Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting reading here about the Iowa class and other naval matters. Some articles by Mr RustyBattleship. Some info about propellers, but not what is in this recent discussion.

Naval Technical Board

Comment

• Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
      It sort of puzzles me that (according to your research) that the Essex class Carriers did not have any five bladed propellers on them. Back in 1985 I was walking past our propeller balancing shop and the new propellers for the Missouri were sitting on some pallets waiting their tests. I wrote down their sizes, number of blades, weight and which shaft they would be attached to.

I also wrote down their serial numbers. Propeller 3, the 5 bladed inboard for the port twin keel, had a surprisingly different serial number (18570) whereas the other three had nearly consectutive numbers (5232, 5235 & 5237). But the 5-bladed prop also had the name ESSEX engraved in it.

So, if the Battleships had 5-bladed ESSEX class propellers, why didn't the Essex class Carriers also have them?
      The data on propellers I mentioned came from
      War Service Fuel Consumption of U.S. Naval Surface Vessels
      FTP 218
      UNITED STATES FLEET
      Headquarters of the Commander in Chief
      HyperWar: War Service Fuel Consumption of US Naval Surface Vessels (FTP 218)

BB 61 CLASS
      These data show a significant increase in RPM required to increase the speed of the ship.
      Up to 27 knots ther was a relatively linear increase of RPM for any speed - say about 6 RPM per knot
      from 28 to 29 knots the additional required RPM seems to be about 10 RPM and
      from 29 to 30 knots the RPM-number appears to be > 11 RPM.

These numbers show - in my opininion - a significant increase of cavitation.

If this tendency continues, the reqiured RPM for 32 knots could be in the order of 220 - 225 RPM.

Maybe there was a technical improvement of propellers, maybe they were optimised for higher speeds in the years between 1945 and the 1980 hull paint lowered flow resistance. But thats is, what I see from far away.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thoddy View Post
        The data on propellers I mentioned came from
        War Service Fuel Consumption of U.S. Naval Surface Vessels
        FTP 218
        UNITED STATES FLEET
        Headquarters of the Commander in Chief
        HyperWar: War Service Fuel Consumption of US Naval Surface Vessels (FTP 218)

BB 61 CLASS
        These data show a significant increase in RPM required to increase the speed of the ship.
        Up to 27 knots ther was a relatively linear increase of RPM for any speed - say about 6 RPM per knot
        from 28 to 29 knots the additional required RPM seems to be about 10 RPM and
        from 29 to 30 knots the RPM-number appears to be > 11 RPM.

These numbers show - in my opininion - a significant increase of cavitation.

If this tendency continues, the reqiured RPM for 32 knots could be in the order of 220 - 225 RPM.

Maybe there was a technical improvement of propellers, maybe they were optimised for higher speeds in the years between 1945 and the 1980 hull paint lowered flow resistance. But thats is, what I see from far away.
        You'll find the same sort of data applies to just about every steam powered ship of which I'm aware. It's always hard to get that extra few knots.

Comment

• Originally posted by desertswo View Post
          You'll find the same sort of data applies to just about every steam powered ship of which I'm aware. It's always hard to get that extra few knots.
          Just like a car engine or any engine. The first couple of dozen or hundred is easy but the last few horsepower can be tough, more expensive to obtain and have the engine running on the narrow edge

Comment

• I have a question about the black water pluming on the Iowa's. I know during the 1940's the toilet toffs would just be a continuous stream of sea water that would empty into the sea. Was that still the case during the re-activations in the 80's or were there more regulations on where ships can dump their "black water"?

Comment

• The CHT compartment, one of...

ps: this is on the Iowa
              Attached Files
              Last edited by tbm3fan; 08 Dec 14,, 20:51.

Comment

• Originally posted by Research View Post
                I have a question about the black water pluming on the Iowa's. I know during the 1940's the toilet toffs would just be a continuous stream of sea water that would empty into the sea. Was that still the case during the re-activations in the 80's or were there more regulations on where ships can dump their "black water"?
                You may not dump "effluent" over the side within three nautical miles of land. When entering or leaving port, you better hope you are in a place like San Diego, where the sea and anchor detail is about an hour max. If going up the Delaware to Philly, you will be crossing your legs for 11 hours.

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                  The CHT compartment, one of...
                  Guess who gets to inspect the CHT machinery and piping every day? Our friend, the XO. He is required to do the vaunted "paper towel test" wherein a paper towel is rubbed across all seals and fittings. "If it's brown, shut it down" applies.

Comment

• I have some very, very good news about the aft CHT tanks on the Iowa.

We have completed splitting the aft crews head on Main deck into Women's on the port side and Men's on the Starboard side.

