X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China's Uighur problem

Thought we had a thread on this. We did. It's here

Topic don't stop just cause it got closed. This will be part deux

China Rebukes House Bill Condemning Crackdown On Uighurs | NPR | Dec 04 2019

The bipartisan bill, which passed the House in a 407-1 vote, condemns "gross human rights violations" against the Uighurs and calls for "an end to arbitrary detention, torture, and harassment of these communities inside and outside China."

The bill, which now goes to the Senate where passage seems certain, could further complicate movement toward a deal with China to end the ongoing trade war with Washington.

The measure passed Tuesday states that since 2014, Chinese authorities have detained some 800,000 Uighurs and other ethnic minorities and subjected them to brutal conditions.

The White House has not signaled whether the president will sign the bill. The Senate passed a similar measure in September. Sen. Marco Rubio, a sponsor of the bill, said, "I look forward to working with my Senate colleagues to get it passed and sent to the President for enactment."
    What does this bill do ?

It also calls on President Trump to take action to sanction senior Chinese officials involved in the abuses in Xinjiang.

The measure also calls for imposing export restrictions on technologies used to surveil the minority populations.

And what is up with the white house ?

Trump comments, Uighur bill hit prospects of U.S.-China trade deal | Reuters | Dec 04 2019

Has reuters modified their title since. There is no comment by Trump in this article ?

The White House has yet to say whether Trump would sign or veto the bill, which contains a provision allowing the president to waive sanctions if he determines that to be in the national interest.

Comment

About that health checking app, this is on the mass surveillance theme

Comment

China sterilising ethnic minority women in Xinjiang, report says
        Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Here's the run-down on the officials (and immediate family members) barred from traveling to the US, and subject to seizure of assets held there:

Chen Quanguo (陈全国) is the CCP Secretary of the Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region and a member of the 19th Politburo. Prior to his current position, he was party boss in Tibet (2011-16), and Governor and Acting Governor of Hebei Province (2009-11). In Henan Province, he ran the Provincial School of Administration and Party School (2005-09) while serving as Deputy Secretary (2003-09). He also ran the Henan CCP Organization Department (2000-04), served as Vice Governor (1998-01), and as Acting Mayor of Luohe City (1996-98). He also has stints in the senior leadership of Pingdingshan and Suiping cities, also in Henan. Chen Joined the CCP in 1976 and has an economics degreee from Zhenghou University and an Econ MA from Wuhan Automotive Polytechnic University. He was born in Pingyu, Hunan Province, in 1955. Chen seems to be a protege of former PBSC member Li Changchun, and worked him and with Premier Li Keqiang when all three were in Henan Province.

Wang Mingshan (王明山) is the head of Xinjiang's Public Security Bureau (PSB).

Zhu Hailun (朱海仑) is Xinjiang CCP Deputy Secretary (2016-) and a former party head of Urumqi, the capital city (2009-16). Although he is a Han born in Jiangsu (1958), he speaks fluent Uyghur and has been based in the province since shortly after joining the CCP in 1980.

Huo Liujun (霍留军) was party secretary of the Xinjiang PSB.
          Trust me?
          I'm an economist!

Comment

Waiting for the UK to do the same. So far they have not targeted any official from China

Comment

Is cultural and demographic genocide a fair label for what China is doing?

Do people think that this is as dangerous as china gets or fast forward 20 years do people see the potential for an even greater evil?

Comment

Originally posted by tantalus View Post

Do people think that this is as dangerous as china gets or fast forward 20 years do people see the potential for an even greater evil?
                Yes and yes. Makes 2 of us that think alike.
                Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

When forecasting X years into the future, it is very useful to go X years into the past, and remind yourself what it was like, how much can change in that time frame, and how easy it is to extrapolate from recent trends that may not continue exactly as they are seen at this time.

Having done formal 2, 5, 10, 20, and 50 year forecasts, I can tell you the shorter ones are the worst.
                  Trust me?
                  I'm an economist!

Comment

Originally posted by DOR View Post
                    When forecasting X years into the future, it is very useful to go X years into the past, and remind yourself what it was like, how much can change in that time frame, and how easy it is to extrapolate from recent trends that may not continue exactly as they are seen at this time.

Having done formal 2, 5, 10, 20, and 50 year forecasts, I can tell you the shorter ones are the worst.
                    I agree its a fools errand to predict the future. Logically longer term forecasts are even less likely to predict accurately.

I agree using history while being extremely careful to not fall into the cavernous trap of hindsight bias is a very useful. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindsight_bias

That said It might be time we treat China as a grave threat and try to create dialogue that hedges against the worst outcomes.

Comment

Originally posted by tantalus View Post

Would the great leap forward & cultural revolution come close for your first sentence ?

What terrible things have these people not already done.

Could they top it, not in their country.

They've already sorted out their majority population.

The Tibetans have been dealt with. HK is a work in progress.

Who else is left after the Uighurs ?

The danger i see is smaller countries along the periphery enacting Chinese laws that are as repressive.

Any country that China has a veto with. As a kowtow.
                      Last edited by Double Edge; 12 Jul 20,, 20:05.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                        Would the great leap forward & cultural revolution come close for your first sentence ?

What terrible things have these people not already done.

It's a good point. The GLF probably dessrves the title of the greatest disaster of the 20th century. In my mind, rightly or wrongly, I have divided these chinas into two. The great Leap Forward was a China that was largely defined by ideology and incompetence. Todays China is defined by ruthlessness and competence and therefore the Uighurs are potentially the first terrible step of this new China...

They've already sorted out their majority population.

The Tibetans have been dealt with. HK is a work in progress.

Who else is left after the Uighurs ?

The danger i see is smaller countries along the periphery enacting Chinese laws that are as repressive.

It would be the Han and the irresistible temptation to apply ai and survelliance technology that surpasses even orwells wldlest dreams.

I agree and not just the periphery. China is showing what is possible and has only just begun, exportation of its technology and laws are a grave concern. Now more than ever we could do with the promise of American Exceptalism being fulfilled, but the US needs to atleast deliver on the basic premise it promises its own citizens and not divide internally even further. Atleast both sides have coalesced around the idea that China is a problem and the old strategy has failed. The best thing the USA can do is fix its own problems first and quickly.

Comment

UK ratchets up criticism of China over Uighurs, HK; hints at suspending extradition agreement

Comment

China's UK ambassador denies abuse of Uighurs despite fresh drone footage

Comment

The longer the forecast, the easier it is. Demographics and geography don't change quickly, and institutions take some time to evolve or fade away.

When people throw around terms like genocide in reference to the Great Leap Forward – or worse, the Cultural Revolution – I have to assume that they are using the wrong term.

Genocide is an intentional effort to destroy a specific group of people. Neither of those events have that characteristic.
                              Trust me?
                              I'm an economist!

Comment

Working...
                              X