China angers neighbours with sea claims on new passports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China angers neighbours with sea claims on new passports

Can these countries deny entrance to all Chinese citizens bearing the new passport with U shaped claim on it? What consequence may follow if such extreme measure is implemented?

UPDATE 1-China angers neighbours with sea claims on new passports | Reuters

Nov 22 (Reuters) - The Philippines and Vietnam condemned Chinese passports containing a map of China's disputed maritime claims on Thursday, branding the new design a violation of their sovereignty.

China's neighbours protest its passport map grab - Telegraph

In response, Vietnamese immigration is refusing to paste visas inside the new passports, instead putting the visa on a separate, detached, page.

"When I tried to cross the border, the officials refused to stamp my visa," said David Li, 19, from Guangdong province, who ran into problems getting into Vietnam on Nov 19.

"They claimed my visa was invalid. They said it was because on the new passport's map, the South China Sea part of China's marine border crossed Vietnam's territory, so if they stamped on it, it means they acknowledge China's claim," he added.

Mr Li said two other passengers on his flight also had problems with their new passports, and that he was forced to buy a new visa for 50,000 Vietnamese dong (£1.50).

Kien Deng, a Chinese travel agent who has worked in Vietnam for three years, said the Vietnamese officials had used the map for their financial advantage, charging a fee of 30 yuan (£3) to holders of the offending passport in order to insert a new visa.

"They are playing a cheeky trick which makes foreigners like us suffer," he said. "There are 20,000 students who visit Vietnam from China every year, and 70,000 businessmen in Hanoi and at least as many again in Saigon. So it adds up to a huge amount," he said.

Comment

China also add a separate detached page for visa for Indians.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Sir,
        What don't they like on your passport?

Comment

Any resident from J&K and Arunachal Pardesh gets visa on a separate sheet, not on Indian passport to enter China. This is how China make its territorial claims by telling residents of these states after approving their visa applications.

GoI has pursued few cases (reported) with concerned Chinese authorities up to Premier of China (by our PM). We have been assured that they will look into this matter ;).

Both China and India believe in peaceful resolution of all pending border disputes.

Comment

On the little rubber entrance stamp, simply add a line of text, something like

"This stamp of entrance in no way acknowledges the accuracy or legality of the map contained within this passport."

Comment

Looking forward to see the new Japanese passports.

Many countries add pages if they have a problem with the country which issued the passport, otherwise they'll need a lot of lil stamps I'd guess.
              No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

burn Chinese flags and cheap Chinese goods. That'll show them.

Better, stop Chinese nationals with the new passport entering into your country. Let's see who's afraid of whom. AmIright?

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
                  China also add a separate detached page for visa for Indians.
                  Yeah, man. That made my blood boiling. I almost destroyed the China-made cheap keyboard.

Comment

India fights China's passport prick with visas - The Economic Times

NEW DELHI: After the recent quiet over territorial issues, New Delhi and Beijing are back to bitter one-upmanship which started with China's newly launched e-passports showing Arunachal Pradesh and Aksai Chin in J&K as parts of China. India has responded by not just registering a strong protest with China but by also imprinting its own map on visas that are issued to Chinese nationals.
                    Image of the controversial passport print
                    Attached Files

Comment

Taiwan protests Chinese passports over territory claim - Yahoo! News Singapore

Taiwan on Friday protested after China started issuing new passports with maps that feature two of the island's most famous scenic spots as part of Chinese territory.

Taiwan's President Ma Ying-jeou urged China not to "unilaterally damage the status quo of the hard-fought stability across the Taiwan Strait", his office said in a statement.

Comment

Originally posted by cdude View Post
                        burn Chinese flags and cheap Chinese goods. That'll show them.

Better, stop Chinese nationals with the new passport entering into your country. Let's see who's afraid of whom. AmIright?
                        Yeah, man. That made my blood boiling. I almost destroyed the China-made cheap keyboard.
                        What do Chinese consumer goods have to do with the land-grabbing currently going on?

Comment

China is now issuing passports with maps of China which shows many areas that they claim as their own, but do not have the possession of the same.

This has upset all of China's neighbours.

In fact, China should have posted the world on the passports with pink clouds floating all over!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                            Looking forward to see the new Japanese passports.

Many countries add pages if they have a problem with the country which issued the passport, otherwise they'll need a lot of lil stamps I'd guess.
                            Which are those countries?

Any idea?

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

he he he this is what happens when the world purportedly ignores xinjiang and tibet. Whats more dear to china than its wealth is its "one-china" policy. Ignore that and it shifts its focus from internal to external.

I guess the south china sea dispute is not so serious after all.

Comment

Working...
                              X