No announcement yet.

B-2s JDAM capability to be increased

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No prob Tritonal, i can actually imagine you wringing your hands in anticipation as you clicked the link, lol. ;)

Comment

I guess you know me too well. wink

Comment

the b2 just got deadlier

Comment

Originally posted by SnakePlisken
          the b2 just got deadlier
          This is certainly an attractive configuration for the B2. Would be great for swift destruction of enemy infrastructure, SAM sites, dug in tanks, stationary arty etc. However, it may be of limited utility for high value hardened targets, most of which would require a minimum of several 2000lb JDAMs. Furthermore, it is my understanding that much of the vaunted North Korean arty. along the DMZ is actually on train tracks, safe from airstrikes in tunnels, and is moved out of the tunnels when needed. Is this correct? If so, again, a heavier weapon may be needed.

Although I certainly appreciate the engineering marvel that is the B2, I can't help but question whether it is a necassary asset, at the $2.2 billion dollar price at least.

A B1B costs roughly $283 million, it follows that we could add 7+ B1Bs for the cost of a single B2. I believe a B1B can deliver 24 2000lb JDAMs x 7 = 168 2000lb JDAMS. So for the same price tag you can either (a) deliver 80 500 lb or (b) deliver 168 2000lb JDAMS. Additionaly, the B1B is far easier to foward deploy and can get to the target faster.

Of course, the B1B lacks the B2's stealth capability. Nevertheless, it is hardly an easy target sporting a sophisticated defensive suite, low RCS, and high speed. An initial strike package of F-117, JSF, cruise missiles, and B1 or B52 launched JSOWs (40 mile range at 50k feet), would likely be cabable of suppressing enemy air defences to the point of making it a permissive environment for the subsequent devestating B1B raids.

Is it just me that feels this way? Is there a mission that the B2 alone can accomplish?

Comment

the question of heavier munitions for this rail-bourne anti-aircraft system seems to be an irrelevence.

the gun is in the tunnel, the rails on each end of the tunnel give it its ability to target attacking aircraft. don't bother with some fancy deep penetration bomb, blow the rails at each end.

the north koreans then have a gun underground that can't get out.

crap idea No.162.
            before criticizing someone, walk a mile in their shoes.................... then when you do criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Comment

"Although I certainly appreciate the engineering marvel that is the B2, I can't help but question whether it is a necassary asset, at the $2.2 billion dollar price at least."

The whole reason the B2 is 2.2Bn(and that's todays dollars, not the dollars when it was actually produced) is because some clown questioned it's utility at 700 million, so they cut the buy, which drives up the unit price, which results in even more cuts to 'save money', which drives the unit cost up even further.

It's a viscous cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
                "Although I certainly appreciate the engineering marvel that is the B2, I can't help but question whether it is a necassary asset, at the $2.2 billion dollar price at least."

The whole reason the B2 is 2.2Bn(and that's todays dollars, not the dollars when it was actually produced) is because some clown questioned it's utility at 700 million, so they cut the buy, which drives up the unit price, which results in even more cuts to 'save money', which drives the unit cost up even further.

It's a viscous cycle.
                M21- What is your opinion on the B2?

Yeah, I believe the initial order was for 125+ aircraft, but ultimately Clinton and Bush Sr. reduced it to 21. Wise men, no need for 100+ B2s, in my humble opinion at least.

In 2001, Northrop Grumman offered to build 40 additional B2s at about $700 million a piece. I'm not sure if the cost of restarting the program was included though.

Comment

That 700 million per was right at the end of the initial production run, before the line was closed.

As far as the B-2, the only knock one could have on it is that it's subsonic and requires lots of maintenance.

Beyond that, it's a fantastic aircraft.

The B-1B on the other hand is a problem child. It's had massive electrical problems since day 1, and many of them have never really been solved.

Comment

Did that $700 million/plane offer "happen" to coincide with post 9-11?

I know the B1B has had it's issues, including crashes that took the life of some fine airmen. Nevertheless, it seems to me that the powers that be trust it. The B1B has been the workhorse of the strategic bomber fleet, performing exceptionally over Kosovo, Afganistan, and Iraq.

Comment

The 700 mil per offer was before 911.

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86
                        Whats the designation of the pocket nuke that Popular Mechanics and Popular Science were talking about a while back? The one for popping underground bunkers.
                        As far as I know these weapons have never gone beyond ideas and computer models so I doubt an actual designation exists.

I wonder who gets the glorious job of choosing names and designations for military programs.

Comment

This has to be a record. This thread hasn't been touched since 2005, but you actually quoted a post that in a few months will be 10 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by fire50
                            What do you m,ean by swimming pool? I am afraid.. This is just ridiculous but when I saw this post deeply I found what you want to say.
                            Attached Files
                            sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                            If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
                              [ATTACH]31545[/ATTACH]
                              So, which one is the REAL SWSNBN?
                              "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Originally posted by fire50
                                What do you m,ean by swimming pool? I am afraid.. This is just ridiculous but when I saw this post deeply I found what you want to say.
                                I'm gonna send Bigfella over there to smack you upside the head.
                                "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Working...
                                X