US Marine Corps to be phased out??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Marine Corps to be phased out??

Hi there, I'm taking an advanced composition course this summer and am writing my term paper on the argument over whether the US Marine Corps should be phased out and integrated into the Army and Navy. Does anyone know of any good sources (books, articles, etc.) for research on this topic, or where I can find some? Thanks!

I'm going to move this one to a more appropriate place.

Drop by the Intro forum and tell us a little bit about yourself. :)
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Just ask some marines what they think of the idea (preferably after they've had a few beers). Then you won't have to worry about your paper ever again!

Comment

The very existance of the USMC AND the USMC fixed wing contingent is protected by US law.

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
          The very existance of the USMC AND the USMC fixed wing contingent is protected by US law.
          Which can be changed.
          Col Hackworth had the same idea.
          "Any relations in a social order will endure if there is infused into them some of that spirit of human sympathy, which qualifies life for immortality." ~ George William Russell

Comment

Originally posted by sparten
            Which can be changed.
            Col Hackworth had the same idea.
            Well you sure know where to start in your goal to disband them. ;)

Comment

The Pentagon's New Map by Thomas PM Barnett

Some interesting ideas in there about the USMC Many many Rank & File like this guy a lot.
              sigpicUSS North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by 2DREZQ
                The Pentagon's New Map by Thomas PM Barnett

Some interesting ideas in there about the USMC Many many Rank & File like this guy a lot.
                Is that supposed to be a link 2D?

Comment

Originally posted by lwarmonger
                  Just ask some marines what they think of the idea (preferably after they've had a few beers). Then you won't have to worry about your paper ever again!

I'll follow those steps with none other than R. Lee Ermey, but throw in asking him if I can drive his jeep, right inbetween between the few beers and asking him if the USMC should be phased out.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.. I actually am a Marine (reservist) myself, and I have a good bit of knowledge on the subject already. However, for my class I am required to use and document 8-10 SCHOLARLY sources such as books, articles, online journals, etc., and not things like some dude's myspace blog or watching mail call. But thanks anyway

Comment

Go to your college library... or don't tell me you picked a topic to show off and come to find out are stuck actually having to research for the paper... might then want to find an easier topic....
                      To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

Well i argued this subject with a USMC gunnery sergeant in pretty indepth detail in the naval forums. do a forum search there, that will give you a lot of good mental fodder.

Also, someone just started a thread about the viability of US Airborne troops air assaulting from USN carriers, which has been done in actual operational missions.

So there's some more background data.

Beyond those, you're gonna have to work for your grade, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
                          Is that supposed to be a link 2D?
                          Oops, sorry, no. I just reverted to the old style of underlining a book title.

Try this.
                          sigpicUSS North Dakota

Comment

Heeman82....Try the Marine Corps Gazette. E-Mail: [email protected] Web Site: mca-marines.org/gazette

Just after WW 2 (1946) there was a big push to disband the Corps that resulted in Congressional Hearings. Try the Libary of Congress. This resulted in the Key West Agreement of 1947.

R/S Jake
                            "War to the knife....Knife to the hilt"
                            Last edited by FSV; 27 May 06,, 03:39. Reason: Addition

Comment

Originally posted by FSV
                              Heeman82....Try the Marine Corps Gazette. E-Mail: [email protected] Web Site: mca-marines.org/gazette

Just after WW 2 (1946) there was a big push to disband the Corps that resulted in Congressional Hearings. Try the Libary of Congress. This resulted in the Key West Agreement of 1947.

R/S Jake
                              "War to the knife....Knife to the hilt"
                              I didn't know Key West had anything to do with the marines at all. That's the same law that majoritively prohibits the US Army from operating fixed wing aircraft.

Comment

Working...
                              X