Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nah warehousemanager for spanish furniture company,when i lived in londen i have family who are serving in the british army,my cousin who is a major said he could get me into the reserves,cos of my previous expierance,however my wife sat me down and said i must just listen to what she had to say ,that we had spent enough time apart and sometimes weeks or months on end,enough is enough she said ,we have been together for 17 years and she had made a lot of sacrifices so i decicded it was time for me to make one for her,2002 i promised i would,nt put on a uniform again and i have,nt

Comment

• i find dutch more difficult to understand than afrikaans ,i mean i am pretty fluent in afrikaans,however i find flemmish is closer to afrikaans than dutch is ,afrikaans is a harder more guterral language than dutch ,dutch is a lot softer sounding in afrikaans you tend to speak from the throat more like the ggggg sound,in belgium i speak afrikaans and they speak flemmish and we understand each other perfectly, yet i have not met a dutchman or a belgium person that cannot speak english .

Comment

• Afrikaans vs Dutch likewise ... learned to speak it correctly during basics :-D

Have some Dutch outlaws and still have difficulty understanding them :

Afrikaans seems much easier ... must be, after all the Afrikaners managed to understand it .. *efg*

Left active Military service (Commando Regiment) in '94 just after the elections ... joined the local Police Reserve instead ... plus the beer at the IPA is cheaper than it was in the Officer's mess *lol*

Comment

• When I was stationed at MacDill my daughter was in kindergarten. I was picking her up at the after care program on base and as we were making our way out to the car, retreat was sounding. I told her to stand still and I rendered my salute. I glanced over at her and she was also saluting. When retreat was over I told her that she didn't have to salute and she could just put her hand over her heart. She asked why I was saluting. I told her it was to pay respect for our country and while I was in uniform I saluted instead of placing my hand on my heart. She smiled and said "I'm in uniform too". From then on she would salute at retreat. :)
          “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” ~ Jimi Hendrix
          "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Southie View Post
            When I was stationed at MacDill my daughter was in kindergarten. I was picking her up at the after care program on base and as we were making our way out to the car, retreat was sounding. I told her to stand still and I rendered my salute. I glanced over at her and she was also saluting. When retreat was over I told her that she didn't have to salute and she could just put her hand over her heart. She asked why I was saluting. I told her it was to pay respect for our country and while I was in uniform I saluted instead of placing my hand on my heart. She smiled and said "I'm in uniform too". From then on she would salute at retreat. :)
            HAH! That's a great kid y'all got, there. We'll miss her - and YOU! - as much as any other aspect of this fantastic tour. Thanks for being all you've been and doing all you've done for us. It's sure been a three-and-a-half-year-long highlight reel for us, and you guys have a starring role.

Comment

• Bluesman.

You desk bound spook!

Go to the US forum and read about the CIA chaps who did a great service for the USA!

Their story beats all stories out here!

Salute them as I salute them!

They gave their youth for those who were against Communism!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

• Sir,

could I have the link to that forum?

Comment

• http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/uni...-new-post.html

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

• Brigadier,I hope they got a good interest rate on their Back Pay $$$

Comment

• My cousin, who is a businessman, said just today that the Americans are the best to business with. They understand money! ;) :)

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

• Originally posted by Ray View Post
                        My cousin, who is a businessman, said just today that the Americans are the best to business with. They understand money! ;) :)
                        Agreed Sir, I wish they would teach others Moneyesque, a language of which eludes the common denominatorie. most of us!!

Comment

• My father told this while serving on a Soviet merchant navy ship.
                          On his ship there was a commisar (the Soviet party informants) who was loathed by the crew. For example, he did not allow the crew to exit the ship when in "capitalist" countries (something that was not allowed but rarely enforced), accused everyone on being anti-communist, and other things that really sh!tted the crew. Of course, they could not do anything about it, he was a party member after all.

