Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Comment

• On this 4th anniversary of Ilovaisk and the 'corridor' that never was;

Comment

Comment

• In honor of Hurricane Florence coming to town later this week...

“Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
              Mark Twain

Comment

Comment

Comment

• Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                    Thanks Oracle. I really mean it. I smiled & shed a few tears.

The Seekers were the soundtrack to my childhood. It was always on the stereo. My parents were at that concert in 1967 in the crowd of 200,000. It was the year they married. I came along a few years later and then my brothers. The two people at that concert weren't the same two people who brought me up. They were people I didn't get to meet. Not necessarily better, just different. All the joy & sadness that I witnessed was yet to come.

It also reminds me how much I still miss my Dad.

Our dear departed Minskaya was also a Seekers fan. Miss her too.

One for the faithful departed:

This isn't really a Seekers song, but it was written by Bruce Woodley (first vocalist) and this is a great version. I would happily have it as the national anthem. It is also close to the band for a little known reason (when they were famous anyway). Bruce Potger (the other guitarist) was born in Sri Lanka of mixed ancestry. He 'passed' in the 60s, but he is very much a part of our multicultural story.

In the front row of that concert was another Australian legend - David Gordon Kirkpatrick aka Slim Dusty.

sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

• Bigfella,
                      I don't know what to say, I'm not very good at ..... talking emotions. I'm sorry for what you went through. Everybody, every single kid deserves to grow up in the shadow of their parents. Mine are still alive, but of late I have started to live with this fear of losing them any day. I can't say I am mentally prepared for the eventuality, because, as the only son I want them to outlive me. I know this is not possible, and it saddens me. I have done a lot of shit in my life, and they always forgave me. I fought with them a lot, still do, but it's they who come around to lift my mood, even if most of the times the fault is mine. Parents.......ahh....they are Gods in human form. At this age, I need to be more considerate towards them. They are old, and getting older, and when I was a kid, it was they who cleaned my shit and fed me, made sure I had a good education and become what I am today.

This song, and other events that bring back memories of people we love are what matters. We can't get back yesterday, but we can always cherish our fondness for them. I'm glad you liked the song. That feeling, which we have for our parents, is mutual.

Now, cheer up and share with us a few details about your first heartache. :D
                      Last edited by Oracle; 12 Sep 18,, 14:59.
                      Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                        Bigfella,
                        I don't know what to say, I'm not very good at ..... talking emotions. I'm sorry for what you went through. Everybody, every single kid deserves to grow up in the shadow of their parents. Mine are still alive, but of late I have started to live with this fear of losing them any day. I can't say I am mentally prepared for the eventuality, because, as the only son I want them to outlive me. I know this is not possible, and it saddens me. I have done a lot of shit in my life, and they always forgave me. I fought with them a lot, still do, but it's they who come around to lift my mood, even if most of the times the fault is mine. Parents.......ahh....they are Gods in human form. At this age, I need to be more considerate towards them. They are old, and getting older, and when I was a kid, it was they who cleaned my shit and fed me, made sure I had a good education and become what I am today.

This song, and other events that bring back memories of people we love are what matters. We can't get back yesterday, but we can always cherish our fondness for them. I'm glad you liked the song. That feeling, which we have for our parents, is mutual.

Now, cheer up and share with us a few details about your first heartache. :D
                        Sorry if my post came off as a bit glum oracle. It wasn't meant to be. Those beautiful songs brought up as much happiness as sadness. Probably more. My Dad lived a good 25 years after that day and saw his children to adulthood. Mum is still in fine form in her late 70s. It was nice to think of them young & happy.
                        sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                          Sorry if my post came off as a bit glum oracle. It wasn't meant to be. Those beautiful songs brought up as much happiness as sadness. Probably more. My Dad lived a good 25 years after that day and saw his children to adulthood. Mum is still in fine form in her late 70s. It was nice to think of them young & happy.
                          All well then.

Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• Now this is an interesting video... Not because of the music or the Lady, but it is in 'Romeyka', a form of what is known as Pontic Greek and the oldest still spoken form of 'classical Greek' dating back to Constantinople times. In Romeyka they still have the infinitive which in modern Greek is extinct.

Comment

• And now for something entirely different:

One of the band's softer songs. In case someone wants to check it out the below is what they do otherwise:

They've been at it for 10 years now.

Current vocalist used to sing pop with "the Japanese version of t.a.t.u." about 15 years ago (you may note that she does sound and styles a bit like the random Russian Eurovision entry...), current drummer is the stepdaughter of Terry Bozzio who has been playing with Frank Zappa since the mid 70s.
                              Last edited by kato; 23 Sep 18,, 20:08.

Comment

• Last edited by Oracle; 30 Sep 18,, 18:55.

Comment

Working...
                                X