Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

India’s left parties demand recall of US envoy - The Khaleej Times

Originally posted by Neo
    Simply coz the opposition is linking the deal with US's desire of Indian support on the matter. That puts Indian souvereignity on risk.
    Even outside India, I've sensed the same sentiment in the media.
    Its already happening...

NEW DELHI - India’s left parties Monday asked the government to demand the recall of US ambassador David Mulford for commenting on New Delhi’s stand on Iran’s nuclear programme and the country’s economic policy.

Mulford drew a sharp reaction from the government and opposition parties last week for saying in an interview that India could lose out on a historic nuclear deal with the United States if did not vote against Iran at a crucial meeting of the International Atomic Energy Agency on February 2.

“The government should demand his (Mulford’s) recall from India as it is unbecoming on any ambassador’s part to comment on such matters,” Communist Party of India (Marxist) member Sitaram Yechury was quoted as saying by the Press Trust of India (PTI).

Mulford also raised the hackles of the left parties by criticising them for opposing the government’s move to open India’s vast retail market to foreign investment, in an interview with PTI published Sunday.

He has “crossed all limits by virtually dictating what India should do on a foreign policy issue like Iran and now on its economic policies and what political parties should do or not do,” said D. Raja, secretary of the Communist Party of India.

“Ambassador Mulford has made wide-ranging intervention in the internal affairs of India ... To say the least, it is very unfortunate,” Yechury said.

“It confirms our earlier apprehension that he is directly interfering in India’s internal affairs.”

Mulford had questioned the Left for objecting to the opening of India’s retail market -- the world’s eighth largest and estimated at 250 billion dollars -- to foreign investment.

“Why does Left oppose it (opening up retail to foreign investment)? Are they opposed to farmers and business guys and others getting credit developing their livelihoods and their businesses?,” Mulford told PTI.

The left parties, whose support is vital to the federal coalition government, said the government should take up the issue with US authorities to “either make him mend his ways or seek his recall”.

Comment

Originally posted by Sameer
      Uncle Sam though should learn to shut up and not talk so much, sometimes talking too much screws everything up, had they just shut up, everything would have worked out for them but this is what happens when American education system does not teach enough about the rest of the world, ie you get people who have no idea about geopolitical realities. :)
      That would be a first....lol
      (note to my valued American members of this forum to avoid misconception;
      I'm not against USA, but I'm enjoying this Indo-American honeymoon so far )

Comment

To me India or their dealings with Iran should not be considered. Everybody yes EVERYBODY has a rite to pursue whats best for themselves and their country. But to what end?

People we are supposed to be able to agree or disagree on what is best for this world right or wrong and to take the very best care of it for those that will follow i.e. your children,grandchildren etc. and that man with that kind of weapon will only open doors for more of his particular kind to follow. You hear him on TV and you read the same articles so you know as well as I do we are looking at the very same person.

IMO If allowed to happen with no action taken the Middle East will become a NUCLEAR storm waiting to happen at the drop of one of these religious imams hats since they seem to control all reigns. You may say well we need the oil and whatever else Iran offers them. Fine. So long as you guys in those countries can live with that man's threatening of another countries/peoples right to exist and the ramifications that come when one of those countries decides they had enough and call his bluff and shoves his countries head in the sand with a nuclear device or something closely comparible and as equally destructive.

Then what will we all think? Im sure one of the phrases that will be used will be "I wish we never........" because gauentee that fall out and radiation not necessarily from a warhead but a reactor explosion if operable is going somewhere and killing/poisoning whatever is in its path until it dissapates and hopefully just hopefully it wont be any of your countries. But we will all see it on tv,radio,the web etc and then think what? Why were we so irresponsible as to let this man achieve such weapons for this purpose when we could have prevented it?

Either way and yes I will say this He is an evil man and he will also bring that country a war that they dont want because of his hatred for others and his pursuence of nuclear weapons.

The bottom line is...There are to many countries out their right now that will not allow him to achieve his goals and will stop at nothing until he is either reigned in or eliminated. No matter who his allies are."To each his own gentlemen".
        Last edited by Dreadnought; 30 Jan 06,, 21:19.
        Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

The issue I have trouble is that nuclear weapons in Irans hands would somehow completely destabilize the entire world.
          I find it hypocritical that some countries reserve the right to build and use nuclear waepons and deny the same right to others.
          Ofcourse the people who have the weapons are going to bully others. If opinions of American posters on messageboards is any indication, the world would have been nuked thrice over. Thankfully they dont have their fingers on the nukes. Anyway, the fact remains that just having these waepons in your arsenal allows countries great coercive power.

