No announcement yet.

Asbestos on the Iowa-class?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In late 1990 to early 1991 we spent many nights on the New Jersey removing asbestos on graveyard shift. I never noticed any strange occurances. I guess even ghosts don't want to risk getting asbestosis.......

Comment

Nightstalker, heh, i loved that show.

"Kolchak!!!!!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by RAL's_pal?
        In late 1990 to early 1991 we spent many nights on the New Jersey removing asbestos on graveyard shift. I never noticed any strange occurances. I guess even ghosts don't want to risk getting asbestosis.......
        Right. Even the ghosts were smarter than us "living" humans.
        Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

At the time the ship was going through it's decommissioning procedures so the ship was competely empty at night and a lot of compartments were either sealed up or unlit. When the ex USS Parsons was brought in, in the mid to late 80's to have a superheater header taken out, the ship must have just been in safe storage because everything was really dirty and rusty. We tried walking around with flashlights before shop 99 came in to hook up utilities, and we stirred up rodents (most likely).

Comment

Just before the decommissioned Hornet was to be towed out, 2 men from bldg 300 were doing a final close out check. Burt Goldberg from code 244 and Kenneth (Tiny) Miller (all 6-foot 6-inches of him) from code 260 were doing this mundane task. Lunchtime came along and everybody else left the ship leaving just Burt and Tiny.

Then they started hearing the strange sounds. Didn't bother Tiny a bit but he started to tease Burt about the sounds being those of former crewmen whose spirits stayed with the ship.

Burt panicked and said, "Let's get the hell out of here".

I thought this may have been a joke Tiny told me one day while we were on a target range (when the gun club was still active). A few years later Burt and I were in San Diego checking out a FFG 7 class ship and I asked him about that experience aboard the Hornet and if it was true. He said, "Hell yes. I will NEVER go aboard a decommissioned ship again alone. That was the spookiest and scariest time of my life."

And it wasn't even Halloween.

Comment

Was this visitation on the Hornet in the 70's or when it was on Pier 9 during 1993-4?

Comment

A few years ago we after we built our new house, my little sister kept hearing noises in her room at night. It got so bad that one night my father shooed her out of the room and slept there herself. Next morning he came out looking rather annoyed, apparently the was the steel settling.
                "Any relations in a social order will endure if there is infused into them some of that spirit of human sympathy, which qualifies life for immortality." ~ George William Russell

Comment

Originally posted by RAL's_pal?
                  Was this visitation on the Hornet in the 70's or when it was on Pier 9 during 1993-4?
                  I don't recall the exact date but it was right after she was decommissioned and waiting to be towed.

But it could have been any "abandoned" ship and Burt would have gone bananas. When he confirmed the story to me personally, he almost lost his lower plate remembering that day.

Comment

Working...
                  X