X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
    Ever used Xbox Kinect?
    Nope, my last console system was a Super Nintendo

(Full disclosure, I do have a DS for playing my beloved Dragon Quest games)
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
      Nope, my last console system was a Super Nintendo

(Full disclosure, I do have a DS for playing my beloved Dragon Quest games)
      You should find a place and try Xbox Kinect, preferably a friend's place. It's an amazing piece of technology for $300 (sensor + console).
      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Kinect runs on IR beams...get a night vision scope and check it out.

It's probably not very good for detecting aircraft in its flight path though.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
          Kinect runs on IR beams...get a night vision scope and check it out.

It's probably not very good for detecting aircraft in its flight path though.
          I'm not saying using it as a defector for aircraft. I just marvel at the motion detection technology and the facial recognition technology behind it. The aim is for the Xbox to recognize the current player (by facial recognition) and automatically switch profiles. The user also controls the machine with gestures.

There's a company already exploring other uses with this setup. Surgeons, after scrubbing, can't touch anything other than what the procedure requires. It's a pain if they had to operate a computer. They essentially need to tell people to run it for them. With Kinect, surgeons could access a computer during the procedure without compromising sanitation.

Modify this a bit and we can have UAVs on the ground, recognizing the hand signals of the ground personnel. Add the Cylon Eye for effects...
          "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

There's a company already exploring other uses with this setup. Surgeons, after scrubbing, can't touch anything other than what the procedure requires. It's a pain if they had to operate a computer. They essentially need to tell people to run it for them. With Kinect, surgeons could access a computer during the procedure without compromising sanitation.
            That is seriously cool!

Modify this a bit and we can have UAVs on the ground, recognizing the hand signals of the ground personnel. Add the Cylon Eye for effects...
            Don't forget the external speakers to supply the cool back-and-forth sound effect!
            “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

I remember being with a helo squadron last year during the Libyan Civil War. A Fire Scout was shot down over Libya. That day while sitting in the det office a pilot ran in shouting "A Fire Scout got shot down!" which was met with immediate cheer. I asked why they were celebrating, "Job security" said another pilot.

I don't exactly see this the same way. There will always be a need for humans, no matter what the job is. I just wonder if drone "pilots" will ever be treated the same as actual pilots.

Drone Pilot To Receive First Air Force Medal of Honor Since Vietnam | The Duffel Blog
              Duffel Blog did a satirical story on a drone "pilot" getting the Medal of Honor. It sounds silly, but is it actually that unrealistic?

Comment

Originally posted by SonnyCorleone View Post
                I remember being with a helo squadron last year during the Libyan Civil War. A Fire Scout was shot down over Libya. That day while sitting in the det office a pilot ran in shouting "A Fire Scout got shot down!" which was met with immediate cheer. I asked why they were celebrating, "Job security" said another pilot.

I don't exactly see this the same way. There will always be a need for humans, no matter what the job is. I just wonder if drone "pilots" will ever be treated the same as actual pilots.

Drone Pilot To Receive First Air Force Medal of Honor Since Vietnam | The Duffel Blog
                Duffel Blog did a satirical story on a drone "pilot" getting the Medal of Honor. It sounds silly, but is it actually that unrealistic?
                It seems hard to imagine - but if the battle somehow came to the drone pilots and they were under direct attack - I suppose it could happen.
                sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
                  It seems hard to imagine - but if the battle somehow came to the drone pilots and they were under direct attack - I suppose it could happen.
                  Now we just need North Korea to invade Nevada...

Edit: I'm forwarding this to almost everyone I know. I'm curious how many get mad because they're unfamiliar with duffelblog. lol

Comment

You should show them this one: Military Absentee Ballots Delivered One Day Late, Would Have Swung Election For Romney | The Duffel Blog

Guaranteed to make people in the military/conservatives freak out

Comment

At sea photo.

Navy.mil - View Image

Comment

Originally posted by surfgun View Post
                        At sea photo.
                        That is one good looking bird...I wonder what a flight deck full of those would look like.

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                          That's interesting...two possibilities:

1. The human operator is watching via the camera
                          2. The drone has visual recognition software

I'm guessing #1 but #2 would be seriously cool.
                          From a former WABbits blog

You might ask yourself, "Who in the world is that yellow shirt signaling?" It is an unmanned system afterall, right? What is the point if the operator is that green shirted guy (not that kind of green shirt) right next to the yellow shirt. That was exactly the question on my mind last week when i first noted all the pictures and video put out by the US Navy as the X-47B was driving all over the flight deck of the USS Harry S. Truman (CVN 75).

Well, it turns out all that work is part of teaching the UCAS-D to read and understand the hand signals of the Yellow Shirt. Yes, that guy in the green on video is the human engaged pilot, but there is a learning process underway by which the unmanned aircraft is learning how to taxi around an aircraft carrier autonomously based on the hand signals of the yellow shirt.

Ready to watch the video again? Pretty cool IMO.

Watch very closely in this video (and check out others for more examples) and you will see how very deliberate the yellow shirt is with his signals, indeed he stays very steady and is being very deliberate with every motion. This is an example of yet one more in a long list of very interesting, intricate processes being developed as the Navy moves toward flying advanced computers without pilots strapped to jet engines off aircraft carriers.

As one pilot noted to me today, what this video is actually showing is a two way conversation on the flight deck.
                          Last edited by Gun Grape; 21 Dec 12,, 07:46.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                            From a former WABbits blog
                            Ha! How cool is that??

Comment

The answer to that question depends entirely upon how long it takes for one to drive off the edge.

Comment

Originally posted by surfgun View Post
                                At sea photo.

Navy.mil - View Image
                                Interesting note: Looking closely at the hi-res photo, you can see the APU is running; there's smoke coming out of the APU exhaust. I'm assuming that's for on-board power before the main engine comes online.
                                "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Working...
                                X