Finally, Star Wars as it should be.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally, Star Wars as it should be.

I absolutely refuse to buy anything but. This is a great victory for Star Wars purists everywhere.

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/704/704888p1.html

Unaltered Star Wars Trilogy Coming to DVD!
    Han shoots first again as original theatrical cuts are finally released.
    by IGN Staff
    May 3, 2006 - In a major surprise that will please many fans, Lucasfilm
    has announced that the original, unaltered theatrical versions of theStar Wars Trilogy will be released on DVD this September. For many years now George Lucas had said he would not release the original cuts of the film, but things have clearly changed, with the press release crediting overwhelming fan demand as the reason.

The new releases of each film in the original trilogy will contain both the original cut and the 2004 digitally remastered version of Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. The set will be available for a limited time: from September 12th to December 31st. Attached is the full press release from Lucasfilm:

"Fans can look forward to a September filled with classic Star Wars nostalgia, led by the premiere of LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy video game and the long-awaited DVD release of the original theatrical incarnations of the classic Star Wars trilogy.

"In response to overwhelming demand, Lucasfilm Ltd. and Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment will release attractively priced individual two-disc releases of Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Each release includes the 2004 digitally remastered version of the movie and, as bonus material, the theatrical edition of the film. That means you'll be able to enjoy Star Wars as it first appeared in 1977, Empire in 1980, and Jedi in 1983.

"This release will only be available for a limited time: from September 12th to December 31st. International release will follow on or about the same day. Each original theatrical version will feature Dolby 2.0 Surround sound, close-captioning, and subtitles in English, French and Spanish for their U.S. release. International sound and subtitling vary by territory.

"Over the years, a truly countless number of fans have told us that they would love to see and own the original version that they remember experiencing in theaters," said Jim Ward, President of LucasArts and Senior Vice President of Lucasfilm Ltd. "We returned to the Lucasfilm Archives to search exhaustively for source material that could be presented on DVD. This is something that we're very excited to be able to give to fans in response to their continuing enthusiasm for Star Wars. Topping it off with a new interactive adventure makes September 12 a red-letter day for Star Wars fans."

"That's also the day fans will be able to experience the LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy video game, the action-packed sequel -- filled with tongue-in-cheek humor -- to one of the best selling video games of 2005."
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Bout damned time they fixed that. It was so stupid that they ever changed it to begin with.

A truly sad sign of the times it twas...

LOL.

Comment

As long as I get to see Princess Leia in her bikini in full digital remastered imagery I'm happy :)
      In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by parihaka
        As long as I get to see Princess Leia in her bikini in full digital remastered imagery I'm happy :)
        I wonder if they'll edit out (I wouldn't put it past Lucas) Oola falling out of her net-string bikini when she gets dumped into the Rancor pit?
        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter
          I wonder if they'll edit out (I wouldn't put it past Lucas) Oola falling out of her net-string bikini when she gets dumped into the Rancor pit?
          Hmmm...I may have to dig out my old copy of Return of the Jedi to compare.

Comment

Ohhh, I'd forgotten, even being snot coloured didn't mar that one ;)

Leibniz

Comment

That one had gone right by me since since seeing it in theatres in the early eighties...pervert!

Comment

Originally posted by Lunatock
                That one had gone right by me since since seeing it in theatres in the early eighties...pervert!
                *shrug* I didn't know a thing about it until, yes....I READ IT ON THE INTERNET.
                “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

How much more money is he going to milk off those 3 films?

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
                    As long there are suckers born every second!

Comment

I can think of a few more ways...

I didn't buy the DVD release because I heard about the alterations. Actually, I did buy it, but gave it away as Christmas present. I bought it for myself, but it became a handy gift.

There are a lot of people who didn't buy the DVD release of Star Wars because they didn't like the changes. Of course there are a lot of people who will want to own every single version of Star Wars ever produced. So yeah, as long as there are suckers born every second.

Comment

I buy 'em all. I am a bit of a SW geek but I resolved a few years ago to not take it any more seriously than Georgie does.

If you like X-wings and Y-wings, here're mine:

Y-wing 1/48 scale.

X-wing 1/48 scale.

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by Blademaster
                          As long there are suckers born every second!
                          Truer words were never spoken.

Lucas finally caught on that he had yet another cash cow in the barn after years of Star Wars fans pointing it out for him.

Comment

On top of that, there is a new George Lucas "doll"/"action figure" coming out with him as a Storm Trooper no less.
                            Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Originally posted by dalem
                              I buy 'em all. I am a bit of a SW geek but I resolved a few years ago to not take it any more seriously than Georgie does.

If you like X-wings and Y-wings, here're mine:

Y-wing 1/48 scale.

X-wing 1/48 scale.

-dale
                              Wow. That is some nice modelling you've done there Dale

Leibniz

Comment

Working...
                              X