We have installed 36-inch wide no-sill watertight (Buships design) doors on each side.

We have cleaned the CHT tanks, installed the pumps, installed the piping, sealed all the leaks and flushed our first water closet (toilet to you land lubbers) yesterday.

Still a bit of painting touch-up to be done and deck cleaning and we are open for "business". No more running off the ship for the porta-potties, which by the way most have been hauled away since we now have permanent men's and women's heads on the pier south of the ticket office.

We have the most fantastic crew and volunteers I have seen since we reactivated and modernized those 4 ships in the 1980's.

To my fellow crewmates of the Battleship Iowa (BB-61) --- WELL DONE.
                    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

I have some very, very good news about the aft CHT tanks on the Iowa.

We have completed splitting the aft crews head on Main deck into Women's on the port side and Men's on the Starboard side.

We have installed 36-inch wide no-sill watertight (Buships design) doors on each side.

We have cleaned the CHT tanks, installed the pumps, installed the piping, sealed all the leaks and flushed our first water closet (toilet to you land lubbers) yesterday.

Still a bit of painting touch-up to be done and deck cleaning and we are open for "business". No more running off the ship for the porta-potties, which by the way most have been hauled away since we now have permanent men's and women's heads on the pier south of the ticket office.

We have the most fantastic crew and volunteers I have seen since we reactivated and modernized those 4 ships in the 1980's.

So true Rusty, it was a yeomen's effort to get the heads working and just in time for the opening of the "Camp Battleship" youth overnight program this Saturday night I am personally looking forward to spending my first night on the Iowa.
                      We hope that in a year or two we can double our ticket revenue with this program.
                      We are accepting reservations NOW!!! so please tell any youth groups you know, we can use all the help we can getting the word out.

Thanks

Camp Battleship | Battleship IOWA Overnight Program
                      Craig Johnson

Comment

• Originally posted by desertswo View Post
                        Guess who gets to inspect the CHT machinery and piping every day? Our friend, the XO. He is required to do the vaunted "paper towel test" wherein a paper towel is rubbed across all seals and fittings. "If it's brown, shut it down" applies.
                        And then there is the Jarhead test

Attached Files

Comment

I have some very, very good news about the aft CHT tanks on the Iowa.

Where's the picture? Didn't you stick your head in to see how nice and shiny?

No picture, it didn't happen as they say.

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                            Where's the picture? Didn't you stick your head in to see how nice and shiny?

No picture, it didn't happen as they say.
                            Too hard to get me down there lately. On the 18th of this month I'm scheduled to have some more "Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers" pumped into my lower spine. Hopefully it will give me some strength back to my left knee joint. Otherwise I have to use a cane to go up and down steps or even sidewalk curbs. Also will be getting a second heart stent in early January. My cardiologist can't believe I was still alive with 3 of my 4 heart arteries blocked (one of them 100%).

Never felt any pains or anything. I guess my German/Irish/Welsh/Ukranian stubborness just ignored any pains (like Vulcans do on Star Trek).

But I am definitely stubborn. I spent over 4 hours on the ship Sunday for the Pearl Harbor rememberance ceremony. Took me 3 times as long to walk up from the after brow to Turret I using a cane (still some chunks of decking missing), but I was there and proud to meet the two Pearl Harbor survivors we honored that day.

Not too bad for a guy who's supposed to be dead.
                            Last edited by RustyBattleship; 10 Dec 14,, 05:20. Reason: correcting spelling
                            Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

• OK. I guess you have a fair excuse but don't you have a gofer? Captains have Lieutenants/XOs.

Comment

Too hard to get me down there lately. On the 18th of this month I'm scheduled to have some more "Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers" pumped into my lower spine. Hopefully it will give me some strength back to my left knee joint. Otherwise I have to use a cane to go up and down steps or even sidewalk curbs. Also will be getting a second heart stent in early January. My cardiologist can't believe I was still alive with 3 of my 4 heart arteries blocked (one of them 100%).

Never felt any pains or anything. I guess my German/Irish/Welsh/Ukranian stubborness just ignored any pains (like Vulcans do on Star Trek).

But I am definitely stubborn. I spent over 4 hours on the ship Sunday for the Pearl Harbor rememberance ceremony. Took me 3 times as long to walk up from the after brow to Turret I using a cane (still some chunks of decking missing), but I was there and proud to meet the two Pearl Harbor survivors we honored that day.

Not too bad for a guy who's supposed to be dead.
                                Rusty, first of all, take care of yourself, because that's what really matters. Secondly, how "early" is early January. I still have plans to drive up from San Diego over the holidays to take a look at that shaft seal. Let me know what's up and I'll adjust fire accordingly.

Comment

Working...
                                X