US Line Companies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Line Companies

I've noticed that US companies tend to avoid using the letter J. Anybody know why? You have Alfa companies, Charlie Companies, Fox Companies, etc. Never one with a J though.

Maybe the "J" sound might confuse people with the "G" sound. Do we have G companies?

We do have "jarheads" though.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith601
      I've noticed that US companies tend to avoid using the letter J. Anybody know why? You have Alfa companies, Charlie Companies, Fox Companies, etc. Never one with a J though.
      Why would you goto J? The largest battalion is 6 companies with one of those companies as the HQ. At a stretch, you might goto Golf but you will never get to Hotel, let alone India and Julliet.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
        Why would you goto J? The largest battalion is 6 companies with one of those companies as the HQ. At a stretch, you might goto Golf but you will never get to Hotel, let alone India and Julliet.
        The Marines and Cavalry regiments still use the continous lettering regimental model.
        1st Battalion: A-D
        2nd Battaloin: E-H
        3rd Battalion: I, K-M

Also, in WWII the US Army as a whole used a similar system, but never J.

Comment

Who would want to be in "Juliet" company?

LOL....

Comment

I believe it was to avoid confusion with the lowercase letter "i". In standard typeface (and with old typewriter ribbons) "i" and "j" can look quite similar.

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
              Sir,
              The gunners seem to have named their bty with alphabets like P, Q, R. I wanted to be different I guess.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
                Who would want to be in "Juliet" company?

LOL....
                I'd call it Jackal Company or something.

Comment

Working...
                X