Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Gurkhas are a fearless lot of Nepal and they are also residents of India and are part of the Indian, British and Nepal armies.

They are stereotypically taken to be hardworking but a wee bit slow in the uptake!
    Are they? Here's something that may amuse you

THE GURKHA AND THE STAFF COLLEGE (like the Command and General Staff Course of the US)

This is a story that I heard when I came to command my battalion.

Naturally, since this had happened before my time, or alleged to have happened, I cannot vouch for its veracity. Nevertheless, it is worth retelling.

This is about a hardworking, diligent, sincere and a soft spoken Gurkha officer, who spoke very little since he was told in his childhood that “A wise old owl sat in an oak, The more he heard, the less he spoke; The less he spoke, the more he heard; Why aren't we all like that wise old bird?

He wanted to be a wise old bird, if nothing else.

He studied hard and as the story goes, some say he won a Gold Medal in Academics in his school. He he passed the NDA examination (first stage to become an officer), went through the rigmarole of cadets training in the IMA (like West Point) and lo and behold!, he was commissioned and given the finest regiment of the Indian Army – the MAHAR Regiment (Ahem!). Of course, he didn’t know it then, but hopefully he knows it now!

He slogged through the initial years with quiet fortitude and he reached the magical rank of a Major. The rank is magical since that is the first time one understands what is the Army all about because till then, it is a mere running around the countryside like the monkey chasing the weasel!

He did well in all ranks and appointment he held, but since he was the quiet stereotype of a Gurkha, hardly anyone acknowledged his contribution. Nonetheless, he was satisfied since he believed in Vivekananda (an India sage) who believed that satisfaction was not doing what one likes, but liking what one does. Of course, it is true that Vivekananda had not told him so personally; his teacher had told him so; but being the good Gurkha he never asked his teacher who told the teacher so. He took it as the Gospel truth and he believed in this Gospel.

As is wont, there was this hullabaloo in the Station amongst the Majors whenever it is the time for applying for the Staff College exam. This Gurkha officer had heard about this Staff College exam but being the regimental officer that he was, he never displayed undue inquisitiveness in things that did not concern him. He was not the typical unit officer who archetypically indulges in gossip and schemes ways how to sort the CO (Commanding Offier) out.

Still, he was not totally dumb a chap. He knew that it had something to do with career enhancement like the Retention, Part A,B,C and D exams, though when he joined the Army, the Army realised that if there were too many exams then it would be difficult to promote officers to the next rank; ;) and so did away with nearly all! That is why, he realised that any Tom, Dick and Harry could become a Colonel so long as he passed the exams and yes, now he realised that Staff College was an important input too, if not the most important of them all! He also knew that it was best to keep one’s counsel in addition, since most seniors had inflated egos that required its daily massage. That way, he was a clever little tick.

Now he understood the reason for the buzz amongst the Majors in the Station.

Diligent that he was, he looked about the AOs (Army Orders) on the Staff College exams and the AIs (Army Instructions which are basically on the financial aspects) too (lest something was there too since the Army was a mysterious organisation that was bent on complicating the simplest of things).

Fortunately, the Queens Regulations (no longer valid after Independence) was not there, or else he would have read that too, lest someone felt he was not a diligent and a sincere chap. He had to keep up with his reputation, after all.

He read it all and then he filled the application and put it up through proper channels to the CO. He forgot all about it thereafter, knowing that the CO was an equally diligent, sincere and hardworking soul, who would forward it to whoever it concerned and the whole process would have been set into motion.

But, what happened?

The application reached the CO, who that day was distraught since the Commander had been a bit prickly and unfair. So, the CO was not in the best of moods and was hunting for some excuse to let off steam.

The CO flipped through the dak (official mail) and then jumped out of the CO’s chair!

In front of him lay the Gurkha officer’s application for the Staff College exam!

He picked it up, felt it, smelt it, re-read it, checked the name again and then yelled, “Maj X ko bolao” (Call Maj X).

