Russian aircraft buzz USS Kitty Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russian aircraft buzz USS Kitty Hawk

I came across this while browsing warfare.ru and thought I'd pass it along as I missed it when it originally happened and thought you might find it interesting.

Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 10:57:55 EST
    Subject: USS Kitty Hawk Incident

The Real Story of the USS Kitty Hawk Incident

Miscellaneous Miscellaneous
    Source: Military E-Mail
    Published: 9 December 2000 Author: U.S. Navy F/A-18 Pilot
    Posted on 12/13/2000 17:32:15 PST by Spook86
    Note: The following is an eyewitness account of the recent Russian "buzzing" of the USS Kitty Hawk in the Sea of Japan. It was written by a U.S. Navy F/A-18 pilot who was on the carrier at the time of the incident. I received this via e-mail from a military colleague who, in turn, verified that it came from the Kitty Hawk. It makes for interesting reading, and provides a remarkable account of the absolute buffoonery that took place during the incident. Comments in brackets were added to clarify or explain military jargon

Flying **** : -Cruise was pretty easy and interesting: 54 days at sea, 40
    traps [carrier landings], and 45 [flying] hours in the month of October
    alone! Yes, we flew our asses off! Since I'm one of three department heads with all my quals I fly a lot. Here's an interesting story (this is a no
    sh---er). I was on the bridge in line to drive the ship as there are a bunch
    of O-5s and a few O-4s earning our "coming alongside" qual. It's a gay shoe boy ***** where you give commands to the helm and lee helm (that's the throttle, dude) and you're actually flying formation on the replenishment ship during UNREPS [underway replenishment ops]. You do this under the close supervision of the Captain of the ship and the CDO (command duty officer--an O-5, usually the navigator or assistant navigator).

Anyways, I'm sitting there bullsh-----g with my XO [executive officer] who is also getting his qual and we hear on the CO's squawk box a call from CIC (Combat Info Center). They said "sir, we're getting indications of Russian fighter activity." His response was "launch the alert fighters." Combat told him the highest alerts were Alert 30s [launch within 30 minutes of notification]. The Captain got p---ed and said "launch everything we've got ASAP." I ran to the navigator's phone and called the SDO [squadron duty officer]. Our squadron didn't have alert duty that day, bummer, so I told him to find out who did and get their ass moving up to the flight deck (only Alert 7s are actually sitting on the flight deck, ready to go; alert 30s means you are in the ready room).

Anyways, 40 minutes after the CO called away the alerts, a Russian SU-27 Flanker [air superiority fighter--similar to a U.S. F-15] and SU-24 [strike fighter, akin to an F-111] Fencer made a 500 knot, 200 foot pass directly over the tower of the Kitty Hawk...it was just like in Top Gun, shoes on the bridge spilled coffee and everyone said "H--y S---!. I looked at the Captain at this point and his face was red. He looked like he just walked in on his wife getting boned by a Marine. The Russian fighters made two more high speed, low altitude passes before we finally launched the first aircraft off the deck...a EA-6B Prowler [electronic warfare aircraft]. That's right...we launched a f-----g Prower and he ended up in a 1 versus 1 with the Flanker just in front of the ship. The Flanker was all over his ass (kind of like a bear batting around a little bunny right before he eats it). He was screaming for help when finally an [F/A-18] Hornet from our sister squadron (I use this term in the literal sense because they looked like a bunch of f-----g girls playing with the Russians) got off the deck and made the intercept. It was too late. The entire crew watched overhead as the Russians made a mockery of our feeble attempt to intercept them. The funny part of the story was the
    Admiral and the CAG [Carrier Air Group Commander] were in their morning meeting in the war room andthey were interrupted by the thundering roar of Russians buzzing the tower. A CAG staff dude told me they looked at each other and our airplan, noticed we didn't have any flights scheduled until a few hours later, and said "what was that?"

