Asbestos on the Iowa-class?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asbestos on the Iowa-class?

Since the Iowas were constructed in an era where asbestos was used on everything from battleships to baby cradles, I'm wondering how much of that crap is still on the 4 ships today. Anybody got some good info?
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Originally posted by TopHatter
    Since the Iowas were constructed in an era where asbestos was used on everything from battleships to baby cradles, I'm wondering how much of that crap is still on the 4 ships today. Anybody got some good info?
    Oh yeah. We removed tons of asbestos insulation from steam piping during reactivation and modernization. But ONLY what was necessary to do the modifications necessary. Lot's of steam piping still has asbestos insulation on it.

However, asbestos actually is totally HARMLESS until you cut it with a knife or scissors. The dust of asbestos particles is what gets into your lungs and sometimes stays there. Therefore we have very strict procedures of how to remove old asbestos such as totally sealing off the area with plastic sheeting and rerouting banners, using water over the cut areas to keep the dust from becoming airborne, laggers (insulation mechanics) totally dressed in non-permeable suits with air masks connected to outside air supply, double bagging asbestos in specially marked plastic bags and then shipping to an appropriate disposal site.

If I ever get my book on the shipyard published, read the chapter on HAZMAT. I include verbatum interviews with a friend of mine who had to do that dirty job. The greatest hazard was probably when some dimwit topside turned off the air to your masks so he could hook up an air-powered tool.

Those were the days. It's a wonder some of us are still alive.
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

BTW, a "Lagger" is someone who puts up insulation without really knowing what they're doing. It's not a good term for a skilled person. It ranks right up there with calling HT's "turd chasers."

Comment

Originally posted by RAL's_pal?
        BTW, a "Lagger" is someone who puts up insulation without really knowing what they're doing. It's not a good term for a skilled person. It ranks right up there with calling HT's "turd chasers."
        Thanks for the information. You sound like a man with experience at insulation.

For that matter, you sound like a dyed in the wool yardbird....
        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Ok, this is now the 5th post on the subject so it takes this subject out of the "Very Pathetic Idea for a post" and puts it in the "I should never post on this subject in the future" catagory.

Comment

Ok, this is now the 5th post on the subject so it takes this subject out of the "Very Pathetic Idea for a post" and puts it in the "I should never post on this subject in the future" catagory.
            Wow....such hostility towards my humble little thread.

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter
              Wow....such hostility towards my humble little thread.
              I'm beginning to think that somebody's fixed the board to broadcast invisible but irritating light waves out of our monitors. Grumpiness, flaming and shyt fights abound...
              In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by parihaka
                I'm beginning to think that somebody's fixed the board to broadcast invisible but irritating light waves out of our monitors. Grumpiness, flaming and shyt fights abound...
                I don't know about the last 2 items, but you hit the nail on the head with "grumpiness" in this case.

"Curmudgeonly" also comes to mind for some reason....

Comment

I'm sure asbestos has applications in many ships commercial and military - from piping insulation to false ceilings and partition walls mounted on the bridge, engine-room and control rooms to cabins and the ship's saloon.

Comment

Congrats to HatTopper for pulling in 2 fresh faces into the thread. Asbestos hasn't been legally installed on Naval Ships since the late 1970's. Old floor tiles also contain asbestos but it's considered non-friable because it's bonded. Of course you take a sailor or yardbird with a grinder and put him on the tiles and you have a different story.... Heck at this rate, ClogStomper may get over 100 views on this dead thread.

Comment

Congrats to HatTopper for pulling in 2 fresh faces into the thread. Asbestos hasn't been legally installed on Naval Ships since the late 1970's. Old floor tiles also contain asbestos but it's considered non-friable because it's bonded. Of course you take a sailor or yardbird with a grinder and put him on the tiles and you have a different story.... Heck at this rate, ClogStomper may get over 100 views on this dead thread.
                      It is an important thread to review. It is surprising how many people don't know the hazards of asbestos or what parts of their homes or office buildings still contain it. Some old municipal piping was made of asbestos. You can recognize it because it looks like cement but is ribbed like a worm gear. Some was dug up next to my house when the city was digging deep holes in the street for something. I acquired an asbestos danger sign from bldg 300, staked it in the dirt pile and hung the broken pieces of pipe in a plastic bag (school kids walking by were throwing the pieces to see them break). The sign and bag disappeared the next day. Two days after that, the sign reappeared but without the bag. So the city workers apparently had the pipe shards checked out and confirmed they did contain asbestos.

Comment

Not to mention the recent uproar over sending French Carrier to India as the carrier still had lots of asbestos and its a environmental disaster if its indeed broken in India.

Rustybattleship,
                        I honestly dont think Indian workers have the equipement and time to follow the way you described to handle asbestos. People still use asbestos in India for their homes.
                        A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

Originally posted by Jay
                          Not to mention the recent uproar over sending French Carrier to India as the carrier still had lots of asbestos and its a environmental disaster if its indeed broken in India.

Rustybattleship,
                          I honestly dont think Indian workers have the equipement and time to follow the way you described to handle asbestos. People still use asbestos in India for their homes.
                          Unfortunately you are probably 100% correct. India (as well as many other countries) does not have OSHA type strict regulations. Probably not even Workmen's Comp.

All we can do is offer to provide them with the procedures and what type of equipment should be used. Whether they want to follow those procedures or buy the protective clothing, air masks, air hoses, etc. or not is strictly up to them.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship
                            Unfortunately you are probably 100% correct. India (as well as many other countries) does not have OSHA type strict regulations. Probably not even Workmen's Comp.

All we can do is offer to provide them with the procedures and what type of equipment should be used. Whether they want to follow those procedures or buy the protective clothing, air masks, air hoses, etc. or not is strictly up to them.
                            The carrier was the Clemenceau correct?

I see alot of pics of India's shipbreaking yards (beaches really) and cant believe the atomosphere the people work in. Its a shame there should be standards enforced for their very own protection. Hopefully somebody will do something to improve their working conditions/benefits.
                            Last edited by Dreadnought; 13 Feb 06,, 18:57.
                            Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Right now the Supreme court has asked the DoD to have a panel and asses the situation. Their verdict would be final, and I think Clemencau will be heading back to China, Pakistan or Bangladesh.

Meanwhile France has agreed to take all the asbestos removed from the ship.
                              A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

Working...
                              X