Musharraf wants Dutch travel advisory revised

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Musharraf wants Dutch travel advisory revised

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 E-Mail this article to a friend Printer Friendly Version

Musharraf wants Dutch travel advisory revised

ISLAMABAD: President Pervez Musharraf on Tuesday urged the Netherlands to revise its travel advisory on Pakistan.

Musharraf discussed several bilateral issues with Dutch Foreign Minister Bernard R Bot, who is on a two-day visit to Pakistan. Musharraf said the advisory did not reflect the reality on the ground and affected foreign investment. He said a large number of Dutch companies were actively engaged in business in Pakistan without problems. Netherlands is the fifth largest investor and fourth largest trading partner of Pakistan in Europe.

Musharraf stressed the need to enhance economic relations between the two countries through institutionalisation of this cooperation.
    He invited Dutch investors to invest in Pakistan, especially in dairy farming. He said Pakistan, being one of the largest producers of dairy products, would encourage cooperation in this area. The president said that agriculture was the backbone of Pakistan’s economy and measures were needed to boost farm output and agro industry.

The Dutch minister praised Pakistan’s progress in the economic field in the past several years and said that there were excellent prospects for further enhancing cooperation. Both leaders also discussed regional and international issues of mutual interest, including the Kashmir dispute and the ongoing composite dialogue with India, situation in Afghanistan and Iran’s nuclear issue.

Musharraf called for a peaceful resolution to the Iranian nuclear dispute. He said that Pakistan attached great importance to its relations with Afghanistan and to a peaceful and stable Afghanistan.

Bot briefed Musharraf about the contribution of Dutch troops to the ISAF peacekeeping mission in Afghanistan. APP
    http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default...3-5-2006_pg7_6
    Obviously the rhetoric that one heard that Europe will suffer if the there is a boycott of their products seems to be wrong since here we can see that Musharraf is pleading for removal of the Dutch advisory since it was affecting Pakistan in a big way!

So much for the Dutch courage exhibited by those who felt that Europe will keel over and play dead if there was a boycott of European products in retaliation of the Prophet Cartoon.

Dutch are a part of the effort in Afghanistan and that effort is peace enforcement and not peacekeeping!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

A boycott will hurt both sides, not only Europe.
    Dutch multinationals, including Abn-Amro group is doing great business in Pakistan and Holland is the 7th largest investor in the country..

Btw, Netherlands has asked Pakistan to play a greater role in peace enforcement in Afghanistan. :)

Comment

More on wanting Dutch money and goods!

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 E-Mail this article to a friend Printer Friendly Version

Aziz says relations with Netherlands ‘important’

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan attaches great importance to its relations with the Netherlands, one of the country’s trade partners and the seventh largest foreign investor, Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz told Netherlands Foreign Minister Bernard Bot at Prime Minister’s House on Tuesday. “Pakistan has strong interest in further strengthening relations with Netherlands,” said Aziz. The two leaders discussed bilateral cooperation, national and international issues, Pakistan’s role for peace in the region, defence and security matters and investment friendly climate in Pakistan. The prime minister said Islamabad wanted peace and prosperity in Afghanistan. “A strong, peaceful, stable and vibrant Afghanistan is in favour of its people and important for stability in South Asia,” he said. Pakistan is opposed to nuclear proliferation, but Iran has a right to use nuclear energy for peaceful purposes under International Atomic Energy Agency safeguards, he added. “Pakistan favours a peaceful resolution to the Iran nuclear programme issue through dialogue and opposes any coercive measures against Tehran.” Aziz reiterated Pakistan’s commitment to the peace process with India through a process of composite dialogue. He said Pakistan’s suggestions of demilitarisation and self-governance in Kashmir could form the basis of meaningful dialogue and concrete progress on the Kashmir issue. APP
      http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default...-5-2006_pg7_13
      Last edited by Ray; 03 May 06,, 19:37.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Neo
        A boycott will hurt both sides, not only Europe.
        Dutch multinationals, including Abn-Amro group is doing great business in Pakistan and Holland is the 7th largest investor in the country..

Btw, Netherlands has asked Pakistan to play a greater role in peace enforcement in Afghanistan. :)
        Precisely.

Yet, here it was as if Europe will keel over and play dead!

And unlike your pragmatic view, they insisted that it was nothing to worry them! It was only to Europe' peril!

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

The cartoon affair's been blown out of proportion and I've realy heard the dumbest arguments..
          Fortunately both countries have intellectuals duscussing the mutual strategy, not dumb mullah's. :)

Comment

Dutch are often named the Chinese of Europe, they are traders and for such a small country, i.e. 36.000+ km2, they've proven their greatness in several fields..
            Pakistan has asked for assitance in both agriculture and water management, two fields Dutch are concerned to be world leaders.. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Neo
              Dutch are often named the Chinese of Europe, they are traders and for such a small country, i.e. 36.000+ km2, they've proven their greatness in several fields..
              Pakistan has asked for assitance in both agriculture and water management, two fields Dutch are concerned to be world leaders.. :)

Yeah.

You have been living there for long.

Hope you don't become an European Chinese !

Danish cheese.

India was flooded with Danish products when the problem was on!

I got sick of seeing Danish stuff everywhere as if there were nothing else in the country (India)!

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Working...
              X