It was the turn of the stick orderly to jump. He had never heard the CO ever yell since this CO was the “command by persuasion and sweetness” type of leader who spoke softly but carried a big stick and was known as “Roosevelt” by those who did not know him, but had heard of him.

Sure enough Maj X arrived, all smartness and the personification of Gorkha robotlike precision, right down to the click of his heels.

Clicking his heels, he saluted.

The CO waved, indicating that he should be seated, since in the opinion of the CO, it was so extraordinary a situation and that it would take long time to apply the persuasion and sweetness style of his.

Maj X was taken aback. The CO asking that an officer sit down? That an officer had been called, in itself was more than extraordinary, and to sit down would mean that the sky was about to fall on his head!

So, he decided to maintain military protocol as per the Rules and Regulations and not sit down, but stand ramrod straight, breathing ever so gently to maintain the decorum and dignity of the hallowed office!

The CO had come from a different regiment and so he knew all about Gurkhas. He realised that this would be a tricky nut to crack and so he had to apply the third degree, which to him, was yet another yell, “Sit down, Bacche”. Sit down, Child)

Maj X winched! Not because of the yell, but because the yell and the word "Bacche" was incongruous and this command by persuasion and sweetness style was becoming real ridiculously ridiculous! But, he said nothing and instead sat down.

“Bacche, what is this I see before me?” the CO asked in the most mellifluous of tone and thrust Maj X’s application into Maj X’s hand.

Maj X looked at it. Obviously it was not Banco’s ghost. It was his application. He was thunderstruck as to how the CO seemed to have forgotten the English language and the alphabets! Even those who used the word "Bacche" knew English!

“Sir, it is my application for the Staff College exam”.

“That I see”.

Maj X decidedly beamed hearing that; at least the CO had not forgotten English! But doubts crept into his mind. If the CO saw and understood what he saw, where was the problem to sign the document? Or did he wanted a certificate for the CO to sign which read, “I have read it and sign it as correct” as they do for Cs of I (Courts of Inquiry). The CO was a bit of a legal chap and so it was not beyond his wanting such a certificate.

Some Mother have funny children, Maj X had nearly blurted!

Some more silence ensued.

“Maj X, are you serious about this?”

“About what, sir?”

“About applying for the Staff College, Bacche”, replied the CO.

“Yes sir, I am” replied Maj X.

The CO was a mathematics oriented man. He loved statistics too. Now, what if Maj X failed? After all, Gurkhas were not known to be too hot in studies, his statistical mind informed him. It would not look good in the Annual Inspection Folder. The CO was also a regimental soul. He could never let the regiment or the unit down! The unit uber alles was his motto. And yet, it would be unfair to not let the officer’s application go through, Gurkha or no Gurkha.

More silence ensued as the CO pondered.

The CO switched on his glassiest of smiles (which was so rare since his normal demeanour was like brass monkey weather , being a serious soul) and called in for two cups of coffee and literally mewed in the true “command by persuasion and sweetness” style.

The coffee came and the CO warmed up to the pep talk session.

“Maj X, Gurkhas make fine soldiers. Nowadays, they are also making fine officers. Yet, statistically not many make it to Staff College and higher education. Why press your luck? Aren’t you satisfied and thankful to God that you, amongst so many, are an officer and a damn good officer at that?”

Maj X sat back and blinked his eyelid and gazed back blankly as if in meditation and said nothing, and continued to say nothing, and instead gaze as blank as ever, just to rub in the stereotyped Gurkha image that the British had injected into their successors the Indians.

Minutes ticked and more of the blank gaze continued.

More minutes of blank gazing and the CO had enough of this blinkity blank silence and the beatific gaze in total serenity from this Gurkha.

It was enough of tomfoolery for the day for the CO.

He hollered, “OK, so that’s it?”

Maj X replied, “Sir”. The CO could take it anyway – yes or no.

And that ended the interview………

The application was signed.

