Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pak. gifted 34 trainer planes to Saudi Arabia, Oman and Syria

'Pak. gifted 34 trainer planes to Saudi Arabia, Oman and Syria'

Islamabad, May. 7 (PTI): Failing to secure markets for its indigenously manufactured trainer aircraft 'Mashak', Pakistan gifted 34 planes worth millions of dollars to rich countries like Saudi Arabia, Oman and Syria in 1989.

The gifts were made during the tenure of General Aslam Baig as the Chief of Army.

The Public Accounts Committee, which met last week, was also told that Pakistan had suffered major losses in the sale of 25 Mashak aircraft to Iran, 'Daily Times' reported today.

Subsequently, Islamabad gave away 20 Mashak aircraft manufactured at the Pakistan Aeronautical Complex (PAC), Kamra, to Saudi Arabia, eight to Oman and six to Syria, Air Marshal Khalid Chaudhry, recently appointed head of the PAC Kamra, told the Committee.

The committee was meeting to review defence-related spending after the Auditor General of Pakistan submitted details of the losses suffered on account of the 1989 deal with Iran to it, the paper said.

According to official records of the meeting, it said, Committee Chairman Riaz Fatiyana was at a loss to understand why the PAC Kamra, a commercial organisation funded from taxpayers' money, was giving these aircraft away as gifts.

"Are you gifting all these locally manufactured aircraft to foreign countries or earning some thing out of their sale as well," Fatiyana asked Air Marshal Chaudhry.

Chaudhry replied that Pakistan had recently sold Mashak aircraft to South Africa at a profit of 15,000 dollars per plane. The PAC Kamra has also sold 55 Mashak aircraft to the Pakistan Navy and 125 to the Pakistan Army, he said.
    http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/h...0605071614.htm
    Failure or magnanimity at the taxpayer's expense?

And then ask the US to make up the difference with "proper" aircraft!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

If you are a dictatorship, there is no need for accountability towards the tax payers and tax revenue. Pakistani people are living as slaves, the Army will and has been spending the money however it pleases, and there's nothing the Pakistan people can do about it.
    I rant, therefore I am.

Comment

The PAC was meeting to review defence related spending after the auditor general of Pakistan submitted details of the losses suffered on account of the 1989 deal with Iran to the committee.

According to the official record of the meeting, committee Chairman Riaz Fatiana was at a loss to understand why the PAC Kamra, a commercial organisation funded from taxpayers’ money, was giving these aircraft away as gifts.

“Are you gifting all these locally manufactured aircraft to foreign countries or earning something out of their sale as well?” Fatiana asked Air Marshal Chaudhry.

Chaudhry replied that Pakistan had recently sold Mushak aircraft to South Africa at a profit of $15,000 per plane. The PAC has also sold 55 Mushak aircraft to the Pakistan Navy and 125 to the Pakistan Army.
      Apparently there is accountability, thats why they're reviewing the situation.

Comment

The review is on. But is the reviewing authority strong enough to take action? Does it have a constitutional authority? What authority does the constitution itself have when the Army can change it at its will.

There's aren't any checks and balances in the system, and the Pakistani military rules the people by the gun.
        I rant, therefore I am.

Comment

Originally posted by Asim Aquil
          Apparently there is accountability, thats why they're reviewing the situation.
          Wow!

I missed that!

Thanks for stating the obvious. I presume anyone with a modicum of grey matter would know that! Or was the post for your understanding!

Hermann Ebbinghaus had said that the relation of repetitions for learning and for repeating English stanzas needs no amplification. These were learned by heart on the first day with less than half of the repetitions necessary for the shortest of the syllable series.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

KSA interested in Pakistan’s tanks, aircraft

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

ISLAMABAD: The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA) has shown interest in purchasing defence equipment including Al-Khalid Tanks and Super Mushshak Aircraft from Pakistan, said a press release issued here on Monday.

KSA is also interested in purchasing border security equipment from Pakistan. A tem-member Saudi delegation, led by Lt General Talal Bin Mohsin Ali Al Angawi, voiced the kingdom’s interest to Defence Minister Rao Sikandar Iqbal.

The two countries discussed matters of mutual interest and their desire to increase defence collaboration. Both sides emphasised the need for greater cooperation in the field of defence.

Comment

nukes ????

Comment

Hey read up on everyone's post an allegation against accountability was raised by Sri.

Comment

So what? if they want to give 3 arab states some planes its their business. india gave nepal some dhruvs i believe.

Comment

India did it, so we must too. If you keep justifying your policies through India's action. It's a testament to the sad state of affairs is Pakistan.
                    I rant, therefore I am.

Comment

That was just an example. Its not that big of a deal, makes good business sense. Saudi Arabia purchased around 60 Mushaks last year on top of the planes the recieved free of cost earlier.

Comment

Working...
                      X