Tiki Tiki!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
    Actually, having seen Bluesman's pictures scattered all over the Bluesmansion, I've always thought that the squared-away version looked a bit like a younger R. Lee Ermey.
    Hmmmmmm- Bluesman is a handsome fellow then:)
    Welcome, you step into a forum of the flash bang, chew toy hell, and shove it down your throat brutal honesty. OoE

Comment

• Originally posted by Debbie View Post
      Hmmmmmm- Bluesman is a handsome fellow then:)
      Here are some pictures TopHatter posted of Bluesman, himself and Confed from April 2006 when we all got together down there in Tampa.
      "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

• Yep - my assumption was correct.
        Welcome, you step into a forum of the flash bang, chew toy hell, and shove it down your throat brutal honesty. OoE

Comment

• Originally posted by Debbie View Post
          Yep - my assumption was correct.
          Eyes front Debbie;)

Comment

• HAH!

Thanks, I appreciate the compliment.

I've been thinking some more about my style, and I remember when I was stationed in Germany, and I was the Senior Intelligence Analyst for one of the four flights (or 'sections' to the Army; 'divisions' to the Navy; 'tricks' to the NSA civilians). My wife was shopping in the commissary, and one of my guys was talking to her, and I came up in the conversation.

She came home and asked just what the hell I'd been doing to those poor kids?!? HUH?!? I had no idea what she meant, but apparently from what she'd gathered from one of my guys - she never told me who it was, as she was afraid I'd 'tune him up' - I was coming off as some rough, heavy-handed, martinet of a blood-drinking cossack SOB.

Okay. I guess I better examine what I'd been doing, and how I'd been doing it, because I CERTAINLY didn't perceive myself that way.

The problem was very simple: I HAVE STANDARDS, and I rigorously enforce them. After all, once you get past training, the majority of an NCO's job is enforcing standards and executing policy. Well, I took the responsibility seriously, and I insisted that my people not be found wanting in the simple things that make the hard things possible: customs and courtesies, wear of the uniform, punctuality, and the NCO Creed:

No one is more professional than I. I am a Noncommissioned Officer: a leader of people. I am proud of the Noncommissioned Office corps and will, at all times, conduct myself so as to bring credit upon it. I will not use my grade or position to attain profit or safety.

Competence is my watchword. I will strive to remain tactically and technically proficient. I will always be aware of my role as a Noncommissioned Officer. I will
            fulfill my responsibilities and display professionalism at all times. I will strive to know my people and use their skills to the maximum degree possible. I will always place their needs above my own and will communicate with my supervisor and my people and never leave them uniformed.

I will exert every effort and risk any ridicule to successfully accomplish my assigned duties. I will not look at a person and see any race, creed, color, religion, sex,
            age, or national origin, for I will only see the person; nor will I ever show prejudice or bias. I will lead by example and will resort to disciplinary action only when necessary.

I will carry out the orders of my superiors to the best of ability and will always obey the decisions of my superiors. I will give all officers my maximum support to ensure
            mission accomplishments. I will earn their respect, obey their orders, and establish a high degree of integrity with them. I will exercise initiative in the absence of orders
            and will make decisive and accurate decisions. I will never compromise my integrity, nor my moral courage. I will not forget that I am a Professional, a Leader, but above all a

Noncommissioned Officer
            Sorry; this thread is now WAY off the 'tiki tiki' path. But hey...I wanted to kinda 'splain what I'm all about. I don't think the WABbers who haven't met me 'get' me.

Comment

• Sorry; this thread is now WAY off the 'tiki tiki' path. But hey...I wanted to kinda 'splain what I'm all about. I don't think the WABbers who haven't met me 'get' me.
              No apologies asked for or required. Carry on Master Sargent.
              Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
              (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

• Blue What happened to the Beard?:) ....Did you ever have the inclination to become an Officer yourself?

Comment

• Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
                  Blue What happened to the Beard?:) ....Did you ever have the inclination to become an Officer yourself?
                  I thought about it; I even applied for and was qualified to go to Warrant Officer Skool. But I made Tech Sergeant that year, and I really wanted to keep being an NCO. And by that time, I was too old to get my degree and apply for a commission, so THAT was out.

I don't think I would've been a good officer. The life of a junior officer is AWFUL. I had no wish to go backwards in status and the regard of my comrades (it's taken as a matter of faith that, no matter if you're prior enlisted or not, as a cherry lieutenant, you don't know NOTHIN'!) If I'd been in certain situations as a looie that I'd been in as a sergeant, I could not have been as free to guide events. I'll give you an example:

When I was the lead DPRK analyst in Misawa, Japan, we had a total dumbass Navy lieutenant as our flight commander. His assistant was a prior service Army 2nd lieutenant that was purty dam' sharp. Well, we had an 'event' that brought all three of us together in a critical time-sensitive decision-making council. El Tee Navee was CLUELESS and thank Gawd he knew it, too, so he was open to suggestion. I was the guy that had to guide him through to the right call, because his assistant, El Tee Armee, could've only gotten involved IF I'd been about to advise that Navee do the Wrong Thing (and if lives hadn't been on the line, maybe not even then, either). Armee was two grades lower than his boss, and in an inferior position to boot, so if Armee had 'taken over' the decision-making, it would've brought criticism to BOTH of 'em, whereas I, as a technically-competent NCO that was working in my capacity as an area expert ADVISED him on the correct move, well, that's exactly what I'm supposed to do, and no discredit attaches to Navee for taking my advice. It's what we're BOTH supposed to do, and brings credit to us both.

And that one thing convinced me I'd rather be an NCO.

Luckily, Lt. Bluesman is about to become CAPTAIN Bluesman; she will sport a LOT more credibility after she pins it on in July.

Comment

• GOT THE PICTURES!!!

Only a few of dalem, and DAMMIT!!!...NONE of my bud TopHatter.

Still...purty good representation of the rip.

Comment

• Sux I missed it. :( I did get to bake a cake, paint Easter eggs and see the Easter Bunny at Navy Pier with my future stepdaughter. :)

(Blues, do your turns! hehe ;) )
                      No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
                      I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
                      even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
                      He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

• Originally posted by Bluesman View Post
                        GOT THE PICTURES!!!

Only a few of dalem, and DAMMIT!!!...NONE of my bud TopHatter.

Still...purty good representation of the rip.
                        How do you login Blues?

Comment

• Originally posted by THL View Post
                          Here are some pictures TopHatter posted of Bluesman, himself and Confed from April 2006 when we all got together down there in Tampa.
                          Bluesman looks a bit like a trimmed down George C Scott in 'Patton'!

A tough cookie he sure looks! ;)

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

• Originally posted by texasjohn View Post
                            How do you login Blues?
                            He tricked us!!;)
                            "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

• Luckily, Lt. Bluesman is about to become CAPTAIN Bluesman; she will sport a LOT more credibility after she pins it on in July.
                              Please convey our regards to Lt. Bluesman.....
                              Seek Save Serve Medic

Comment

• Made it. Three thousand miles across the greatest country the world has ever seen with two daughters, two cats, a dog, and a rabbit. Hotter than the hinges of hell in the desert, amazing vistas, a terrific Independence Day at my Mom's, and GREAT luck all the way to Travis.

More later; I'm droppin' with fatigue.

Comment

Working...
                                X