Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like we are colonels orderly for the day.
    Facts to a liberal is like Kryptonite to Superman.

-- Larry Elder

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post

Okay here's your question.

How many tracks shoes were on the each side of an M113A2/M125A2? And why the were the different?
      If my old Tamaya model was correct then there are 63 left side and 64 right side. Reason? I don't know but the M-109 series was the same. Does it have something to do with the idler arm?

Comment

Good Enough Gun Grape

64 & 63 R/L

The reason? Idler arm? Almost...it was the way that torsion bars were set up based on the powerpack being slightly offset to the right. The right side had a farther forward and farther back tgorsion bars which required an extra track shoe on that side.

I remember one young soldier telling me the the answer was 64 and 65...with the extra on the LEFT side...because that is where the extra track shoes were bolted on to the hull. Instant colonel's orderly!!

And yes Gun Grape, same for the M106 and M577

Okay, its all yours
        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
        Mark Twain

Comment

An easy one

What do the letters of the acronym SAM stand for? And what is SAM used for?

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
            An easy one

What do the letters of the acronym SAM stand for? And what is SAM used for?
            Surface to Air Missile. Used to missile hostile objects in the air from the surface.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
              Surface to Air Missile. Used to missile hostile objects in the air from the surface.
              No.
              That is an abbreviation. But SAM does have to do with shooting

Comment

No.
                I see you edited your post, I was just going to ask what the army did need the SAM truck for.

Comment

small arms markmanship?
                  "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by omon View Post
                    small arms markmanship?
                    No.

Hint: the S stands for Subtract

Comment

No.
                      Bit of a nitpick, but acronyms are abbreviations, and SAM is an acronym for Surface to Air Missile.

Originally posted by Wikipedia
                      Acronyms and initialisms are abbreviations, such as NATO, laser, and IBM, that are formed using the initial letters of words or word parts in a phrase or name.
                      I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

It looks like SAM is starting to stand for Smart A$$ Marine!!
                        Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by ArmchairGeneral View Post
                          Bit of a nitpick, but acronyms are abbreviations, and SAM is an acronym for Surface to Air Missile.
                          OK, then he gets it.

I should have been more specific.

What I was looking for was the memory aid
                          Subtract the
                          Azimuth of fire from the
                          Measured azimuth.

Used for laying a mortar or howitzer using a compass.

Comment

Damn!!!

Just woke from a nap. Much unfairness. I know! Snooze, lose.

M-2 compass method to lay cannons. One deflection determined to the gun (usually base piece)using the above acronym. From there the command rings out,

M-2 Compass position"Base piece adjust! Aiming point, this instrument. Deflection 2905."

Base piece Reply- "Base Piece-Aiming point identified. Deflection 2905."

M-2 Compass position- "Base piece is laid. Btry adjust! Aiming point, base piece (#2, #3, etc)!

From their, the gun chiefs reciprocally lay their weapons to zero mils upon the azimuth which base piece is laid. Inherently inaccurate as the M-2 compass can be somewhat less than fully precise. Still, by laying the remainder of the weapons from base piece, it limits the inaccuracy to the initially sent deflection.

One of three school-taught alternate methods of lay. The other two shall remain unknown for now as shall the means conducted!;)

Albany Rifles has no excuse. Didn't you command a Combat Support Company back in your distant past, replete with 4.2" lovlies?:))
                            Last edited by S2; 04 Jan 08,, 06:14.
                            "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                            "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Csc

Actually, no. I had Weapons Platoon in a Mech Company...81mm Mortars and ITVs.

And it has been SOOOOO long sicne I used any of that. Not to mention had to go through Bradley NET as a company commander, so most of my mortar/arty knowledge had to leave to make room for the new stuff. It ain't easy bein ga grunt with a turret!

I still stick with what my choice for the acronym stands for!
                              Mark Twain

Comment

A.R. Reply

That's between the U.S.M.C. and you. I've got enough trouble bringing the Royal Armour Corps down on my head.
                                "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                                "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Working...
                                X