US Army Divisions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
    I suggest that you go to a military funeral first before spouting off about dying with glory. There is no such thing. More than that, I suggest you both look at a real corspe.
    I said nothing about dying for glory and all that jazz, I said I'd rather get shot than hit by a bus. And I have seen a real corpse or atleast what was left of him.

What I intended my statement to mean was that I can see his side of the fence (though I did say WARPED thinking, which means that I didn't agree with the simplicity in which he stated a complex issue), and that you cannot. I think I can see your side as well, having responsibilty over a group of people leads one to become very protective of them (somewhat remniscent of a father or mother, and IMO a sign of a very good officer) as such when someone speaks of emulating one of your "kids", except with the cavit of wanting to die as one, I can see why you would want to show them that they are wrong.

For me I believe when its your time to go its your time to go, and no amount of running is going to keep you alive, however that doesn't mean I had any plans to stand on a boulder in the middle of a firefight one handing an M-60.... no need to let He above think I'm ready to go.

Edit: I'm going to put this in also, I'm not going to get into a big discussion over the merits or demerits of what BUFF stated because I don't feel my writing and word skills are up to the task of properly expressing what my feelings and thoughts are.
    Your look more lost than a bastard child on fathers day.

Comment

What I believe BUFF to be trying to express is this:

IF there was no inevitability about it, his preferred means of exit from this world would be having raised arms against the enemy, protecting either his comrades' lives and safety or that of his country's, or both.

He's NOT saying that he wishes he could go out into a hostile area and have some jackass pig-stick him with a bayonet just to ensure that his parents get sent a Purple Heart and a nice letter.

Especially for those of you here that are either currently active or have been in the past, and even MORE especially for those of the aforementioned group that saw action, you have my condolences and sympathy. I know not what you've seen, done, or had to live through, or what memories must plague your dreams and lives.

However, the emotions I've seen expressed in just THIS thread are a bit strong, and I don't think they were understood by BUFF (for age and experience reasons), yet on the flipside I don't think his message was entirely expressed with clarity.

Not that many people "want" to die, that's absurd. He was simply saying that he admires the glory and honor that is bestowed upon the fallen heroes that our country has had countless numbers of. NOT that he sees glory IN death, but that he'd rather have that than simply a small, forgotten funeral after dying from "natural causes" or the like.

I could be off, but that's my interpretation.

Hope it helps clarify for some of you.
      I never understood "fire for effect". I thought the firing WAS the effect...

Comment

Yes frogger, and stinger you have it both down.

Comment

Working...
        X