Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M1A2 vs Challenger 2 (intelligent debate)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
    John, even now Glyn drives his Merc with a guy walking in front waving a Flag!! the AA still salute him
    You can talk, you have 1st hand experience with Conqueror - William

Me, I was just a Nig compared to you three
    Join the Army! Travel to exotic, distant lands and sweep it!

Comment

Originally posted by glyn View Post
      Have we any members who served on M-103s? I would like to hear their views on it. Might be worth starting a 'T-10, Conqueror & M-103 thread'.

Better off looking for some Marine tankers, they had more time on the M103.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ex MIB View Post
        You can talk, you have 1st hand experience with Conqueror - William

Me, I was just a Nig compared to you three
        I'm going to report you to Corporal Montgomery about your insolence

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
          I'm going to report you to Corporal Montgomery about your insolence
          he finally got promoted hey P'nuts good on him
          sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

Originally posted by T_igger_cs_30 View Post
            he finally got promoted hey P'nuts good on him
            Fine,Sergeant Montgomery then, after !ST parade, that Murrey whippersnapper' s not getting away with this!!:)

Comment

My own experience of tanks as a crewman and commander is Centurion
              My favorite tank of all time! I gotta hear some stories about that.
              In Iran people belive pepsi stands for pay each penny save israel. -urmomma158
              The Russian Navy is still a threat, but only to those unlucky enough to be Russian sailors.-highsea

Comment

Originally posted by Stan187 View Post
                My favorite tank of all time! I gotta hear some stories about that.
                That quote is slightly misleading as I never did command a Centurion, however one of the old recognitions about being a great Centurion crewman was being able to load and get 3 rounds in the air(yes in the air) in 1 (one) minute obviously fireing semi indirect, a skill lost on the arrival of split case ammunition
                sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Comment

That quote is slightly misleading as I never did command a Centurion, however one of the old recognitions about being a great Centurion crewman was being able to load and get 3 rounds in the air(yes in the air) in 1 (one) minute obviously fireing semi indirect, a skill lost on the arrival of split case ammunition
                  My memory says that 7 seconds after firing the first APDS the third was leaving the muzzle!
                  Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Originally posted by glyn View Post
                    My memory says that 7 seconds after firing the first APDS the third was leaving the muzzle!
                    True, as the best Cent Gunner in the Regt and Dave Rata as the best Loader we could get 4 HESH rounds at Hitlers Bunker at Hohne in the late 60's and 70's..Bag charges changed all that..and not for the better!!:) Cent,Chief,and Chall Commander... but give me the old Cent any day

Comment

• Originally posted by glyn View Post
                      memory does fade Glyn in us all ........ think about that load..fire ..recoil...runout...load... x3 in 7 secs...."urban legend" methinks..........
                      sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Comment

• ps.... my example is obviously HESH semi indirect at 5000m.....all 3 rounds in the air....and should also read less than 1 minute ......
                        sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Comment

• Originally posted by T_igger_cs_30 View Post
                          ps.... my example is obviously HESH semi indirect at 5000m.....all 3 rounds in the air....and should also read less than 1 minute ......
                          plus a smoke break

Comment

memory does fade Glyn in us all ........ think about that load..fire ..recoil...runout...load... x3 in 7 secs...."urban legend" methinks..........

Oh, memory plays tricks alright, but the time starts from the first round being fired from the Centurion Mk 5, with the loader holding the second in his arms. That gets whanged in as soon as the spent case falls into the basket. ( If firing into wind the fume extractor [bore evacuator to our American readers] did sod-all useful and your eyes are smarting!) Then to the ready bin for the third round, which again will be loaded as the gun runs out. I do not suggest this rate of fire can be continued all day! Ammo-bashing comes a close second to track-bashing in my book.) I can still remember the smell lingering for days on the skin, even after repeated showers.
                            Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Not really the 105 with steel cased ammo was very easy to speed/vacume load while stationary. Pre-load round one, loader is holding round 2, as soon as the gun fires loaders dropping the second round into the tray (supposedly if you do it fast enough the bore evacuator will suck the round the in hence the vacume load). Once round two is loaded the loader is grabbing round three from the floor (the Pattons bustle storage would slow this down not sure but didn't cents have hull storage) and is ready to drop it in place as soon as round two goes out the tube.

I wouldn't want to try it on the move or with combustable cartridges incase of flash back, but with steel cased ammo on a stationary tank where the crew can prep for the drill it is very doable.

Comment

• Originally posted by zraver View Post
                                Not really the 105 with steel cased ammo was very easy to speed/vacume load while stationary. Pre-load round one, loader is holding round 2, as soon as the gun fires loaders dropping the second round into the tray (supposedly if you do it fast enough the bore evacuator will suck the round the in hence the vacume load). Once round two is loaded the loader is grabbing round three from the floor (the Pattons bustle storage would slow this down not sure but didn't cents have hull storage) and is ready to drop it in place as soon as round two goes out the tube.

I wouldn't want to try it on the move or with combustable cartridges incase of flash back, but with steel cased ammo on a stationary tank where the crew can prep for the drill it is very doable.
                                I never got close and I was good ...........and pre loading kind of makes it easy the true test is from aquiring the target and initial fire order
                                Last edited by T_igger_cs_30; 26 Feb 07,, 04:24.
                                sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Comment

Working...
                                X