No announcement yet.

Worst battle to be in for a soldier?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Little Bighorn, with Custer's element of the 7th Cavalry.

Comment

Originally posted by Amled
      A non-military laymans opinion:
      Being a Russian soldier during the WWII!
      Charging the German lines, while having the NKVD behind you shooting anyone who falters!
      Talk about being between the rock and the hard place.
      Maybe being one of Pickett’s Virginians walking that bloody mile on Cemetery Hill and into the mouths of the Union cannons!
      Being Russians is hard in WWII, but at the least if you survive, you live on as a victor, if you die, you will be remember as a hero.

Being a Polish soldier in WWII who oppose the Communist would be quite rough. You pretty much lose the war on both side, and you don't have a home after the war. I wouldn't want to be a Pole in the Warsaw Uprising.

But the worst, man, I think is to fight in any battles of the Russian Civil War as a White. You are pretty much screwed whether you die or not.

Comment

All battles of WWI.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

First Day on the Somme; 65,000 dead
          Battle of Borodino 1812; 60,000 dead. If Napoleon had been a mere commander rather than an Emperor, I think he would have lost his head for this Battle.
          Third Battle of Nanking 1864, 150,000 dead over three days. Thats more than the Union battle dead during thr American Civil War.

Any time Halagu Khan faced you.
          Bruislov Offensive: 1916
          Verdun: 1916
          Stalingrad
          Chosin

**Trivia question**
          Which was in terms of lives lost, the bloodiest single day in human history?
          "Any relations in a social order will endure if there is infused into them some of that spirit of human sympathy, which qualifies life for immortality." ~ George William Russell

Comment

Originally posted by sparten
            First Day on the Somme; 65,000 dead
            Battle of Borodino 1812; 60,000 dead. If Napoleon had been a mere commander rather than an Emperor, I think he would have lost his head for this Battle.
            I think (not interested in doing research at 0500!) that Borodino saw 60K from BOTH sides, whereas the 60K from the Somme was just the poor Brits.

My reason for picking it was the sheer mindless stupidity and hopelessness of the whole thing. No result achieved; force shattered. My cat could've managed that battle better, and the conditions were almost as bad for the troops as for a Napoleonic soldier.

For sheer horror, I don't think there was anything to match the depths that warfare sank to in WWI (from the modern era, anyway; the Thirty Years' War and the Taiping Rebellion were also bestial, but belong in a different context).

Originally posted by sparten
            **Trivia question**
            Which was in terms of lives lost, the bloodiest single day in human history?
            I believe it was the earthquake in China that killed 700K.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman
              The Somme. I think that's the worst by such a long margin, that I'd really have to be convinced of another one that was worse.
              I agree.
              The more I think about it, ol' Billy was right.
              Let's kill all the lawyers, kill 'em tonight.
              - The Eagles

Comment

Originally posted by Major Dad
                I agree.
                If someone can explain to me how the somme was worse than Guadal canal or Stalingrad, of for that matter Thermopalae(IMO probably the worst ever from the defenders standpoint, as every single defender of the pass was killed by archery fire after days of close HTH combat...against a Persian force literally 1000+ times their size!) i am all ears.

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
                  If someone can explain to me how the somme was worse than Guadal canal or Stalingrad, of for that matter Thermopalae(IMO probably the worst ever from the defenders standpoint, as every single defender of the pass was killed by archery fire after days of close HTH combat...against a Persian force literally 1000+ times their size!) i am all ears.

If I had to pick one in WWII I think Stallingrad only because I have not read yet about Guadalcanal with exception to the Naval battles there.
                  I may have to revisit this post after reading battle information on it.
                  Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought
                    If I had to pick one in WWII I think Stallingrad only because I have not read yet about Guadalcanal with exception to the Naval battles there.
                    I may have to revisit this post after reading battle information on it.
                    Guadalcanals nickname among the Marines that fought there is "Starvation Island". That should give you an idea as to what kind of hell it was.

I forgot Iwo Jima too.

Iwo Jima was flat out AS BAD AS WAR CAN GET for the individual troopers.

Comment

Guadalcanals nickname among the Marines that fought there is "Starvation Island". That should give you an idea as to what kind of hell it was.

I forgot Iwo Jima too.

Iwo Jima was flat out AS BAD AS WAR CAN GET for the individual troopers.
                      If I recall the Japanese lost the better part of a regiment to crocidiles in one night on Guadacanal.

Comment

Advancing on machine gun nests with fixed bayonets after years of living in diseased flooded trenchs filled with rats and various other parasites

Total dead on both sides = 1 million

Comment

Heh...Not too long ago I was playing "Call Of Duty" and they let you play as the allies in WWII. You have the American, British and of course the Russian campaing. And close to the end of the game you get to play the Stalingrad level. And if Stalingrad looked anywhere near how they portrayed it in the game then it was truely hell on earth.

Comment

At the little Big Horn, none of the soldiers survived, well, Custer's portion anyway.

Custer was a glory hound too.

Comment

Modern

Iraqi soldier First Gulf War...

Or anyone else who would oppose the modern US Military in a traditional field of Battle..
                              For it is a mad world and it will get madder if we allow the minorities, be they dwarf or giant, orangutan or dolphin, nuclear-head or water-conversationalist, pro-computerologist or Neo-Luddite, simpleton or sage, to interfere with aesthetics. ("Coda" 1979)

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith601
                                If I recall the Japanese lost the better part of a regiment to crocidiles in one night on Guadacanal.
                                I've heard that story too.

Comment

Working...
                                X