For those who play guitar...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy Hanukkah/New Year to me!

My newest addition to the stringed tribe. 2013 fretless Fender Precision Bass. It's a bit of a hybrid Jazz/Precision combination. Black Nitro finish with triple offset pickups, short scale ebony fingerboard, and a HipShot to instantly convert the E to a low D (you could even wrangle a low C). Pretty solid construction. Neck grain is nice and straight with no detectable dead spots. Haven't yet decided, but I'll probably have my bass tech replace the bridge/string nut and go with heavier gauge Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Bass flat-wounds or Black Diamond round-wounds.
    sigpic

Comment

One of my very 1st gitts was a Hofner short scale, in cherry red with maple fret , nice axe which i sadly sold for 12 pounds in 1970 sigggggggggh .

Comment

Originally posted by Minskaya View Post

My newest addition to the stringed tribe. 2013 fretless Fender Precision Bass. It's a bit of a hybrid Jazz/Precision combination. Black Nitro finish with triple offset pickups, short scale ebony fingerboard, and a HipShot to instantly convert the E to a low D (you could even wrangle a low C). Pretty solid construction. Neck grain is nice and straight with no detectable dead spots. Haven't yet decided, but I'll probably have my bass tech replace the bridge/string nut and go with heavier gauge Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Bass flat-wounds or Black Diamond round-wounds.
        Wow - what a beauty! What kind of nut material are you considering? Black Tusk? I've read about those T-I and B-D bass strings, from what I've heard either of them should be very nice.

I think I'll tune up my EB0 today.
        sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
        If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Ok, this is an effort to get some of guitarists and musicians to post something.
          I'm sure nobody has anything to be ashamed of - I will dispense with my shame ;)

Here's a little clip of a melody I tried to learn, which sort of became a different thing...

91 Am Std strat with .009 cobalt ernie ball strings, E-E tuning, Vox VT15, capo @ 5th fret
          Attached Files
          sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Minskaya View Post

One of my bass playing friends mentioned these are his favorites - Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Bass flat-wounds - they have a a round core silk layer that makes them reallty nice.
            Last edited by USSWisconsin; 22 Jan 13,, 13:44.

Comment

Had an early morning dream today, of playing a black coloured PRS les paul copy. (Why les paul?...coz i'm dying to buy one soon. So I see a les paul everywhere :slap:)

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

steel

lap steel

Recording King 6 str, Em7 tuning, VT-15 w/phaser :)
                Attached Files

Comment

Got my new Greg Bennett designed guitar yesterday...

Attached Files

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Your daughter has such a cool dad.

Comment

My crafter axe , semi acc , with eq / tuner/ phaser / volume controls , lovely sounds , gold plated hardware .Pearl inlay ,,,,,n arferitic fingers to strum it with

And kellogs brekky in the near distance

Attached Files
                      Last edited by tankie; 11 Feb 13,, 13:41.

Comment

B.C. Rich Bich Classic

Tuned in Cmajor for now, will tune it back to normal E to sell
                        Attached Files
                        We're so bad, we're even bad at it

Comment

something today - just a little bit, I like this amp model
                          Attached Files

Comment

My rig:

Attached Files
                            "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

New Strings

The original strings on my Tele needed to be changed, they still had sounded ok, but they were a year old and were leaving some grey corrosion on my fingers. Those factory original strings sounded so good for so long, I was reluctant to change a thing... :wors:

I picked Thomastik Infeld SL109 Blues Sliders for the replacements, these cost about 4x more than Fender strings, and I was curious to see if they were worth it. The low E, A and D strings have a silk wrap between the core and the round nickel outer winding, the G, B and high E are brass plated steel. I used .009'- .043's - the same gauge as the originals, which seems to be perfect for this instrument.

They sound very different than the Fender strings they replaced, particularly when played with a glass slide - with the slide it sounds like a different guitar altogether. I miss the crisp, clear tone of the original Fender Nickel-Steel strings, but these are probably worth their high price, they sound very good and add fuller, humbucker like quality to the guitar without loosing the distinctive Tele twang. They seem to have a fatter sound overall, hold tune well and feel great, they are pretty things too, the silk is dark maroon (only visible at the tuning pegs) and the unwound strings are gold colored. Strings seem to be the most cost effective way to alter the sound of a guitar, they can really make a difference.

When these wear out, I'll probably put original spec Fenders on the Telecaster next time, but I'll definitely use T-I strings again, I like them - perhaps they'll be the next strings on my Epiphone Dot (335 style arch-top). :)

Comment

Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
                                The original strings on my Tele needed to be changed, they still had sounded ok, but they were a year old and were leaving some grey corrosion on my fingers. Those factory original strings sounded so good for so long, I was reluctant to change a thing... :wors:

I picked Thomastik Infeld SL109 Blues Sliders for the replacements, these cost about 4x more than Fender strings, and I was curious to see if they were worth it. The low E, A and D strings have a silk wrap between the core and the round nickel outer winding, the G, B and high E are brass plated steel. I used .009'- .043's - the same gauge as the originals, which seems to be perfect for this instrument.

They sound very different than the Fender strings they replaced, particularly when played with a glass slide - with the slide it sounds like a different guitar altogether. I miss the crisp, clear tone of the original Fender Nickel-Steel strings, but these are probably worth their high price, they sound very good and add fuller, humbucker like quality to the guitar without loosing the distinctive Tele twang. They seem to have a fatter sound overall, hold tune well and feel great, they are pretty things too, the silk is dark maroon (only visible at the tuning pegs) and the unwound strings are gold colored. Strings seem to be the most cost effective way to alter the sound of a guitar, they can really make a difference.

When these wear out, I'll probably put original spec Fenders on the Telecaster next time, but I'll definitely use T-I strings again, I like them - perhaps they'll be the next strings on my Epiphone Dot (335 style arch-top). :)
                                What are they like with the K/A pick ups ?

Comment

Working...
                                X