of other cultures, because you're an evil nazi if you don't. The immigrants don't have to do anything, they can hate you and your "whore people", it is allowed for them because it's their culture and we have to be sensible.

The degree in which the above happens, at least in the Benelux and France, is not to be underestimated. I can give several examples. The French banlieu riots, when immigrant youth threw molotov cocktails at cars. In Russia, the US or Israel they would be machine gunned. Here they spoke about "misunderstood youth".
                    Theo van Gogh, killed in the Netherlands for a movie. No one said anything, even given the fact that the letter nailed with a knife to his back clearly said: "you shall burn, Babylon, you shall burn, Europe, you shall burn, infidel".
                    Not to mention the AEL under Abou JahJah. The CIA would have eliminated the man before he was born, here he was publicly speaking about that Belgians have to integrate themselves into Arab culture.
                    No reaction whatsoever, only from the hardcore right, who were treated as nazi.

That, and the fact that the immigrants get 7-8 kids. In 30 years it's possible that 1/3 of all Western Europe would be muslim.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                      May you live in interesting times is a curse, and not a blessing.
                      Wiccans have never looked so good o0

Comment

Originally posted by FibrillatorD View Post
                        Wiccans have never looked so good o0
                        If you take off all those bracelets and gothic clothes, they look like normal naked women

Comment

paraphrasing an old advisement; Rejoice in all your trials and tribulations by which your faith is strengthened.
                          Adversity has been the spur for courage and innovation throughout man's history, why should we deny the challenge? Hasn't it been seen before?
                          Blood, sweat and tears will be required in any event. If we desire to change the present, let alone the future, how about getting behind a definable goal? Let's say an attainable mark, and proceed from there.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                            The world runs in a sine regime.

Civilization gets strong -> civilization gets rich. It gets rich -> it gets fat and defenceless. Defenceless civilization -> barbarians come and invade. Barbarians conquer -> they get strong and rich ...

You mean next Chinese will conquered the world(Billions of little educated poeple....)

Edit: Grammar.
                            Last edited by Enzo Ferrari; 28 Jul 07,, 06:28.

Comment

yon Cassius has a lean and hungry look. Competition is in the cards for all of us. The question is in my mind; will it accelerate global well being for all or merely line the pockets of those who desire a gold-plated coffin. Getting back to the original thread, I believe that the attitude of the world has improved, morally towards the disadvantaged, and materially for many. After all, there was a 100-200 year time span posited.

Comment

You can look at it this way. Every huge social movement (American Revolution, Communism, etc. etc. etc.) intended for people to change for the better. Instead each time people ended up adapting the idea to their needs, rather then changing themselves for the better. Realistically this means that humans themselves have not become any better in the traditional sense of the word (i.e. kinder, more compassionate, more ethical).

The problem however is that there is no such thing as "better overall". When you ask has the world become better my reply would be "Better for whom?"

Comment

Working...
                                X