Attacks on Homeless Men

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attacks on Homeless Men

What the hell is wrong with these two kids? What on earth would go wrong inside their heads that they would think it was a good idea to go out and kill a homeless man and try to kill two more? I wonder how they explained this to their parents? How on earth do you tell your parents what you did and that you are the person the police are looking for? Now how do these parents go out and face the world knowing that their kids murdered someone, a homeless someone at that, while he slept? All the parents that are "disgraced" because their teenage daughter ended up pregnant -count your blessings. More and more of todays youth are screwing their lives up before they are even adults.

17 and 18 years old and murderers.

:THL shakes her head in disgust:

From Friday:
    Rampaging Fla. Youths Beat Homeless Men, Killing One
    Friday, January 13, 2006

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — Police are searching for a group of men who investigators say targeted sleeping homeless men in a pre-dawn beating spree. One homeless man died, and one of the attacks was caught on a university surveillance video.

The attackers — described as a group of two to four young white males — will face murder charges, police said.

"It's senseless. If you look at these kids, it was almost like it was fun and games for them," said Fort Lauderdale Police Officer Scott Russell. "It looked like they were laughing and finding great joy in what they were doing, which made it more horrific."

Norris Gaynor, 45, died shortly after 8 a.m. Thursday from his injuries at Broward General Medical Center, police said. The two other homeless men were listed in serious condition at the hospital. They have not been identified.

The video shows two men chasing and beating one homeless man, who had been sleeping on a bench shortly after 1 a.m. Thursday near Florida Atlantic University, with what appear to be baseball bats.

"It looked like they were going for the head," said Fort Lauderdale police detective Katherine Collins.

The homeless man found a security guard who called 911, and the 58-year-old man was taken by paramedics to Broward General Medical Center with head trauma and defensive fractures, authorities said.

The scene was chillingly similar to the two beatings that followed early Thursday near the Broward Center for Performing Arts and a church, investigators said.

Gaynor was sleeping around 2:30 a.m. on a secluded park bench near the performing arts center before he was attacked, police said.

A third homeless man flagged down a fire crew passing a church 3 miles away from the performing arts building just after 4 a.m., authorities said.

"He claims that while sleeping he was attacked," said Assistant Chief Stephen McInerny with Fort Lauderdale Fire-Rescue.

Authorities are urging anyone with information to call Crime Stoppers at 954-493-8477.

Fort Lauderdale police and homeless advocates on Thursday distributed fliers about the beatings and warned people to sleep in well-lit, busy locations if they can't reach a shelter.

"We wanted to make sure that if they knew of people being beaten, or had seen the suspects out on the street, that the detectives on the case had the information," Officer Jamie Costas said.

According to the Washington-based National Coalition for the Homeless, 386 homeless individuals have been attacked nationwide since 1999, resulting in 156 deaths.

Four teenagers pleaded guilty last month to fatally beating a 53-year-old homeless man in Daytona Beach in May. They will be sentenced Feb. 21. A fifth teen still faces still faces an aggravated battery charge and is free on $50,000 bail.
    Homeless Man Beating Friday January 13
    From this morning:
    Two Teens Surrender in Homeless Beatings
    Monday, January 16, 2006

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — Two South Florida teens suspected in the beatings of three homeless men turned themselves in to police Sunday, authorities said.

Family attorneys negotiated the surrender of Brian Hooks, 18, and Thomas S. Daugherty, 17.

They will face murder charges in the death of Norris Gaynor and aggravated battery charges in the videotaped beating of Jacques Pierre, said Capt. Michael Gregory of the Fort Lauderdale police.

They also are suspects in the beating of a third man, Raymond Perez, 49, whose case remains under investigation, Gregory said.

The teens were in police custody pending official charges from a grand jury, Gregory said. Police also were investigating whether the two may have been involved in other beatings and if they had accomplices.

"We do know there have been other assaults of homeless in Fort Lauderdale," Gregory said.

Names of the teens' attorneys were not immediately available.

Pierre, 58, was beaten on the Fort Lauderdale campus of Florida Atlantic University. Gaynor, 45, was killed a few blocks away, and Perez, 49, was beaten in a Church-by-the-Sea garden.
    It was not clear if Perez and Pierre remained hospitalized Sunday.
    Homeless Man Beating Monday January 16
    Attached Files
    "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

I wonder if they were habitual drug users. Deeply disgusting though.

Comment

Give 'em the needle.

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by Karthik

I wonder if they were habitual drug users. Deeply disgusting though.
        The kids or the homeless men?

In either case I am not quite understanding why this story would make you wonder that.
        "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatsLiberal
          What the hell is wrong with these two kids? What on earth would go wrong inside their heads that they would think it was a good idea to go out and kill a homeless man and try to kill two more? I wonder how they explained this to their parents? How on earth do you tell your parents what you did and that you are the person the police are looking for? Now how do these parents go out and face the world knowing that their kids murdered someone, a homeless someone at that, while he slept? All the parents that are "disgraced" because their teenage daughter ended up pregnant -count your blessings. More and more of todays youth are screwing their lives up before they are even adults.

17 and 18 years old and murderers.

:THL shakes her head in disgust:
          Oh you know that the parents will go on the news, say those kids really aren't bad people, and they don't see how they were capable of doing this. That old standby.

And just in case a situation arises where someone might say that about me. Let me say in advance:

I was capable of doing this to (insert name here) because he broke in or was doing somehting else he shouldn't have been doing, didn't luck out this time, and I chose to give rather than receive.

Comment

I know many kids in my school who'd think that was funny.

Comment

Originally posted by giggs88
              I know many kids in my school who'd think that was funny.
              Same here, well here the cops arrest any homeless people they find. Yes, they cant help the fact that they lost their job, couldent pay their bills, etc but they often harrass people and illegally squat on private land.

A few years ago the state park police evicted 50 people from a "homeless city" in a state park. I have also heard that in like LA and Southern CA that they have "homeless cities" with hundreds of residents.

Comment

Working...
              X