World War III starts tommorow- BB question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trip Cancellation

My wife had to be checked into the hospital this morning and will be there at least 3 days. So I had to cancel my trip to Benicia. However, I turned over all my plans, notes and presentations to my second in command.

Sorry guys. Just too much on my mind now. Our daughter is making sure somebody stays with me for the rest of the day.
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship
      My wife had to be checked into the hospital this morning and will be there at least 3 days. So I had to cancel my trip to Benicia. However, I turned over all my plans, notes and presentations to my second in command.

Sorry guys. Just too much on my mind now. Our daughter is making sure somebody stays with me for the rest of the day.
      All my best for you and your wife Dick, hope she is feeling better soon.
      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Attempting to keep the Iowa class battleships operational is akin to keeping a AM radio of a 1957 Chevrolet operational; my favorite classic automobile. For starters, its almost impossible to find a vacuum tube in today's world, much less any of the other parts to that AM radio, and we could easily purchase a superior modern iPod MP3 player which can recieve Podcasts. I hope everyone gets the antiquated situation with the Iowa class battleships.

The power plant at where I work currently, some 30 years in age, is acquiring brand new generators because of the difficulty of finding parts to 30 year old generators. We will be installing the new generators at the next scheduled outage. That's what today's utilities do when facing antiquated equipment.
        Last edited by Sea Toby; 16 May 06,, 00:40.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Toby
          Attempting to keep the Iowa class battleships operational is akin to keeping a AM radio of a 1957 Chevrolet operational; my favorite classic automobile. For starters, its almost impossible to find a vacuum tube in today's world, much less any of the other parts to that AM radio, and we could easily purchase a superior modern iPod MP3 player which can recieve Podcasts. I hope everyone gets the antiquated situation with the Iowa class battleships.
          Decent point I suppose...but you lost me at "we could easily purchase a superior modern...."

WRT replacing the capabilities of a battleship, eliminate "easily purchase" and stick in phrases like "decade-long gestation" or "spiraling costs" or "countless cancelled programs" and you'll be describing the situation a little better.
          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Oddly enough i sure don't seem to have any problems finding parts for my 23yo Porsche, of which only 2000 were built world wide.

I was at a car show saturday and there were TWO old fellas there with ALL ORIGINAL MINT CONDITION Model A Fords.

I wonder where-ever do they get the parts?

If there is demand......there will be a supply.

BTW Sea Toby, you never did answer my PM. What's the deal with the Vietnam War POW comment you made some months back?

Comment

It's not like things in engineering are custom parts. You can replace pumps and machinery in engineering easily. The forced draft blowers are horizonal type and horizontal types are used on LHA's, LPD's and LSD's among other ships. Main feed pumps, fire pumps, main feed boosters, circulating pumps, main air ejectors can be taken off other steam ships and put in a BB's engineering space, there's enough room. The large Griscom-Russell submerged basket evaporators can be replaced by modern flash type which are more efficient and take less space. The problem is and always will be the number of engineers it takes to man 4 firerooms, 4 engine rooms, 2 aux spaces, a/c plants and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by RAL's_pal?
                It's not like things in engineering are custom parts. You can replace pumps and machinery in engineering easily.
                Sure, just drop by Alabama, North Carolina, Massachusetts, or the other two Iowas that don't get reactivated

Originally posted by RAL's_pal?
                The forced draft blowers are horizonal type and horizontal types are used on LHA's, LPD's and LSD's among other ships.
                Which reminds me...

Are there any ships left in the fleet (I'm sure you keep a current copy of Jane's Fighting Ships at your bedside) that you could pluck a snipe out of, and then with a minimal amount of retraining, stuff them into an Iowa's engineering space?

Comment

My last copy of Janes is 1986. My last copy of Conways is early 1990's. I haven't opened the Janes or Conways for years. I'd imagine you could take any snipe off a steam ship and put him in an Iowa. It's not studying for brain surgery, the systems run the same and it's just a matter of training to know where all the valves and shut offs are. Of course the auxilliary ships I listed don't have seperate fire and engine rooms, rather just a main machinery space with everything there. I think you had better pluck about 100 snipes and put them down there for training. There probably are still POG (propulsional operational guides) printed for each ship that have piping, valve, machinery lay outs of each system for that specific ship to study. I wouldn't be surprised if cRusty had some tucked away, (if he didn't donate them). I had a bunch for DDG's, CG's and Sprucans but I must have tossed them years ago because I haven't seem them in years.

Comment

The Sacramento AEs use Iowa powerplants.

They were snatched from directly from the scrapped 5th Iowa after the war (Kentucky i think?).

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
                      The Sacramento AEs use Iowa powerplants.

They were snatched from directly from the scrapped 5th Iowa after the war (Kentucky i think?).

But all that class of ships (AOE 1-4) have been decommissioned and stricken from the Naval registry. All awaiting disposal. USS Sacramento will be sunk during an upcoming sinkex

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape
                        But all that class of ships (AOE 1-4) have been decommissioned and stricken from the Naval registry. All awaiting disposal. USS Sacramento will be sunk during an upcoming sinkex
                        Irrelevant. What is relevant is that hundreds of sailors are still around of serving age that are INTIMATELY familiar with those power plants. Not to mention the resource of spare parts those four ships represent.

Comment

I don't follow these things but it wouldn't surprise me if some pieces of machinery were or will be taken out of the Sacramento class ships and put aside. When the BB's were being reactivated, the Navy was granted permission to cannabilize parts off museum BB's if necessary.

Comment

I have a question thats been of interest to me for a while now, what would happen if there was a world war 3? As far as the U.S goes? What would the most likely course of action be? I mean, the USN isn't of a size to handle a world war is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Defcon 6
                              I have a question thats been of interest to me for a while now, what would happen if there was a world war 3? As far as the U.S goes? What would the most likely course of action be? I mean, the USN isn't of a size to handle a world war is it?
                              Start a new thread, I'm sure it'll get a huge response :)

Comment

Working...
                              X