Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do B-52 crews bring air freshener into the cockpit? I'd figure nearly 60 years of human stench confined in a 6x4 space should be quite....aromatic.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

• Feasibility Study and Conceptual Design of HC.X (Very Large Transport Helicopter )

Dear member with military aviation background,

I'm currently working on the feasibility study and preliminary conceptual design (if found feasible) of a Very Large Transport Helicopter (like CH-53, Mi-26). We have the necessary models, tools and design processes to achieve this, however a better understanding of the operational requirements is needed as a starting point (having never designed this class of aircraft before). At the very least, we need a basic understanding of what RAF/RN/US Navy/etc. would want to carry, how far and in what kind of environment.

So if anybody here is familiar with military aircraft operations, I will be very grateful for just a rough idea of how helicopters in this class are used in the field. Particularly,

1. What kind of payloads(weight and size) they usually carry and how far? As in, some typical mission profiles/cases. (Particularly: Why do you want to use one CH-53 for this instead of 2-3 Blackhawks?)
      2. In reference to the above, what you feel are limitations of existing platforms.

P.S: Unconventional rotor-craft (Tandem rotor, tilt-rotor, co-axial, etc.) our outside our scope.

Comment

• Question: can a drone land with it's weapons? I am fairly certain it should, but, can't dig the net to find a photo and/or a text supporting it.

Thanks.
        No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doktor View Post
          Question: can a drone land with it's weapons? I am fairly certain it should, but, can't dig the net to find a photo and/or a text supporting it.

Thanks.
          a lot of caveats to this

type of UAS involved, geoloc restrictions around local safety issues etc..

I've seen a couple of pics with dummy loads land, never seen a hot load landing
          Linkeden:
          http://au.linkedin.com/pub/gary-fairlie/1/28a/2a2
          http://cofda.wordpress.com/

Comment

• So 'associate' squadrons work? Are they useful? If push come to shove, isn't it the airplanes that would be in limited number and not pilots?

Comment

• When measuring aircraft length, does the length of the pitot tube counts? Aka does the measurement starts from the tip of the radome or from the tip of the pitot tube?

Comment

• Let's hope someone's still around here...

I'm looking for information the paylods of the A-7E, specifically how big and how heavy the payload each of the wing pylons could carry, as well as which ones were rigged for drop tanks.

Comment

• Are you doing a specific time frame? Vietnam/ Desert storm? Are you looking for actual loadouts or just how many bombs can I load this thing with? 15,000lb payload

Pylons 1,3,6,and 8 were wet. (inner and outer wing) 300gal tanks.

From one of the Osprey books

Comment

• I'm working on the idea that France had bought it instead of the Super Etendard. But this would mean the A-7 would have to be able to carry at least 1 Exocet, which has a weight of 670kg and a diameter of 35cm. I'm assuming it would use the inner pylon, as it's usually the one that can carry the heaviest load.

Comment

• They could carry 6, Mk-82s on a MER. They also caried MK-84bombs So I think a Exocet would be fine.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                        They could carry 6, Mk-82s on a MER.
                        Forgot about that. So... Mk82 is over 27cm in diameterx2=54cm. Plenty of room, thanks for the heads up.

Comment

• What attaches a bomb to a pylon? And how is it released? What are the G limit for something like that?

Comment

• Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                            What attaches a bomb to a pylon? And how is it released? What are the G limit for something like that?
                            Okay this is a standard MK 82 500 lb bomb. Notice the 2 eyebolts on the top. Those eyebolts are engaged on a Bomb Shackle by to hooks that can be withdrawn in order to drop the bomb

Click image for larger version

Name:	bomb-mk-82-3d-model-max-obj-3ds-fbx.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	1477271

This shows a B-17 vertical bomb shackle and how the bombs were released straight down out of the bomb bay by gravity. The shackles are embedded in the vertical racks. This was pretty standard on US WW 2 bombers.

Name:	b17 bomb bay.jpg
Size:	405.8 KB
ID:	1477272

Here is the shackle arrangement on a Lancaster the shackles have the hooks on the top with arms screwed down to keep the bombs in place.

Name:	28LancasterBombShackleMounts.jpg
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	1477273

So its eyebolts on the bomb engaging latches on the rack.

Electronic signal from the target computer....or the Mk1 Mod 0 eyeball and firing button in the case of the A-10....cause the latch hooks to disengage.

The amount of G forces is dependent on the type of rack and size of ordnance.

If you are humping 2000 pounders you use a larger, more robust rack than for 500 pounders.
                            “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                            Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                              This shows a B-17 vertical bomb shackle and how the bombs were released straight down out of the bomb bay by gravity. The shackles are embedded in the vertical racks. This was pretty standard on US WW 2 bombers.

[ATTACH]46767[/ATTACH]
                              Thank you, AR.

This is actually my next question. Are those bombs latched to the rack at a 45 degree angle? What if a latch at the bottom malfunctioned but the one on top released the bomb?

Comment

• All on an electrical circuit. If one below fails to release, the circuit stays open and the ones above never get a signal/power to open

Comment

Working...
                                X