Is the world getting better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dwarven Pirate View Post
    But evolution certainly does affect more than musculature and bone structure. The growth of one's brain and central nervous system is controlled by the same processes that control how long your fingers are, namely, your DNA. Or can it be explained how one's brain is somehow off-limits when it comes to evolution change? Even random mutation ought to affect one's brain somehow, somewhere.
    Speaking of DNA, here's an interesting idea for you. Back in the 1970's, Timothy Leary of LSD fame wrote a serious book (never published to my knowledge, through drafts exist) which was titled Nurologic. Despite his jester reputation he was a highly accomplished behavioral scientist. In the book he explains that the DNA contains all the history of a living thing's evolution AND the instructions for its future evolution.

In humans he explains that we can trace man's evolution by observing
    the various stages of embryonic growth today. During gestation, the embryo replicates years of evolution and we can see all the forms in which humans were born over many, many years. The stage at which a baby is now born represents the farthest advance of human evolution. But, get this! The DNA which controls the development of the embryo does not play out all the way. In other words, it's like a CD that stops at a certain point, but has more on it to play. And that unplayed part, Leary said is the instructions for man's future evolution. He wanted to devise a way to force the CD to play itself out so that we could see what man would look like in the very distant future... Pretty radical.

Last edited by JAD_333; 07 Nov 07,, 21:26.
    To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

• Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
      It is. So, you're a McCoy...do you know any Hatfields?:))
      Anybody with a Mc or Mac in front of their name is kin of mine. Alas I'm not much chop on the feuding side of things, apart from my surviving sister who I'm going to have a hard time being polite to should we meet again I just really can't hold a grudge. Must have evolved eh?;)
      In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

• Sounds interesting, however whacked out he might have been. The attachment is unfortunately invalid.

Comment

• Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
          Anybody with a Mc or Mac in front of their name is kin of mine. Alas I'm not much chop on the feuding side of things, apart from my surviving sister who I'm going to have a hard time being polite to should we meet again I just really can't hold a grudge. Must have evolved eh?;)
          Maybe a couple of years in Appalachia on a hard scrabble farm and a pint of shine every day will bring out the Mc in you. Then it's watch out, sis.

Comment

Sounds interesting, however whacked out he might have been. The attachment is unfortunately invalid.
            What was wrong with the attachment? It came from an unimpeachable source--wiki.

Comment

• Click on it. It doesnt work. (no matter)

Comment

Click on it. It doesnt work. (no matter)
                Ah, excuse me. It wasn't supposed to be linked. It illustrated the point about stages of the embryo, but each was a different species...

But here is a link that illustrates it better.

Visible Embryo Home Page

Click anywhere on the time line circle. Cheers.

Comment

• Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                  Did you know the ice sheet on the SOUTH pole is getting thicker because it's colder there now?

I think the world is getting worse because the next ice age will hit soon. Everything above the temperate zone will be covered by vast glaciers and millions of people will be forced to most to the tropics.
                  i think u r talking about the big freeze, which is still 10.000 years away

i was merely talking about the immediate future the next 30-years

& every body knows that in the Next 30-years there is going to be chaos all around due to melting of the polar ice.

Comment

• Originally posted by wajahat View Post
                    i think u r talking about the big freeze, which is still 10.000 years away

i was merely talking about the immediate future the next 30-years

& every body knows that in the Next 30-years there is going to be chaos all around due to melting of the polar ice.
                    No he's talking about right now. the Antarctic is getting colder.
                    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

• Well, I guess things are looking up.

Comment

• Well, the Beatles sang - It is getter better all the time!

I am their fan!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

• Originally posted by Ray View Post
                          Well, the Beatles sang - It is getter better all the time!

I am their fan!
                          What does "better" mean? Contentment? Are people more content on the whole?

Contentment, happyness, satisfaction can be measured by how closely people fulfil their expectations. The greatest malcontentment exists where affluence rubs against deprivation. That's never been worse.

Whatever the Beatles sang, the Stones sang "I can't get no satisfaction"

Comment

• Here's my take on it:

Comment

Working...
                            X