Living Without Technology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Living Without Technology

Here is an article on cnn about cell phone users and how much people are relying on them.

My question is this: What technical "gadget" would you not be able to live without? Also, what could you throw away tomorrow and be okay with that?

I rely on my cell phone for a lot: phone book, date book, spontaneous photo taking. Since I do not have a land line hooked up @ home, I would be lost w/o it. I had bought an inexpensive bluetooth headset to see how I would like that and am glad I did not buy a more upscale one. I am not comfortable enough using it and so that could go. I could also get rid of the TV. Most nights it does not even get turned on. My smaller roommate likes to watch The Simpsons and King of the Hill every so often, but other than that, we don't watch too much unless it is a DVD. The TV could definitely go.
    "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

My daughter has a white, fluffy unicorn which sings a song "sparkle bright (something), sparkle bright (something) sparkle unto the (something or other), sparkle blah blah blah" for about 3 hours every time you press it's hoof. It also rocks its head from side to side while it 'sings'. And it's batteries seem to go on for ever. That piece of technology, I could do without.
    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

If i've got my truck, cordless tools, and an internet computer, I'm fine. ;)
      No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
      I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
      even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
      He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

I use my Cell for talking, Instant messaging,texting,checking sports scores, taking and sending pictures, alarm clock, and date book. I would almost be lost without it.

This is the information age after all.

Comment

I can't be without my antler and leather nap set, I need it to make flint arrows, obsideon knives, and scrapers to prepare the leather and fur hides I depend upon for shelter and clothes...

The damned atlatl can go, still can't get the stupid thing to throw straight.
          The black flag is raised: Ban them all... Let the Admin sort them out.

I know I'm going to have the last word... I have powers of deletion and lock.

Comment

Car, cellphone, digital camera.

These days Car and cellphone are acting up so majoooooooor problems going on. Cam's good. so yay!

Comment

well without technology I cudnt have made this post from my cellphone ;)
              A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

MP3 player - don't need it, hardly listen to music at all
                Blackberry device - I don't need to read my email THAT often
                PDA - pencil $ post-it notes will do
                console games - don't play those, never got into them
                hand-held console games - see above

I absolutely need:
                TV
                cable
                broadband
                a decent computer
                cell phone
                "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay
                  well without technology I cudnt have made this post from my cellphone ;)
                  You are a sick man. Of course I meant that in the best possible way.
                  "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut
                    MP3 player - don't need it, hardly listen to music at all
                    Blackberry device - I don't need to read my email THAT often
                    PDA - pencil $ post-it notes will do
                    console games - don't play those, never got into them
                    hand-held console games - see above

I absolutely need:
                    TV
                    cable
                    broadband
                    a decent computer
                    cell phone
                    I have a cell phone that does most of the stuff you listed out and much more.

You gotta check it out...Cingular 8125.

http://www.cingular.com/8125_consumer
                    A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

Originally posted by Jay
                      I have a cell phone that does most of the stuff you listed out and much more.

You gotta check it out...Cingular 8125.

http://www.cingular.com/8125_consumer
                      I looked @ blackberries (blackberrys?) when I bought my last phone. Then I imagined myself with THAT much access to the internet and figured that the last thing I needed when I was driving and saw a website listed on a billboard that I wanted to remember to go to later on (which I never remember to go to anyway), was immediate access to a computer. :)
                      "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

Originally posted by Horrido
                        I can't be without my antler and leather nap set, I need it to make flint arrows, obsideon knives, and scrapers to prepare the leather and fur hides I depend upon for shelter and clothes...

The damned atlatl can go, still can't get the stupid thing to throw straight.
                        I was going to post something about a shotgun, a rifle, and a four-wheel-drive, but yours is better.
                        sigpicUSS North Dakota

Comment

Working...
                        X