Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very cool. Didn't know Dusty was all over Silver Threads. Here's Ronstadt performing her cover with a smokin' band that I can't really identify. Sure DesertSWO would know who they are. Both vid and aud sorta suck-

"This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

• Here's Ronstadt performing her cover with a smokin' band that I can't really identify

That vid was recorded on 11 November 1976 at the Rockpalast in Offenbach, Germany.

Your answer...

Linda Ronstadt - Vocals
      Michael Botts - Drums, Percussions
      Dan Dugmore - Guitar, Pedal Steel Guitar
      Kenny Edwards - Bass, Guitar, Banjo, Mandolin, Harmonica, Vocals
      Andrew Gold - Keyboards, Guitars, Bass, Vocals
      Waddy Wachtel - Guitar, Vocals
      Brock Walsh - Keyboards
      sigpic

Comment

• sigpic

Comment

• We're so bad, we're even bad at it

Comment

• I'm sure I've posted it already

Jeff Beck's control over guitar sound is astounding. I admire in awe each time.

We're so bad, we're even bad at it

Comment

• Andrey,

I see you workin' that Yardbirds derivative thingy. Here's something from Beck when he was more of an azzhole bad-ass rocker and less the iconic respected axeman-

Bob Tench handling the vocals with Max Middleton on the ivories.

1968. Band so good that future Rolling Stones guitarists permitted to play only bass here. Nicky Hopkins on piano. Rod Stewart on vocals.
              "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

• just a reminder that we are getting older. They played this on the local station as I was coming home from work. I was LMAO

Comment

• Originally posted by S2 View Post
                  Andrey,
                  I see you workin' that Yardbirds derivative thingy. Here's something from Beck when he was more of an azzhole bad-ass rocker and less the iconic respected axeman
                  Thanks, I like Beck's covers a lot more, his instrumental prowess for me outweights his songwriting talents by far. Quite the opposite with Neil Young, for instance ;)
                  We're so bad, we're even bad at it

Comment

• I met this guy in late February - now serving. Shame.

Comment

• "...Quite the opposite with Neil Young, for instance "

Neil holds a special place in my world. First concert I ever attended was Neil in January 1973 touring Old Man and others from HARVEST. I was already well in though. I'd been listening since 11 years age in 1966 to the Buffalo Springfield and, then, CSN&Y. Hadn't really considered his solo career at that point. Sort of seemed like an afterthought until I started actually looking.

My guitar friends used to make fun of him but Neil is old school insofar as seeking a loose band "feel". His own control of tone and timing is, IMV, impeccable. I adore this vid posted below. He's ancient by this point (2003). Energy however, as you'll see, is undiminished and unique among his peers for it's uncontrived, honest enthusiasm. Nothing postured here. He's totally in the moment.

Altogether a nice, rollicking, sloppy...but deadly contrast to above-

Stills, his running mate in the Buffalo Springfield and CSN&Y, was always considered the more technically polished player. Some great examples here of polished axesmanship from Stills and Clapton-

Last edited by S2; 07 Aug 14,, 06:43.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Andrey Egorov View Post
                          Thanks, I like Beck's covers a lot more, his instrumental prowess for me outweights his songwriting talents by far. Quite the opposite with Neil Young, for instance ;)
                          Many people don't like Young due to the tone of his voice, but it seems so perfect for Old Man, delivers in all the right ways.

Love this song lyrically too, generic was never further away.

Comment

• Remember watching live at woodstock for the first time, the best thing, I didn't know what I was about to see, this. It struck me then, instantly, I was watching a very special performance.

Love those near emasculated back-up vocalists. The lead guitar kicking in early is out there on its own, acting as a distinct anchor versus the original Beatles studio version. The one thing The Beatles sacrifice is a bit of grit, Cocker delivers a truck load.

The split screen video aides the natural interaction between Cocker and the backup vocalists, as originally intended by Lennon and McCarthy as a conversation between the singers. An appropriate device given the song's main theme of friendship and companionship.

It's a timeless song before Cocker ever graced it with his semi-frenetic animation. I love how his vocal sways from moments of control and sweet clarity to bellowing hoarsely on repeat.

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrey Egorov View Post
                              Very true. The idea of actually singing is quite unpopular. I've tried three times to start a really heavy band with actual vocals, neither vocalists nor musicians were interested
                              Originally posted by S2 View Post
                              Much darkness. No doubt about musical and instrumental chops. Abundantly present.

Vocals? Usual monster-metal thingy. Seems, though, to suit themes of war, death and destruction seemingly commonplace to metal compositions.
                              Metal delivers, just on a very narrow platform.

What you need is Down, my favourite metal band, legitimate attempt on vocals and lyrics. I pulled the below 3 from their album Nola, these boys have variety, harmony and a composition which allows vocals to play a meaningful role, yet they still deliver with the heavy stuff.

Comment

• We're so bad, we're even bad at it

Comment

Working...
                                X