The Siege of Firebase Gloria (1989) question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Siege of Firebase Gloria (1989) question

Is the movie "The Siege of Firebase Gloria" with R Lee Ermey based on a true story?

Originally posted by ChrisF202
    Is the movie "The Siege of Firebase Gloria" with R Lee Ermey based on a true story?
    Great (and terrible) movie :)
    I personally like it for what it is and wish that a decent version would be released on DVD.

I don't doubt that source material was drawn from actual experiences from Tet.

I know that Gunny Ermey kinda grimaces when someone brings up that movie to him (though I'm sure his fans love the movie).

It was described by a reviewer as a "B-movie that rises above it's roots", which is true.
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

It's based on a composite of the trials of the marines at various firebases and outposts surrounding Khe Sahn during the 1968 Tet offensive.

There were a lot of CMoHs won at those outlaying bases during the siege. Most as usual, posthumously.

Comment

Thanks for the answers, I personally liked it.

Comment

Like Tophatter said. GSGT. R. Lee Ermey might spew bile in a more literal sense if you mention that movie. Maybe try something slightly more obscurre. Invader Zim ep. Hobo 13 perhaps?

"Sgt. Hobo" certainly had stiff competition as the best character of that episode, when stacked up against Scooge, The Tallest, Throbulator, and the misc. Urkin's betting against Zim.

Comment

Working...
          X