Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M1A2 vs Challenger 2 (intelligent debate)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [QUOTE=Officer of Engineers;450220]

is there a serviceman from Texas who is not in the Calvary?

Is this a trick question?
    Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

• I think there may be a correlation between the number of Cavalrymen from Texas and the sheer size of Fort Hood.

Thanks for the welcome.
      Tanks, Fender Strats and Texas BBQ!

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
        The M2 .50 caliber MG on the TCs cupola can be fired from within the tank by the TC. The if you look at the photo of the tank with the turret over the left side you can see a black cable. That is part of the firing system. The cupola can be turned and controlled from within the turret or while standing behind the gun. The TCs M240 is on a pintle mount (side note: When I commanded a Bradley company I always wanted to have one of those on my Bradley!) The .50 cal on the main gun is controlled from the gunners station.

As for which is better?

I only have personal knowledge of the M1....and as tanks go I think it is second to none. The attached tank platoons I had in my rifle comapny were awesome weapons. However from everything which I have read it is a matter of degrees...armor better in one, stab system better in the other, etc, etc. Chally, M1 and Leo 2 all sit together on the top of the pyramid. T-90 and Leclerc just right behind.
        I'd say that the lack of blowout ammo storage panels in the Chally significantly detracts from its place on the pyramid. This problem is even more so exacerbated by the Leo 2, which as far as I'm aware has rounds openly stored right in the turret personnel compartament.
        In Iran people belive pepsi stands for pay each penny save israel. -urmomma158
        The Russian Navy is still a threat, but only to those unlucky enough to be Russian sailors.-highsea

Comment

• Tankguy

Good stuff!

I am a bit dated...glad to see someone with personal experience on both diving in.
          “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
          Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Tankguy View Post
            4. Crew Ammenities: edge CR2
            I tried to "nick" a couple of BVs and a commander's seat before leaving the UK. I also like the fact the the gunner's hand controls also allow him to change day/TI and magnification.
            You forgot to mention the Challenger 2 has a brewer for tea. :P

What we need on the M-1 is a soda fountain. Preferable the ones in 7-Eleven. High volume nozzle. Can top off a Super Big Gulp in less than 5 seconds.:))
            "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

• Originally posted by gunnut View Post

What we need on the M-1 is a soda fountain. Preferable the ones in 7-Eleven. High volume nozzle. Can top off a Super Big Gulp in less than 5 seconds.:))
              Forget that gunnut, think big... Slurpie machine!
              The Russian Navy is still a threat, but only to those unlucky enough to be Russian sailors.-highsea

Comment

• [QUOTE=gunnut;450361]You forgot to mention the Challenger 2 has a brewer for tea. :P

The BV is the brewer for tea. They call it the boiling vessel. On the US Strykers, all variants had one. Very handy to have. You can drop your MRE entrees in it, turn it on and they are ready when you are.

Then again, the Strykers also have 110 and 220 power outlets....

Comment

• Originally posted by Tankguy View Post
                  Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                  The BV is the brewer for tea. They call it the boiling vessel. On the US Strykers, all variants had one. Very handy to have. You can drop your MRE entrees in it, turn it on and they are ready when you are.

Then again, the Strykers also have 110 and 220 power outlets....
                  When you need to watch a DVD, you need to watch a DVD. Don't matter if there's a firefight outside. :))

Comment

• Originally posted by Stan187 View Post
                    Forget that gunnut, think big... Slurpie machine!
                    Ooooh now you're talking. That should be a big hit during the hot summer days in Iraq.

Comment

Ooooh now you're talking. That should be a big hit during the hot summer days in Iraq.
                      I think any "big hits" are not appreciated in Iraq ;) , that doesn't sound kosher if you know what I mean

Comment

When you need to watch a DVD, you need to watch a DVD. Don't matter if there's a firefight outside. :))
                        I'm just saying, but you can rig up a HMMWV with surround sound and DVD screens for the driver and TC . . . theoretically, of course ;)

Comment

• Whats up Tankguy. I assume by your picture your a fellow A8/K8? Are you still active? The reason I ask is because its such a small community we probably either know each other or the same people. You can pm me if you like.

Comment

• Ofogs

Originally posted by ofogs View Post
                            I'm just saying, but you can rig up a HMMWV with surround sound and DVD screens for the driver and TC . . . theoretically, of course ;)

Sigh...and some of us old dogs remember fondly how we cou could hook up that brand new device called a Walkman into our 1780 box on our M113s so we could listen to music as we were cruising around!!!

(Mumbling to myself as I go to look for my porridge....)
                            Mark Twain

Comment

• I had a gunner at Stewart back in the (showing age) late 80s that was a bit of an electrician. He rigged a full on car stereo into our 1780. I remember my first NTC rotation hauling butt through the central corridor listening to War Pigs.

Comment

• Tank Guy

Originally posted by Tankguy View Post
                                I had a gunner at Stewart back in the (showing age) late 80s that was a bit of an electrician. He rigged a full on car stereo into our 1780. I remember my first NTC rotation hauling butt through the central corridor listening to War Pigs.
                                I commanded A/3-19 IN in 87-88. Always was cross attached to 1-64 Armor (Tuskers) with "Bud Light"...who were you with?
                                Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X