It proved that Gautama the Buddha was indeed a Nepali. Nirvana could only be achieved through silence and meditation!

But that is not the end of the story.

When the results came, it was only Maj X who had passed the Staff College exam in the Station and everyone else had failed!

So, Looks can be deceptive. Stereotypes are also fallacious. Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

And Maj X had the last laugh!

He, who laughs last, laughs the best

And he is still laughing all the way up the ranks!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

This I picked up from ARRSE.

Nelson: "Order the signal, Hardy."
      Hardy: "Aye, aye sir."

Nelson: "Hold on, that's not what I dictated to the signal officer. What's the meaning of this?"
      Hardy: "Sorry sir?"

Nelson (reading aloud): "England expects every person to do his duty, regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, religious persuasion or disability". "What gobbledygook is this?"
      Hardy: "Admiralty policy, Im afraid, sir. We're an equal opportunities employer now. We had the devil's own job getting 'England' past the censors, lest it be considered racist"

Nelson: "Gadzooks, Hardy. Hand me my pipe and tobacoo."
      Hardy: "Sorry sir. All naval vessels have been designated smoke-free working environments."

Nelson: "In that case, break open the rum ration. Let's splice the mainbrace to steel the men before battle,"
      Hardy: "The rum ration has been abolished, Admiral. Its part of the Government's policy on binge drinking"

Nelson: "Good heavens, Hardy. I suppose we'd better get on with it full speed ahead."
      Hardy: "I think you'll find that there's a 4 knot speed limit in this stretch of water."

Nelson: "Damn it man! We are on the eve of the greatest sea battle in history. We must advance with all dispatch. Report from the crow's nest please."
      Hardy: "That wou't be possible, sir."

Nelson: "What?"
      Hardy: "Health and Safety have closed the crow's nest, sir. No harness. And they said that rope ladder doesn't meet regulations. They won't let anyone up there until a proper scaffolding can be erected."

Nelson: "Then get me the ship's carpenter without delay, Hardy."
      Hardy: "He's busy knocking up a wheelchair access to the bridge, Admiral."

Nelson: 'Wheelchair access? I've never heard anything so absurd."
      Hardy: "Health and safety again, sir. We have to provide a barrier-free environment for the differently-abled."

Nelson: " Differently-abled! I've only one arm and one eye and I refuse even to hear mention of the word. I didn't rise to the rank of admiral by playing the disability card."
      Hardy: "Actually, sir ... The Royal Navy is under-represented in the areas of visual impairment and limb deficiency."

Nelson: "Whatever next? Give me full sail. The salt spray beckons."
      Hardy: "A couple of problems there too, sir. Health and safety won't let the crew up the rigging without hard hats. And they don't want anyone breathing in too much salt - haven't you seen the adverts?"

Nelson: "I've never heard such infamy. Break out the cannon and tell the men to stand by to engage the enemy."
      Hardy: "The men are a bit worried about shooting at anyone, Admiral."

Nelson: "What? This is mutiny."
      Hardy: "It's not that, sir. It's just that they're afraid of being charged with murder if they actually kill anyone. There's a couple of legal-aid lawyers on board, watching everyone like hawks."

Nelson: "Then how are we to sink the Frenchies and the Spanish?"
      Hardy: "Actually, sir, we're not."

Nelson: "We're not?"
      Hardy: "No, sir. The Frenchies and the Spanish are our European partners now. According to the Common Fisheries Policy, we shouldn't even be in this stretch of water. We could get hit with a claim for compensation."

Nelson: "But you must hate a Frenchman as you hate the devil."
      Hardy: "I wouldn't let the ship's diversity co-coordinator hear you saying that sir. You'll be up on defaulters."

Nelson: "You must consider every man an enemy, who speaks ill of your King."
      Hardy: "Not any more, sir. We must be inclusive in this multicultural age. Now put on your Kevlar vest; it's the rules."

