Conscription?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some pointers here:

1) Ireland most certainly has an Army (Defence Forces Headquarters -. The Irish Air Force and Irish Navy are a part of the Irish Army (like the USAAF was with the US Army until 1947). It numbers about 8,500 regulars and about 15,000 reserves. The main function of the Irish Defense Force is to provide technical and armed support to the Garda (Irish police).

2) The UK had conscription from about 1915 until the 1960s. Im not sure of the exact years.

As for conscription; I can see both points of view on the issue but I dont think a nation should carry it out in peacetime unless they have a naturally aggressive neighbor (ex. North Korea, China, Iran, etc). I do however think we should some up with some program where people are taught basic military skills as part of their high school curriculum in the same style as drivers ed.

Comment

Originally posted by -{SpoonmaN}- View Post
      First, congrats on getting your own forum, I know we've had a few differences over the past few years but you put in an informed opnion (even if I don't agree with it somteimes, then again this forum has changed some of my views a little) on just about everything and that's more than can be said for most.
      Now, down to business, do you, and your Military bretheren, feel that Conscription is actually worth it? I'm led to believe that conscripts are, on average, less capable than volunteer soldiers, and maintaining a system to conscript soldiers must be expensive. Then of course there's the ethical considerations of sending people into war zones when they may be completely opposed to the conflict.
      Anyways, the trend seems to be towards professional Militaries these days, is that for the best, or do Military Forces benefit from the extra recruits?
      depending what situation you are in ,remember conscripts do not necessarilly want to be where they are regulars do ,as a former conscript in the old SADF i feel that we where well trained and pretty good at what we did but we where the bad guys ,it was,nt really our choice ,during the second world war or major world conflicts ,you need conscripts its a matter of fact ,like i said depending on the situation

Comment

Working...
      X