Prime minister Stephan Harper hides away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prime minister Stephan Harper hides away

Am I the only one who notices that Harper has made barely any public appearances since he was elected.

1) He gave his condolences to Cpl. Paul Davis's family

2) He gave a speech telling the Liberals to shut the hell up about the Afghanistan mission.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
      2) He gave a speech telling the Liberals to shut the hell up about the Afghanistan mission.
      I like him already.
      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

He screwed up the 1st day he presented his cabinet when he grabbed a defector and appointed an unelected crony into his cabinet. I don't trust him anymore than Martin.

Comment

I don't blame Harper for grabbing Emerson (although I certainly don't blame Emerson's constituents for being mad that he switched parties 2 weeks after the election), but I am mad about Fortier...Senate reform my a$$.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut
            I like him already.
            Agreed!!!! We lose two guys in a rollover accedent and one guy gets an axe in the back of the head (and survives) and all of a sudden Afganistan isn't worth it!

Just what we need........more cut and run defeatists.....now all of a sudden because conservatives are running the country we are helping the U.S. fight in Iraq by sending more troops to Afganistan....lets just forget that we were there before the Iraq war when Afganistan was the "good" war.

As for this whole Emerson thing, the NDP and Liberals are raising more of a stink in Ottawa than the people here in Vancouver.....
            Facts to a liberal is like Kryptonite to Superman.

-- Larry Elder

Comment

Originally posted by smilingassassin
              As for this whole Emerson thing, the NDP and Liberals are raising more of a stink in Ottawa than the people here in Vancouver.....
              The stink is being raised in Alberta, the heart of Reform country.

Comment

Go figure, PM Harper finally emerges from hiding and it's in Afghanistan no less....First foregn trip and it's to the troops.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
                  The stink is being raised in Alberta, the heart of Reform country.
                  Yes but here in Vancouver, Emersons riding, you can practically hear the crickets chirping. There are a few who are trying to get a petition to get him to resign or have a reelection in his riding, but its a far cry from whats going on elsewhere, particularily in Ottawa....

-- Larry Elder

Comment

Originally posted by Prairie Canuck
                    Go figure, PM Harper finally emerges from hiding and it's in Afghanistan no less....First foregn trip and it's to the troops.
                    Yes, troops that more or less have the support of their countrymen but also to a country that is gratefull for our support.

Remember....before Iraq Afganistan was "the good war". Jack Layton wants to have a debate on a commitment we have already made and Harper....god love em....said too late we made the commitment. Nothing but pure politics on Laytons part and this visit by Harper was to shut the critics up.

-- Larry Elder

Comment

h

Comment

Haha

Harper's confession of amorous awkwardness draws guffaws from wife

OTTAWA (CP) - Call Stephen Harper what you will, but don't call him a Conservative Casanova.

The prime minister was quick to correct a New Democrat MP who accused him today of "seducing" former Liberal David Emerson into switching parties. Harper reminded the House of Commons that his reputation is that of a bookish loner rather than a hot-blooded lothario.

"I don't think I've ever been accused of seducing anyone, even my wife," he told chortling MPs.

The observation brought howls of laughter from his wife, Laureen, who was watching her husband's first question period as prime minister.

Her reaction did not escape the eye of her husband, who commented: "I see there's some agreement in the gallery there."
                        ---------------------------------------

Even though he was obviously trying to get out of the whole Emerson thing, it's still pretty funny. I'm getting to like Harper, whereas before I just liked his party (and not all of it either). He seems to be a real person, while Martin and Chretien were clearly just professional politicians (and not all that professional).
                        Last edited by ZFBoxcar; 07 Apr 06,, 04:40.

Comment

Personally I had some reservations about Harper, but the Liberals clearly were not up to the task of governing any longer and I'd never vote NDP while I'm still sane. The conseravtives presented a more appealing platform IMO and so far they are living up to the bits I liked.

Harper certainly gets the media's scorn for insignificant issues like his pot belly and other unnessassary personal attacks that Martin and Chretien never got, but as you said he comes across as a human being rather than strictly a politician.

-- Larry Elder

Comment

Working...
                          X