Nelson: "Don't tell me, health and safety, whatever happened to rum, sodomy and the lash?"
      Hardy: As I explained, sir, rum is off the menu! And there's a ban on corporal punishment."

Nelson: "What about sodomy?"
      Hardy: "I believe it's to be encouraged, sir."

Nelson: "In that case... kiss me Hardy

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Great stuff everyone! :) Thanks so much!
        No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
        I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
        even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
        He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Another exercise story.

Name and places changed to protect the embarrassed.

Off the East Coast, we were having those navy-army games. Unfortunately, we just finished one of those East Coast huricanes, so the place was a mess. We had to relcoate alot of the activities.

My RSM and I was driving by and noticed a company was coming ashore at the wrong spot. So, just to be pilote, we drove down to meet them. I came up to the Colonel and told him that his landing should be 20 kms south.

Well, he just laced into me, telling me that no one will tell him where to land. This is a good spot and it would really fcuk my side up since we're all out of position to counter him. If I didn't like it, I will have to go fcuk myself and go crying to my mamma General.

"Now, Captain Canada, what do you have to say to that?!?!"

"Only a question, Sir. What are you doing in my minefield?"

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
            Another exercise story.

Off the East Coast, we were having those navy-army games. Unfortunately, we just finished one of those East Coast huricanes, so the place was a mess. We had to relcoate alot of the activities.

My RSM and I was driving by and noticed a company was coming ashore at the wrong spot. So, just to be pilote, we drove down to meet them. I came up to the Colonel and told him that his landing should be 20 kms south.

Well, he just laced into me, telling me that no one will tell him where to land. This is a good spot and it would really fcuk my side up since we're all out of position to counter him. If I didn't like it, I will have to go fcuk myself and go crying to my mamma General.

Let me guess. You just made that comment up in the end to avoid looking like a fool and take the wind out of the braggart, right? ;)

Comment

No, he was actually in my minefield.

Comment

Did you create a real minefield or a stimulated minefield?

For stimulated minefield, you use popcrackers or something like that to imitate a mine but harmlessly?

I remember you telling a story about a Sarge who was smart but lazy and he had this bright idea of writing a sign that says "Minefield" and just laid several mines to keep the enemy honest so they would waste valuable time to secure a minefield. He was supposed to lay a real minefield but didn't. I find that story real hilarious and an example of inqeniuty to preserve the art of procrastination ad laziness.

Comment

We laid practise mines; getting in the practise of laying the proper patterns more than anything else. In an actual wargame, there would not have been any "bang" but the referee telling who's dead and who's moving.

And no, my Sergeant wasn't lazy. It was that we were bugging out so many times that out of sheer frustration that he wrote that sign. We never thought it would worked.

On that, when we were discussing the eval later, I lied about laying a few when we laid nothing. You have to save a few tricks up your sleeve.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
                    Another exercise story.

LOL Sir, I had heard this story before. I was drinking coffee and ended up having to change my uniform blouse.
                    Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
                    (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

RC-135 RIVET JOINT story:

One of the airframes in the inventory had an aft hatch that wouldn't seal properly, and the airflow around the edge gave it a WICKED howling shreik in flight. It didn't compromise the airframe in the least, so a 'field mod' of stuffing wet paper towels into the edge on climb-out alleviated the worst of the noise, when they would freeze into and fill the edge. This was the job of Position #16, the seat nearest the hatch. It worked, and after you got used to this particular idiosyncracy of this airplane, it was no big deal. But of course, you'll never find that li'l procedure in any manual for RC-135 operations. ;)

So, one day this bird is climbing out of Okinawa on an East China Sea run (Vietnam and the PRC), and #16 calls the Airborne Mission Supervisor (the #1 Position, and the boss of the 'back end', Electronic Security Command's crew) on the intercom, requesting to get out of his seat to seal the hatch up.