One time, when the ship was stuck in the ice of the Barents sea, waiting for an Arktika-class icebreaker to arrive, the annoying commisar decided to take a walk on the ice. The weather was beautiful, and he, probably being tired from all the anti-communist conversations on the ship, wanted some time alone with himself and the spirit of Lenin.
                          To do so, he threw a stormladder overboard and descended.
                          15 minutes later, he came running, all terrified, chased by polar bears. The sailor holding guard duty on deck noticed that, and took action. When acting as he didn't know that the commissar was out for a walk, he immediately pulled up the stormladder (as is prescribed by safety measures) and acted as if he did not hear him.

The entire crew stood on the bridge and watched what would happen. The sailor, after pulling up the stormladder, walked to the other side of the deck, pretending he did not see and hear the bloody spectacle that took place on the ice.

The sailor was not proven guilty, as the entire crew testified that he could not hear or see the commissar.

Comment

• That was cruel even if that bloke was a irritating chap.

Should have given him the scare of his life and then saved at the nick of time so that he would have realised that it was not Lenin who was the Saviour, but the Creator!

Though I understand the intense distaste that such people can give rise to. There are some Communists in our Parliament who require to be kicked up the many steps of the Parliament! ;)
                            Last edited by Ray; 22 Apr 07,, 19:14.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
                              My father told this while serving on a Soviet merchant navy ship.
                              On his ship there was a commisar (the Soviet party informants) who was loathed by the crew. For example, he did not allow the crew to exit the ship when in "capitalist" countries (something that was not allowed but rarely enforced), accused everyone on being anti-communist, and other things that really sh!tted the crew. Of course, they could not do anything about it, he was a party member after all.

One time, when the ship was stuck in the ice of the Barents sea, waiting for an Arktika-class icebreaker to arrive, the annoying commisar decided to take a walk on the ice. The weather was beautiful, and he, probably being tired from all the anti-communist conversations on the ship, wanted some time alone with himself and the spirit of Lenin.
                              To do so, he threw a stormladder overboard and descended.
                              15 minutes later, he came running, all terrified, chased by polar bears. The sailor holding guard duty on deck noticed that, and took action. When acting as he didn't know that the commissar was out for a walk, he immediately pulled up the stormladder (as is prescribed by safety measures) and acted as if he did not hear him.

The entire crew stood on the bridge and watched what would happen. The sailor, after pulling up the stormladder, walked to the other side of the deck, pretending he did not see and hear the bloody spectacle that took place on the ice.

The sailor was not proven guilty, as the entire crew testified that he could not hear or see the commissar.
                              Holy CRAP, dude!

Okay, THAT story is pure Slav. Personally, I can't think of a single worse way to go than to be eaten alive by an animal.

Comment

• Eaten by hyenas

Originally posted by Bluesman View Post
                                Holy CRAP, dude!

Okay, THAT story is pure Slav. Personally, I can't think of a single worse way to go than to be eaten alive by an animal.

There is something particularly terrifying about being eaten. In some parts of Africa they have hyenas and dogs, both wild and feral. They always appear whenever there is gunfire. Whenever they hear gunfire they know there is going to be something to eat even if it's only a hunters offal.

Right after a fire fight and sometimes even while it's going on they always appear. They are pretty smart, knowing just how far to stay out of rifle range.

They also can tell when someone's injured or wounded. They will leave a strong man alone but will single out women, children and anyone who's injured. When tracking a party with wounded in the daytime you just follow the vultures. Vultures will follow anyone or anything with an abnormal walk or limp. At night you follow the sound of the hyenas.

Hyenas are nothing if not efficient, come back the next day to the site of a kill and there's hardly a sign left. Hyenas are persistent. They will travel thirty kilometers to a city cemetery in order to dig up a body. This is why in some places they bury caskets encased in concrete, the poorer use asphalt.

I had a captured Cuban officer (a Captain) tell me one of his greatest fears was to be left out on some African plain to be eaten by wild animals. The thought of being left out on the veld alone, helpless and wounded to be eaten by hyenas is something that will make otherwise brave men panic.
                                Last edited by sappersgt; 24 Apr 07,, 07:21.
                                Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
                                (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

Working...
                                X