No announcement yet.

What if: Western Allies vs Russia- 1945

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The French had two divisions in the field by the end of WWII.

One was under LeClerk. I guess they'd fight, but who knows. The world was pretty sick of war by then, and the French already had all their territory back.

Comment

plus ya know...they ARE French, so its doubtful whether they would make a difference. :D

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper

One was under LeClerk. I guess they'd fight, but who knows. The world was pretty sick of war by then, and the French already had all their territory back.
        Heh, knowing the French, they probably wouldn't, and they wouldn't allow us to use their land or airspace to launch attacks if it came to war with the USSR in 1945.
        "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

All they really had to do was show the French a soldier with an unloaded gun and they'd let the US use France for bases.
          Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

I believe the deciding factor in not taking on the Russians at the end of WWII was the UK. They were worn out from fighting since 1939. Their economy was a shambles, the French economy was a shambles, and the German economy was a shambles. The only one doing well was the US. The only other country with large armed forces was the UK and they said we will not support a war with Russia at this time. If the UK was not going to be involved, Australia and Canada would not be involved. Without their involvement, the US citizenry would not have wanted to continue the war. The only way for there to have been a war with Russia is for the Russians to continue to attack US forces. They did attack the US once and took advantage of our belief that we were allies. I think they captured 2000 US troops of which we never got all of them back. At that point we should have nailed their hides to the wall unless they gave our people back, but politicians are most often cowards, real men never get re-elected.....

As to who would have won a war? The Western Nations. Would it have been quick and easy? No! Why would they have won?

1. B-29's would have destroyed the production capability of the Russians. Thus eliminating the possibility of long term re-supply. The end of lend-lease would doom the Russians beyond any doubt… The U.S. logistical line would be shorter from the U.S. to the Eastern USSR than the Russian lines to the Western Front.
            2. Massive numbers of various fighter aircraft to secure air superiority over the Russians. The Russians would not be able to replace destroyed aircraft due to no factories left to build them.
            3. Attacks coming from multiple fronts. The U.S. would be able to land troops just about anywhere they wanted due to landing craft, Battleships, and Carriers. With the "On hand" capabilities, they could very well have landed troops in two or three places at the same time.
            4. Lack of Russian Navy. The Russians had nothing for a surface or subsurface navy to slow the Allies down in the slightest.
            5. U.S. Troops would not have Hitler dictating battle plans. The Germans would have kicked butt except Hitler kept screwing them over with his micromanagement of the campaign.

The list could go on and on…… Bottom line, it never happened

:)Clp
            Revelation 16:16 And he gathered them together into a place called in the Hebrew tongue Armageddon.
            (Been There)

Comment

Yeah, but think about what the world would be like if it did. No Cold War for the next 45 year, no atomic arms race, and no Commies.
              Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

I still think you would have had the commies in China. You still might had had Korea and Vietnam, albeit on smaller scales since Russian technology wouldn't have been supporting them. You might also have not had a communist United Nations like we currently have.

:Dbanana
                Revelation 16:16 And he gathered them together into a place called in the Hebrew tongue Armageddon.
                (Been There)

Comment

The Commies eventually would have died out I think. Like an epidemic. You cordon off all the seprate areas, they burn themselves out.

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper

Dident Leclerc lead the raid on Sabha, Libya from Central Africa?

Comment

I dunno Chris. Sorry.

Comment

The Soviet superiority in numbers and quality of tanks would have meant that Allies would have gotten raped in the arse for a good while. Would anybody care to see what an IS-3 would have done to a Sherman? But as was already pointed out, the Soviet logistical system, i.e. transport trucks, was entirely dependent on US Lend/Lease. Soon enough the lack of spares alone would have ground the Sov's supply train to a halt. Bottom line is, the Western Powers would have won the...I just sure as hell wouldnt have wanted to be around for the kickoff
                        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

The GB Firefly, Churchill VIII and US M26 and M4A3E8 were a good match for the IS-3 and KV-1.

The P-47, A-26, Mosquito and Typhoon were even better counters for russian armor. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter
                            The Soviet superiority in numbers and quality of tanks would have meant that Allies would have gotten raped in the arse for a good while. Would anybody care to see what an IS-3 would have done to a Sherman? But as was already pointed out, the Soviet logistical system, i.e. transport trucks, was entirely dependent on US Lend/Lease. Soon enough the lack of spares alone would have ground the Sov's supply train to a halt. Bottom line is, the Western Powers would have won the...I just sure as hell wouldnt have wanted to be around for the kickoff
                            Right at 1945? The Western allies were in better shape. The Red Army just bled 300,000 men and tons of equipment in driving and taking Berlin.

Comment

Could it have gone nuclear?

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86
                                Could it have gone nuclear?
                                We used it once and it ended the war in days. If I were in charge, it would be a no brainer. Nuke a couple Russian cites and the war would be over.

Comment

Working...
                                X