Four days later, the Russian intelligence agency e-mailed the CO of the Kitty Hawk and enclosed pictures they had taken of our dudes scrambling around the flight deck, frantically trying to get airborne. I'm quite sure the f-----g loser shoe boy [black shoe=ship driver/surface warfare officer] in charge of our battle group's air defense was fired. It's also ironic that the Admiral's change-of-command occurred just a few weeks prior to this incident. Anyways, the Russians tried to come out a few other times, and we were more than ready. I personally intercepted an IL-38 May [anti-submarine wargfare aircraft] and shoved my wingtip in front of his windscreen to prevent him from turning towards the ship (yeah, yeah we're friends now, blow me). In typical Navy Senior officer knee jerk fashion our entire airwing stood alerts around the clock as if WWII was going to break out anytime. This story was plasteredall over Russian and Japanese newspapers yesterday. The Russians even awarded their aircrew medals for their achievement. What f-----g shame! I felt like I was on the Bad News Bears and we got our asses kicked, and I didn't even get off the bench to help the team.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Yeah, a lot of good a Prowler will do against a Flanker.
    "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

They've got video of Tu-16 Badgers doing BELOW-deck passes alongside carriers. One even got a little too low, resulting in the Soviets *****ing about the loss and us exclaiming,"We didn't shoot it down!"
      The black flag is raised: Ban them all... Let the Admin sort them out.

I know I'm going to have the last word... I have powers of deletion and lock.

Comment

I guess being the only true Maritime Super Power on the planet means you dont really have to worry about serious attempts on your carriers, so people get the chance to play around like that. Out of curiosity, would those two aircraft have been able to pack enough firepower to seriously dent the Carrier?

Comment

Originally posted by Horrido
          They've got video of Tu-16 Badgers doing BELOW-deck passes alongside carriers. One even got a little too low, resulting in the Soviets *****ing about the loss and us exclaiming,"We didn't shoot it down!"
          Wow, link?
          HD Ready?

Comment

My, that's weird. Sending a Prowler to intercept a Flanker is rather pathetic. Didn't they have F-14s to do that? Just a Flanker and Fencer can't really do much but they could have destroyed the catapults allowing more Fencers or Fullbacks to come.

Comment

Nah, the USN no longer needs high speed interceptors. The mission that called for them has died...

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
                Nah, the USN no longer needs high speed interceptors. The mission that called for them has died...

Stealth Aircraft Carriers in the offing?

Comment

Am the only one that thinks this "story" is a giant load of bullshiit?

What a bunch of rubbish. Good ol' warfare.ru

Lol. Russian Flankers in the Sea of Japan indeed.....
                  "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

I am sure that the details are completely wrong, but this incident did happen, i've seen the pix before.

LOL. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by -{SpoonmaN}-
                      Out of curiosity, would those two aircraft have been able to pack enough firepower to seriously dent the Carrier?
                      If the carrier's deck was packed with fueled and armed aircraft, all it takes is a single detonation of the even smallest kind and you've got a funeral pyre.
                      Attached Files
                      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

...but this incident did happen, i've seen the pix before.

LOL. ;)
                        Well, it's a humorous story...

Of course, we already know that F-18 drivers all take turns driving the carrier, lol.

Errr.....yeah.....that's why he doesn't know what a lee helm is. And of course, a naval aviator who is "one of 3 department heads" would have no qualms depicting the USN as a bunch of keystone cops (as long as it was in the form of an anonymous email). And sure, we would send a Prowler up to dogfight Flankers "right in front of the ship".

"I ran to the navigator's phone and called the SDO [squadron duty officer]. Our squadron didn't have alert duty that day, bummer, so I told him to find out who did and get their ass moving up to the flight deck"

ROFLMAO.
                        "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Bro, i am not vouching for the story or his version of the facts, or his authenticity.

I just know that the actual incident in question occured becase as i said, i(we all) have seen the pictures. :)

US carriers have been buzzed lots of times.

Comment

...I just know that the actual incident in question occured becase as i said, i(we all) have seen the pictures. :)

US carriers have been buzzed lots of times.
                            Oh, no doubt there was a fly-by, I don't recall the incident, and don't really feel like trying to dig up the real details.

I was just a little put-off by the corny depiction of a naval aviator and the crew of the Kitty Hawk, and the absence of scepticism in the replies on this thread....

Comment

Originally posted by highsea
                              Am the only one that thinks this "story" is a giant load of bullshiit?

What a bunch of rubbish. Good ol' warfare.ru

Lol. Russian Flankers in the Sea of Japan indeed.....
                              Here are a few sites that also picked up the story, it looks legit to me.

http://www.pstripes.com/dec00/ed120900a.html

http://bravotroop.my100megs.com/n1202dec2000.html

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=15625
                              Last edited by tim52; 06 Mar 06,, 19:49.
                              Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Comment

Working...
                              X