US preparing to nuke Iran

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US preparing to nuke Iran

Sunday, April 09, 2006 E-Mail this article to a friend Printer Friendly Version

US preparing to nuke Iran: American magazine

WASHINGTON: The administration of United States President Bush is planning a massive bombing campaign against Iran, including the use of bunker-buster nuclear bombs to destroy a key Iranian suspected nuclear weapons facility, The New Yorker magazine reported in its April 17 issue.

The article by investigative journalist Seymour Hersh said that Bush and others in the White House have come to view Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad as a potential Adolf Hitler.

“That’s the name they’re using,” the report quoted a former senior intelligence official as saying. A senior unnamed Pentagon adviser is quoted in the article as saying: “This White House believes that the only way to solve the problem is to change the power structure in Iran, and that means war.” The former intelligence official depicts planning as “enormous,” “hectic” and “operational,” Hersh writes.

One former defence official said that the military planning was premised on a belief that “a sustained bombing campaign in Iran will humiliate the religious leadership and lead the public to rise up and overthrow the government,” The New Yorker reported.

In recent weeks, President Bush has quietly initiated a series of talks on plans for Iran with a few key senators and members of the House of Representatives, including at least one Democrat, the report said. One of the options under consideration involves the possible use of a bunker-buster tactical nuclear weapon, such as the B61-11, to ensure the destruction of Iran’s main centrifuge plant at Natanz.

But the former senior intelligence official said that the attention given to the nuclear option has created serious misgivings inside the military, and some officers have talked about resigning after an attempt to remove the nuclear option from the evolving war plans in Iran failed, according to the report. “There are very strong sentiments within the military against brandishing nuclear weapons against other countries,” the magazine quotes the Pentagon adviser as saying.

The adviser warned that bombing Iran could provoke “a chain reaction” of attacks on American facilities and citizens throughout the world and might also reignite Hizbollah. afp
    http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default...9-4-2006_pg1_3

Using the nuclear bunker busters would possibly do the trick, but an all out war with the current availability of troops is a moot point.

US, under the present circumstance, cannot go to it alone since there are no troops to spare and the US public is not too enamoured with the result that Iraq has thrown up!

Other nations too, including the Coalition of the Willing, may not be too willing since their citizens too are not very enthusiastic about the results the Iraq enviroment is displaying.

That Iran requires a jolt to bring them to their senses, of that there is no doubt.

For all one knows, the US has already done its homework and has got the OK of a whole lot of countries, who will not oppose a bombing run over Iran and check the effects before plunging in.

There has been a lot of US diplomatic activities during the last few months including the Rice Straw stuff! Who knows Bush may have persuaded both Manmohan and Musharraf on the subject to shelve their objections if any. There has been dialogue with China and Russia.

So, when do you think the fireworks will start?

Willit be just a bombing run or a war and who all will join?

It is also a moot point if the bombing will cause a regime change. In fact, it could do the opposite since Patriotism is best seen when under attack!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Why is US doing this..... First Afghanistan, then Iraq and now iran. Why is US doing this for Israel. Why is she fighting another countries wars. What has israel ever done for america except for giving them troubles one after the other
    Nisaar main teri galiyon pe aaye watan, ke jahan
    Chali hai rasm keh koi na sar utha keh chaley

Comment

Originally posted by lahori Paa jee
      Why is US doing this..... First Afghanistan, then Iraq and now iran. Why is US doing this for Israel. Why is she fighting another countries wars. What has israel ever done for america except for giving them troubles one after the other
      Explain how the war in Afghanistan helps Israel.

Comment

lahori, there are currently 2 threads on the subject of Israel's role in American foreign policy. You might want to read them.

Comment

Originally posted by ZFBoxcar
          lahori, there are currently 2 threads on the subject of Israel's role in American foreign policy. You might want to read them.
          ok
          Nisaar main teri galiyon pe aaye watan, ke jahan
          Chali hai rasm keh koi na sar utha keh chaley

Comment

They are both under US politics in case you weren't sure where to look.

Comment

Because America can.

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith601
                Explain how the war in Afghanistan helps Israel.

It does

Comment

Originally posted by Gautam
                  It does
                  ??? Going by a theory some Pashtun are part of a lost Jewish tribe, so how does USA bombing jews help Israel!!
                  I rant, therefore I am.

Comment

As far as I know the project to develop bunker busters with nuclear warheads has been cancelled, thus they will never enter inventory.

However the U.S is capable of bombing nuclear sites with conventional bunker busters. My personal view is if Iran becomes nuclear capable this *will* happen. The current Iranian government is too hostile to both the U.S and the Isrealies for either country to take a chance with them.

The question becomes will the Iranians be able to successfully build and test a bomb, there I have no idea. If the U.S and its allies are successfully in putting up economic sanctions on Iran it could seriously impede their ability to create a bomb.

Basiclly Iran has absolutely nothing to gain by building nuclear weapons, they will just make themselves a target. And if they think building a few bombs will stop an U.S or Isreali attack there making a major miscalculation, the U.S has already played this game before during the coldwar. The U.S was quite willing to start world war three when someone tried to hold them hostage with nukes.

And no offense to Iran but the USSR was a much bigger threat then they will likely ever be.
                    Last edited by canoe; 09 Apr 06,, 20:41.

Comment

Originally posted by lahori Paa jee
                      Ok unless you've been living in a box the reasons for Afganistian are perfectly obvious. And I completely back any country that takes military action in its own self defence.

Iraq I'll grant you was generally speaking a dishonest and unjust war. It was started on the basis of information that was false. The overall outcome in the long term maybe positive but it still doesn't change the fact the war started on information that was either mistakenly or diliberately false. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt so I hope it was just mistakenly false.

Comment

I would hope there were plans like this for every country. Never know when you'll need a quick plan.
                        Originally posted by canoe
                        Iraq I'll grant you was generally speaking a dishonest and unjust war.
                        Was it more or less, unjust and dishonest to have left Saddam in power for decades?
                        No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
                        I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
                        even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
                        He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

If the U.S and its allies are successfully in putting up economic sanctions on Iran it could seriously impede their ability to create a bomb.
                          Iran, which was the world’s fourth largest producer of crude oil, averaged about 3.72 million barrels per day (Mbbl/d) in 2000.

If sanctions are applied this oil will not be available for the world.

The world is believed to have reached "Peak Oil".

Therefore, the prices will soar.

The economies will collapse.

Nations will bicker for "more space".

And so the fun and games will begin!

Nuclear Bunker busters are the only answer.

Don't take the stuff that the US has stopped the programme too seriously.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
                            Nuclear Bunker busters are the only answer.

Don't take the stuff that the US has stopped the programme too seriously.
                            Sir,

Nuclear Bunker Busters Are Dangerous, Ineffective, and Unneeded

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
                              I am not sure I can take this report at face value. The FAS site is known for its anti nuclear stance very strongly. Anything that is related to nuclear will provoke a strong condemnation regardless of the reasons.

It is my firm belief that you can burrow deeper than a few meters. I think you spin the warhead around with mutiple points sticking out as to dig the dirt out of the way as you spin downward. Moreover the blast will be directed downward (yes i know the ground will redirect the blast upward but they cannot negate the pressure wave emanating downward) thus creating a huge overpressure on the tunnels and domed area spaces. Keep in mind that if you dig more than a 1000 meters deep, your structure has to withstand the weight of the 1000 meters of soil and rocks above you. How well can a structure withstand the impact of a overpressure wave emanating through the 1000 meters with the addition of the weight? My answer is no. The tunnels will simply collaspe thus cutting off a lot of avenues for access or even air.

Comment

Working...
                              X