Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A good reply deserves a good retort . Seeing as the Beatles or Mr Lennon are clearly a fave of yours , which you have demonstrated over the years . I send you this !
    Completely off it ' s tits , but / or and a fine setting !

it ' s generally how I feel about most things , strangely enough all the time !

Comment

• Haha, that was very good : )

Go Fish

Comment

• ok then children

That was crap ... ;)

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Toby View Post
            ok then children

That was crap ... ;)
            Did ring a bell, and wondered from where,

here

like it

Comment

• Here's a funk jam by Prince when was all of 19

Comment

• The 1980s wasn't the best time for popular music. A lot of the best music of that decade was 'underground' or 'indie'. One of the finest of those bands was St Paul, Minnesota based punk/indie band Husker Du. Drummer Grant Hart was one of the founders of the band in 1979. he wrote some of its best songs. After an acrimonious break up in 1988 he recorded some great material solo and wiht Nova Mob. Grant Hart died yesterday of cancer aged 56.

This early song was written about a family friend from St Paul who was abducted & killed:

Zen Arcade was one of the great albums of the 80s, a punk double concept album. This song was about the young man who was album's subject losing his girlfriend to drugs:

Last edited by Bigfella; 15 Sep 17,, 09:39.
                sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

• The 1986 album Candy Apple Grey was the band's commercial label debut. It had a couple of killer Grant Hart tracks.

sigpic

Comment

• Always one with an ear for a catchy hook, Hart's work with Nova Mob verged on power pop at times.

In 2009 Hart returned to music after time running a restaurant with a great album. The following year I was fortunate to see him play a small venue in Melbourne. It was a great show full of songs from all parts of his career. As soon as the show finished my friends & I left, only to find him standing alone outside the Pub smoking a cigarette. I got an autograph & listened to him chat with some fans. Relaxed, friendly & pure class. Sadly missed.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                      Did ring a bell, and wondered from where,

here

like it
                      lol, comes with old age....let us say the guy put more effort into his music than others did that were more commercially successful. Just like this guy
                      and yes that upsets me.
                      Last edited by Toby; 15 Sep 17,, 21:09.

Comment

• and how we never got to hear this guy

growing up in the same way as we heard Simon and Garfunkel or Dylan etc is bordering on criminal!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                          Here's a funk jam by Prince when was all of 19

This is one of those bits of music you just let run in the background..very classy!

Comment

• Amongst the first music I bought, from Afflex palace.....

Last edited by Toby; 16 Sep 17,, 11:19.

Comment

• The Mondays were the house band at the Hacienda and they were mental!!

Comment

• Quite a few bands in the 90's sprung up playing Acid Jazz or Funk fusions bordering on Triptronic some of it alot of them were indie labels
                                Crazy Penis(P) were amongst the best, but somehow never became big commercial success's, still going..still good

Comment

Working...
                                X