Out of nowhere, one of the Ravens (Electronic Warfare Officers, part of the Strategic Air Command's 'front end' crew, the owners of the airplane) pipes up that HE'S 'got it', and #16 should relax. Well, until the airplane gets into the collection area, the Raven's got nothin' to do, but #16 is PLENTY busy, so that's just fine with HIM, and he gets back to work on his console.

Meanwhile, the Raven, an eager-beaver young Second Lieutenant, unbuckles, and for some reason, puts on his helmet and oxygen mask, grabs a walk-around oxygen bottle, and heads for the hatch, all ready to be helpful and a real team player.

Most of the crew is unaware of the conversation that has taken place, but they wonder just what the hell THIS is all about as the Raven makes his way from the front ALL the way down the aisle towards the back hatch...with his helmet and oxygen mask on...carrying a oxygen bottle...

...and they watch in horror as the 120-pound youngster - having never before flown on THIS RC-135, and completely unaware that there is a method of sealing the hatch that has NOTHING to do with messing around with its handle - starts yanking on the handle of the hatch to 'dog it down' tight.

Position #17, although frozen in terror into his seat like the rest of the ESC crew, has the presence of mind to holler into the intercom ( which is set to 'All', so that each crewmember can hear) this message:

AMS, THIS IS 17! THE LIEUTENANT HAS FREAKED OUT! HE'S TRYING TO BAIL OUT!

The effect on the rest of the crew is like an electric shock, and everybody has disconnected from the intercom, launched from their seats like rockets, and are busy dog-piling the hapless Raven before the AMS can tell 'em, NO, he's just going to seal the hatch! STOP! EVERYBODY BACK IN THEIR SEATS UNTIL I CLEAR YOU TO UNBUCKLE!

But he's talking to himself and the flight crew; everybody else is busily trussing up the lieutenant - in tears from pain and confusion - with duct tape and headphone cable.

His callsign from that moment on was 'Skydiver'.

(You can see the hatch outlined in yellow, just forward of the national insignia.)
                      Last edited by Bluesman; 15 Dec 06,, 18:12.

Comment

120lbs and the Air Farce let him in? What is he, an aerial *****? From the way they gangpiled on him, it seems to be a well deserved description of him.

Just joking.

Comment

In one of the legend buster sites, the following story is passed off as a joke in the same vein as an Aircraft Carrier ordering a lighthouse to alter course. But somehow that "explanation" has disappeared. Perhaps friends of mine back East who validated this story notified them that it is TRUE.

The following is taken directly from the pages of a book I have written on the history of the Long Beach Naval Shipyard (HELP. I need a publisher).
                          ------------------------------------------------------------

One story I heard about the ship seemed too good to be true and I passed it off as a scuttlebutt joke. But years later, Steve Torres who was a crewman aboard the USS Bronstein (FF-1037) confirmed that it actually did happen.

One night, in the Gulf of Tonkin, the Bronstein was on patrol and spotted a ship approaching on RADAR. By signal lights, Bronstein challenged the ship. “This is a United States warship. Identify yourself or you will be fired upon.”

The reply was, “This is the United States Battleship New Jersey. You may fire when ready.”

Now, the above has been debunked as an “Urban Legend” and the incident never happened. However, Steve swore up and down that it really did happen and the bridge crew were nearly falling on the deck laughing that they had just challenged a Battleship. But proper signaling techniques and code words were used instead of the above version as told today. A Battleship normally would never have identified herself by her actual name and would have used her code name instead (I have heard it was On Rush). Also her escort, the USS England (DLG-22), should have also been within Bronstein’s RADAR scan. Though IFF (Identification, Friend or Foe) electronic signals would have been transmitted from New Jersey, as a matter of procedure, until identification could be made and confirmed through voice or visual contact, Bronstein still had to challenge the ship.

