Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Israeli head gear

Hia folks

With the recent events in Gaza, the TV is flooded with images of israeli troops. And again I saw something that has me confused (again): what are the israelis using on the heads!?

I figure there's a helmet there somewhere, but they allways seem to have a tent on top of it! Anyone knows what it is?

from what i read elsewhere..it seems to be some target-distorting bag, just fitted on to break the shape...and possibly attackers would think they're aiming at their head, when they're actually not.

Comment

Is this what you mean lads

Israeli Soldiers, Fashion Victims Why are they wearing chef's hats? By Daniel Engber Photos of Israeli soldiers taken throughout the war in Lebanon show them wearing big, floppy hats that look like shower caps. What's the deal? They're for camouflage. The hat called a mitznefet in Hebrew attaches to a regular combat helmet and obscures its rigid, round shape. As the mitznefet flops about, it takes on an irregular form that's harder to recognize in a shadow or out of the corner of your eye. The hat also protects against the sun and the moon, which might reflect off the surface of the helmet. A standard mitznefet consists of reversible mesh fabric, with a greenish woodland camouflage print on one side and a brown desert print on the other. Helmet covers are not a new idea. A U.S. Army field manual produced during World War II instructed a soldier to watch out for his helmet: "Its curved, familiar shape can be identified by the enemy. One of your first steps in preparing for the job of staying alive to fight is to disrupt both the form of your helmet and the strong, straight-lined shadow it casts." The manual goes on to suggest slipping a net or a rubber band over the headgear and then stuffing branches and leaves around the edges. Modern American troops typically don't wear anything like the mitznefet, but they're still told to "cam up" their headgear with bits of foliage. Some soldiers attach strips from a cut-up battle dress uniform to their helmets, which turns a standard-issue K-pot into a camouflaged "rag top." Bonus Explainer: What does the word mitznefet mean? One common translation is "clown hat," but the term has some more dignified connotations. The biblical Book of Exodus uses mitznefet to describe the ancient headgear of the Jewish high priests. As such, the word has been translated as "mitre" or "headdress." But some biblical scholars think mitznefet comes from the root "to wrap," and say that a better translation would be "turban.[quote]

;)

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
        They're for camouflage. The hat called a mitznefet in Hebrew attaches to a regular combat helmet and obscures its rigid, round shape.
        So that's it... thanks for the info :)

But the thing looks a bit big. That and the flapping up and down won't make it more visible?

Comment

Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
          So that's it... thanks for the info :)

But the thing looks a bit big. That and the flapping up and down won't make it more visible?
          Not at all , look at the Brits with their headsets , looks like a bush , the idea behind cam , is to break up the traditional outline ,and them things when they have the flora and fauna attached will look nothing at all like a helmet , get the idea ;)

Comment

Not at all , look at the Brits with their headsets , looks like a bush , the idea behind cam , is to break up the traditional outline ,and them things when they have the flora and fauna attached will look nothing at all like a helmet , get the idea ;)
            I get it,so then it looks like a helmet with a bush growing out of it;).
            "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

The basics of camouflage are:
              1. Shape.
              2. Shine.
              3. Shadow.
              4. Sound.
              5. Movement.
              6. Colour.

Get these right in the wild and you will be almost invisible.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaobam Armour View Post
                1. Shape.
                2. Shine.
                3. Shadow.
                4. Sound.
                5. Movement.
                6. Colour.

Very true C/A , which was mentioned in my original post , but you have qouted the U/K style to remember it by , old habits die hard huh , and do you remember the 7 P,s , i bet you do ;)
                Last edited by tankie; 06 Jan 09,, 10:33.

Comment

Originally posted by Shamus View Post
                  I get it,so then it looks like a helmet with a bush growing out of it;).
                  Unlike George Bush , who is a helmet IMO :))

Comment

A very good question.

I was pondering it myself when I first saw the Israeli's. I almost considered the "chef hat" as a hood over top of their regular helmets for such things as perhaps eye protection in sandy areas as well as some crude form of breathing aparatus in case they encounter heavy smoke or gas of some sort.
                    Thanks.:)
                    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Very true C/A , which was mentioned in my original post , but you have qouted the U/K style to remember it by , old habits die hard huh , and do you remember the 7 P,s , i bet you do ;)
                      Prior, Preparation, prevents, p*ss, poor, performance. Hang on thats six

Comment

Prior, Preparation, prevents, p*ss, poor, performance. Hang on thats six
                        prior preperation ,planning prevents piss poor performance ;)

Comment

prior preperation ,planning prevents piss poor performance ;)
                          Wow! I gotta copy that for me!

Comment

1. Shape.
                            2. Shine.
                            3. Shadow.
                            4. Sound.
                            5. Movement.
                            6. Colour.

How did the police dog find the drugs ?

Comment

he said invisible, not unsmellable.
                              "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X