Should Iran be allowed to have nukes? Why not? If countries run by dictators like Pakistan are allowed to have them and it hasnt destabilised the world, Why not Iran?

We can either ALL choose to have nuclear weapons or NONE at all. But if the mightiest of the superpowers still feels insecure enough to keep nuclear weapons, a country like Iran which feels threatened by the same superpower is certainly entitled to it.

If it were me, I would have supported Irans program, if not overtly then covertly. In the long run, a country like Iran free from foriegn manipulation would have been in India's interests, which is all that matters.
          Last edited by Vaman; 31 Jan 06,, 01:31.

Comment

Vaman, you are partly right. everyone has the right to develop nuclear weapons, its the choice they make.

For Iran, they have already signed NPT, which barrs them from developing nukes. That defn calls for some international measures.

After all, if a dictator or ruler of a country starts killing his own people, we (the world) dont sit and watch them die. So Iran's acquisition of nukes is also viewed in the same manner, the threats it issues against Israel itself is enough to stop them developing nukes.
            A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

Should Iran be allowed to have nukes? Why not? If countries run by dictators like Pakistan are allowed to have them and it hasnt destabilised the world, Why not Iran?

When was the last time you saw a country leader call for the inillation of another country much less a race of people over religious edicts? And you still want this man to achieve a nuclear weapon?

Then Why dont we just hand one over to Al-Q or Hezbollah? It would be the very same result as allowing this man and his country to build one.
              Last edited by Dreadnought; 31 Jan 06,, 15:05.

Comment

India is against Iran becoming a nuclear power.

Comment

Originally posted by Samudra
                  India is against Iran becoming a nuclear power.
                  No it is not. It is none of our or anybody else's business.
                  "Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except all those others that have been tried from time to time. "

"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed."

Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Jay
                    For Iran, they have already signed NPT, which barrs them from developing nukes. That defn calls for some international measures.

After all, if a dictator or ruler of a country starts killing his own people, we (the world) dont sit and watch them die. So Iran's acquisition of nukes is also viewed in the same manner, the threats it issues against Israel itself is enough to stop them developing nukes.
                    To me NPT has aas much value as the kyoto protocol. US has taught me of a new way to look at international treaties and organisations. IF you run out of TP they always come in handy. ;)
                    "Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except all those others that have been tried from time to time. "

Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Monk
                      No it is not. It is none of our or anybody else's business.
                      They have signed the NPT and they should abide by it.

Comment

Originally posted by Samudra
                        They have signed the NPT and they should abide by it.
                        Who are we to say that? Any country has the right to do anything they bloody well please. This holds good for the USA wrt the kyoto protocol or to Iran wrt the NPT.

Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Who are we to say that? Any country has the right to do anything they bloody well please. This holds good for the USA wrt the kyoto protocol or to Iran wrt the NPT.
                          That is true Monk but the NPT is much more important on the mind of the world as of this moment then the Kyoto protocol. Iran signed the NPT where as the U.S. did not sign the Kyoto protocol if I can remember. And by Iran not being held accountable for its actions only invites other signers of the NPT to do the very same. Making the world even more dangerous to the idea of extremeists getting their hands on a nuclear weapon and blackmailing a country or destroying what they wish. That cannot be allowed to happen to any country wether we like them or not.
                          Last edited by Dreadnought; 31 Jan 06,, 20:12.

Comment

WHats the big deal about, the Americans trashed the Kyoto protocol, The Russians seem happy to violate almost any international convention, Chinese are the masters of this. Pakistan well its dealings with North Korea, China & the A Q Khan affair is a smack in the face for the countries like UK & US for they still haven't dealt properly with this matter.

I guess what diff it makes if India joins the club. Hell since when were politics a neat and a clean game.

Comment

Originally posted by Gautam
                              WHats the big deal about, the Americans trashed the Kyoto protocol, The Russians seem happy to violate almost any international convention, Chinese are the masters of this. Pakistan well its dealings with North Korea, China & the A Q Khan affair is a smack in the face for the countries like UK & US for they still haven't dealt properly with this matter.

I guess what diff it makes if India joins the club. Hell since when were politics a neat and a clean game.
                              The big deal would be if one of these weapons being made by them became "missing" and then turned up in your major city and detonated because somebody dont like your country or your religions very existence because some jackass said you should be whiped off the map. To me thats quite a big deal when you consider the number of lives involved as well as the destruction it would cause nevermind the "domino" effect it could cause in reprisals. Just ask yourself if life would even be worth living in the aftermath if it happened in your own country? I dont think any of us wants to see that happen. Ever.
                              Last edited by Dreadnought; 31 Jan 06,, 20:23.

Comment

The difference is that the US did not sign the Kyoto Protocals.

Comment

Working...
                                X