BB trivia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zraver View Post
    Other ships and even battlewagons were present but these two ships eithe ronly took fire from each other during the engagement, although one ship had just disabled another vessel it did not take any damage in the first exchange.
    The USS South Dakota was receiving devastating fire from the IJN Karishima. South Dakota could not effectively fire back because of the main electrical buss bars for her turret power kept kicking open.

So the USS Washington made an end run and came up with Karishima perfectly silouhetted against the fires of SD and other ships in the battles and at nearly point blank range laid in broadsides. From both sides of the ship with all main and secondary batteries.

I met a man a few years ago who built a beautiful 1:96 scale model of Washington (I was fortunate enough to find the boat and airplane crane plans for him so it was made out of photo-etched brass). He was also a gunners-mate aboard Washington then in a 5"/38 mount and he said the Captain deliberately turned the ship so secondary mounts from BOTH sides could have credit for bringing down a Japanese Battleship with (for all practical purposes) no help from any other ship.
    Last edited by RustyBattleship; 24 Oct 06,, 05:35.
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

As a born Husky and Seattle native (now living in Arkansas) I am proud of the Rusty W, her crew and Adm Lee.

Comment

Ah, that explains it. That was the battle that first came to mind, but I knew that both the South Dakota and Washington were fighting the Kirishima, so I thought that couldn't be it. One battle that always impressed me was the battle where a bunch of destroyers and light cruisers raped a Japanese battleship from close range. The name of the battle is on the tip of my tongue, but I can't remember it. The one with the Atlanta and the Sullivan brothers.
        I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmchairGeneral View Post
          Ah, that explains it. That was the battle that first came to mind, but I knew that both the South Dakota and Washington were fighting the Kirishima, so I thought that couldn't be it. One battle that always impressed me was the battle where a bunch of destroyers and light cruisers raped a Japanese battleship from close range. The name of the battle is on the tip of my tongue, but I can't remember it. The one with the Atlanta and the Sullivan brothers.
          Ummm, between "cruisers" and "a Japanese battleship" I think your right little finger meant to tap a "k" instead of a "P".

And the Sullivan brothers were all aboard the USS Juneau, not the Atlanta.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
            Ummm, between "cruisers" and "a Japanese battleship" I think your right little finger meant to tap a "k" instead of a "P".
            LOL. Actually, I thought about typing that, but eventually decided on the more colorful term.

And the Sullivan brothers were all aboard the USS Juneau, not the Atlanta.
            Okay. Didn't really know where they were, but I remembered that the Atlanta was involved in the fight. Looked it up. First Naval Battle of Guadalcanal.
            I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

BB Trivia

BB 62 Trivia

What 16" gun never fired during last commisioning and why?

Comment

Iowa Trivia

What 16" gun exploded?

Comment

Connect the dots

If you know the answer to BB62 Trivia and Iowa connect the dots>>>

Comment

Originally posted by fralston View Post
                    What 16" gun never fired during last commisioning and why?
                    You are probably thinking of the Center Barrel of Turret II (why is it ALWAYS that barrel and turret?) that had an erosion pit several inches long in the liner.

The reason that barrel was so worn out was that it was that gun that was always used as the first round spotting gun during Korea and Viet Nam. Quite often the first round was all that was needed so it got a lot more use than the other 8 guns.

HOWEVER, her non-firing quarantine lasted less than five years. When NJ was brought back to LBNSY for her overhaul (delayed 2 years because of Lebanon) we put a new gun barrel in her. It was transported down from Hawthorne, Nevada on a flat car that was not quite rated for that 118 ton load. Ruined the bearings.

The new barrel was then brought on line and The Big "J" could fire full 9 gun salvos after that.

Comment

What 16" gun exploded?
                      Again, there was a problem with the center gun of Turret II (ala Mississippi, Newport News, etc.). The gun didn't actually explode and structurally it is perfectly intact. The five bags of propellent ignited while the breach was still open and the defagration sent a fireball down through the turret, igniting other powder bags and killing 47 crewmen.

The worst structural damage was in the center powder hoist. The hoist car is still jammed up near the top and the hoist trunk in the lower powder handling room is bulged out quite a bit. Repairs were started on it and you can still see the layout marking on the hoist trunk for removal and replacement.

As for having all replacement parts on board as was rumored, they are not. All we found was a 4-foot high pile of boxes in the powder magazine of nuts, bolts, washers, etc. marked for turret repair. But no range finder, fan motors, etc. Our NAVSEA "guard" (wanted to make sure we didn't damage anything) even took a fire axe to some wooden crates to see what was inside of them.

The above is based upon inspections made by myself and my special team of Battleship experts up in Benicia, California during mid-August and the first week of October.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                        Quite often the first round was all that was needed so it got a lot more use than the other 8 guns.
                        But Dick, are you saying the Iowa's guns were highly accurate?

Because a couple well known posters on this forum say that's simply not the case...

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper View Post
                          But Dick, are you saying the Iowa's guns were highly accurate?

Because a couple well known posters on this forum say that's simply not the case...

The 16"/50 Mk 7 Mod 0 guns were perhaps the most accurate artillery pieces ever built. This was a surprise as they were designed as a lightweight gun but was selected to meet London Treaty ship displacement restrictions. It turned out to be more accurate than any heavier model tested and its lighter weight allowed the hydraulics and gearing to elevate and traverse more quickly (not as much mass to overcome).

Please do not believe or even quote inaccuracy "reports" from the left-wing Washington Star. They're full of bull pucky and were always anti-Battleship.

Having friends and neighbors who were gun captains on a couple of the BBs, I found out that many of the so-called "misses" in Lebanon were actually perfectly on target. The problem was that we were politically ordered NOT to make direct hits. We were only supposed to scare the enemy and not "neutralize" him like we used to in the 40's.

Thinking of how politically controlled (besides economically) our military is today is why I have to take little blue pills at bedtime.

Comment

To Snipe. I think I just realized what part of my first posting you are referring to and that was about the FIRST round was often all that was needed. Sorry, my coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

What I meant to say was that ONLY the SPOTTING rounds were all that was needed.

First round bullseyes at 10 to 15 miles with the first shot is always iffy with any ballistic weapon. A lot depends upon the accuracy of target location by the spotter. You know the drill; "One over, one under, fire for effect." Quite often that 2nd or 3rd round was the zinger but still were fired only from the center barrel of Turret II.

Comment

If you know the answer to BB62 Trivia and Iowa connect the dots>>>
                              Dots already connected between center guns of Turret II on Iowa, New Jersey, Mississippi and Newport News.

Comment

Dick, i have no problems with what you're saying, i was merely commenting on the fact that many posters at this site have gone to GREAT LENGTHS to cast the Mk7 16" and Iowas as innaccurate, obsolete junk.

Personally, i think said individuals are on crack, but i digress... ;)

Comment

Working...
                                X