Worst Military Portrayal in a Movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bull
    Enemy at the gates ...thats one of my favourite!!!
    Sorry dude, but that reality was so unlike the movie it was almost a travesty to say that it was based on a true story.
    "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

12 O'Clock High... The scene that's burned into my dad's memory, is when he tries to pull himself up into the hatch, and he physically just can't do it.

For the professors I've worked with (and I do mean "with" not just "for"), I've always appreciated that the majority of them would even be in on weekends doing some of the more menial tasks, such as mowing the lawn around or pulling weeds from the campus research plots. If I stumbled across my prof putting time in, I made it a point to stay until the tasking was finished.
      The black flag is raised: Ban them all... Let the Admin sort them out.

I know I'm going to have the last word... I have powers of deletion and lock.

Comment

Originally posted by leibstandarte10
        Sorry dude, but that reality was so unlike the movie it was almost a travesty to say that it was based on a true story.
        Oddly enough, most of the Russian snipers killed in the movie were based on real people... Who actually survived the war.
        The black flag is raised: Ban them all... Let the Admin sort them out.

I know I'm going to have the last word... I have powers of deletion and lock.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray

There was this film (I forget the name) which was supposed to be based on the 1962 War with China, where India got a drubbing.

In that film, the heroine was dancing, singing, parancing, romancing with the military hero up in the High Altitude mountains (Ladakh) with the Chinese all around!
          Sir,
          I disagree on this. If you are referring to Haqikat (Reality) made in 1964 by Chetan Mehta. I agree about the song and dance part of the film. But it remains a classic movie that brought home the reality of the war to the Indian masses in the days when TV was not a part of our lives.
          The lyrics of the theme song "E mere watan ke logo" is an ever green tear jerker.
          There are a whole lot of Indian made war movies that are plane stupid an poorly made.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

'The Battle of the Bulge'. I believe it had Telly Sovalis and some other big actors of the day in it, but it's been a while since I last saw it. A classic example of a glorification of warfare, it didn't show a drop of blood being spilt, yet hundreds of people died on screen, all of course dying instantly unless they had something dramatic to say. Oh and did you know, you can destory and entire company of King Tiger tanks using only flaming fuel barrels according to this movie?

Comment

As for a 'good' depiction of warfare (Veterans forgive me, since I'm obviously not one myself), I think the Thin Red Line did a good job of showing how ugly war is, while at the same time not putting all the people who go to war up on a pedestal, they are after all, human too (That was Black Hawk Down's biggest failing, it's not like everyone in the Military is some sort of all-American hero).

Comment

Originally posted by Horrido
                Oddly enough, most of the Russian snipers killed in the movie were based on real people... Who actually survived the war.
                I saw a program on the History Channel that called into question the existance of the German Sniper Colonel (or was it Major) Koenig. The program claimed that Vasily Zytsev(?) did exist and was indeed a sniper. But the sniper duel in Stalingrad was entirely made up. Post war German research could not find a sniper instructor named Koenig who was sent to Stalingrad to hunt for Russian snipers.
                "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut
                  I saw a program on the History Channel that called into question the existance of the German Sniper Colonel (or was it Major) Koenig. The program claimed that Vasily Zytsev(?) did exist and was indeed a sniper. But the sniper duel in Stalingrad was entirely made up. Post war German research could not find a sniper instructor named Koenig who was sent to Stalingrad to hunt for Russian snipers.
                  Regardless of whether or not he really existed, sniper-duels are supposed to have taken place, I believe they were mentioned on a History Channel documentary on Stalingrad. I think it was one of the Line of Fire series.

Comment

Pearl Harbor was a chick flick so it's ok not to like it :)

Comment

What about Thin Red Line?

Comment

Originally posted by HistoricalDavid
                        Ray,

http://thetvroom.com/p-bbc-one-2002-b.shtml

(Second set of pictures from the top.)

The BBC likes to throw random Bollywood in its adverts, though we never actually have any Indian films at all.
                        That one looks the typical Bollywood stuff - song, dance, villian, no storyline and the usual humbug.

There are some good ones too like BLACK and PARINITA.

But then I don't watch movies unless they are good. My attention span for movies is very low and I normally go off to sleep.

My bed is a better place to sleep.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by agent6
                          What about Thin Red Line?
                          Eh, i thought that was crap too.

You want to see a good war movie, get your hands on the movie, "The Beast".

May not be the most realistic at all times, but it sure is GOOD. ;)

Comment

I forgot about DOOM. I liked it.

Comment

Blackadder season 4 was probably the funniest.

"He is encouraging me to get my Brains Blown out for Britain."
                              "Any relations in a social order will endure if there is infused into them some of that spirit of human sympathy, which qualifies life for immortality." ~ George William Russell

Comment

Working...
                              X