No announcement yet.

.41 Magnum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The magnum-porting will hurt the value of that Mountain Gun.
    A very limited we’re made in .41 magnum. A fair amount of .45’s were made lesser amounts in .357 magnum were also made. Though .44 magnum was the most common caliber. Nice 38 oz hand cannons.

Comment

Originally posted by surfgun View Post
      The magnum-porting will hurt the value of that Mountain Gun.
      A very limited we’re made in .41 magnum. A fair amount of .45’s were made lesser amounts in .357 magnum were also made. Though .44 magnum was the most common caliber. Nice 38 oz hand cannons.
      Good eyes. I did not notice the ports when I posted that picture purloined from a Google image search result. Obvious now.

An M625 Mountain with a second cylinder machined for .45 Win Mag would be interesting, as that could also chamber the .45 ACP. The .45 Win Mag is essentially a lengthened .45 ACP with more metal internally in the region of the head, externally sharing the same geometry other than length. In semi auto these headspace on case mouth, but in revolver the .45 ACP is headspaced using a clip rather than the case mouth. I don't know if a commercial production revolver was ever made that chambered .45 Win Mag (maybe Taurus? not S&W as far as I know).

M625 .45 ACP with full moon clip below,
      older M1917 .45 ACP half moon clip below that,
      .45 Winchester Magnum and .45 ACP side by side below that:

Click image for larger version

Name:	the_modern_smith_625_with_moon_clips.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	1477484

Name:	half_moon_clips.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	1477485

Name:	45-win-45-auto.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	1477486
      Last edited by JRT; 14 Oct 18,, 21:30.

Comment

I think the cylinder would be a little thin for the .45 Win Mag. If you had a newer 625 in ACP, one could use .45 Super with no modification.
        If one had a 610 (or one of the new Ruger revolvers) a 10mm automatic chambered revolver, it could be reamed to take the 10mm Magnum cartridge.

https://www.starlinebrass.com/brass-...0MM-Mag-Brass/

https://www.underwoodammo.com/produc...=7865928941625
        Last edited by surfgun; 15 Oct 18,, 00:38.

Comment

Working...
        X