It could have been a cargo ship carrying war materials to Haiphong. It could also have been a merchant ship converted into an unarmored cruiser/raider like the German Q ships Atlantis and Penguin of World War II. Even the U.S. used Q ships but of a smaller size for reconnaissance and spy work. The movie and TV series "The Wackiest Ship in the Army" was loosely based upon the actual sailing ship USS Echo. I saw a picture of the actual Echo in Naval Institute Proceedings that showed how the stowed “lifeboat” amidships would actually split in two to expose a 40mm gun.

So, the Bronstein was merely carrying out standard procedures.
                          Then one evening I received an email from a Battleship enthusiast back east. He contacted Admiral Snyder, the New Jersey’s commanding officer at the time of the purported incident, to ask if the story was true or not. Here is his answer:

“I do not remember the name of the ship but do remember the skipper was a Lieutenant.

“My policy was not to release messages without my personal O.K. My OOD ignored the first two messages from the small Naval vessel since they had her on radar and the visual call sign identified the sending ship. But when the flashing light message saying ‘unknown vessel identify yourself or we will open fire’ my OOD called me right away. The reason I had our signalmen use the 24-inch searchlight is that I was slightly ticked that the other Naval vessel (sending ship) should have been able to tell the difference between a Battleship on radar and a North Vietnam gun runner or fishing boat.

“I was in the habit of not signing messages with our name since the message always had a heading telling who sent it and to whom it was addressed. I admit my reply was rather tense and not in the best Naval tradition but we on the New Jersey felt nothing could hurt us and the crew enjoyed my reply which was ‘AA (standing for ‘unknown vessel’) NEW JERSEY BB 62 OPEN FIRE WHEN READY, FEAR GOD, DREADNOUGHT.’

“I do not think your quote is that far off.”
                          J. EDWARD SNYDER JR.

Well folks, there you have it, straight from the Commanding Officer of the New Jersey.
                          Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

RustyBB, good story. You should fire off an email to snopes.com, the urban legend repository website.

Got any more?

Comment

Let's see, there was the time i sunk the APC, but i've already told that one here.

Then there was the time i 'shot' the Bn Co three times in...five days was it? That's including once while he was standing next to the Bde Full bird. :)

Or the time we hit a patch of turbulence in a treetop level Crash Hawk at about a buck fifty and one of the Pvts lost his M16 out the door...

Or the time we assaulted the BLUFOR CP and my 1st sgt saying afterwards, "I heard that sixty barking(M60), looked at my M9(pistol) in my hand, and thought to myself, 'I might as well throw this fuccker at them for all the good it'll do'".

Of course my fave was probably the time i scored a 10ring direct hit on the side of one of my best friends 113s the first time i ever used a 40mm simulator(uninstructed, of course, lol)...from the back hatch of a moving track.
                              The sight of him(He was the SL) chasing our 113 x-country on foot- with an M9 bayonet in his hand- will linger in my conciousness almost as long as the mental image of his whole squad scattering as the 40mm round sailed straight and true...75 meters...right through the camo net covering their track...and BOOM as it hit the side of the hull.

No injuries, but it sure scared hell out of those fellas. Eh, those Bravo Co guys were pusssies anyway. ;)

But then there was that one time i 'killed' the entire Bn Tank Plt(Six M1s) with seven rounds of 7.62 blank ammunition by shooting each of the drivers in the noggin as they negotiated a very tight turn on a fairly narrow ridge pass.

The judge- god bless his soul- ruled that each driver would have 'driven off the cliff' when hit. Given the 50 meter spacing of the tanks, and the blind nature of the curve, he further ruled that each of the trail tanks would be oblivious to the plight of the tank in front of him.....

It was plausible...i guess.

LOL, that DAT PL was unbelievably pissed. I never liked him anyway.

The army may pay for shiit, but memories like those are priceless.
                              Last edited by Bill; 05 Apr 06,, 04:37.

Comment

Snipe, that won't do. You gotta learn how to flesh the story out to get a real good laugh. Go back and rework your stories, Corporal! And then come back and regale the stories again, this time with a proper foundation and environment to deliver the message across distinctly humourous.

Comment

Working...
                                X