USS Wisconsin ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thebard View Post
    I remember reading a thread here a year or so ago, where I think a similar situation existed with USS Lexington. Those familiar with operations were happy to see their head executive leave the organization. I think that's a common theme among any organization who compensates their executives based on a perceived ability, rather than demonstrated performance.
    Sounds like a ship I know of and the last previous Director.

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
      Thanks for refreshing my memory of reading your account. It was Hornet, NOT Lexington. I hope things are looking up there.

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
        I was thinking that he was thinking of that same thing! I think he mis-remembered which Carrier! I thought Lexington's problems were more local politics.

I for one am happy to see how Wisconsin, Iowa and Missouri have been doing as museums! Plus, the future seems a little brighter for your ship as well! The big ships surviving and thriving give hope to the smaller ones.

Comment

Originally posted by blidgepump View Post
          A deck storage locker between Turret 1 & 2 was a surprise to me. I've built several Iowa Class BB models in the 60's and never picked up this detail. Perhaps it was added in the 1950's?
          That structure appears to be the vestibule to the ladders from/to the main deck from/to WO quarters and mess, on the second deck. As the print shows there are 2 ladders. I would guess that during GQ this was used to access the fwd turrets and the fwd 5 inch 38's and machine guns in a hurry from the FWD section of the second deck. However the print shows that those ladders were down from the main deck and up from the second deck.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7570.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	1477482Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7572.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	1477483 Print last updated 1952.
          Last edited by Boilermaker9; 13 Oct 18,, 20:03. Reason: correction

Comment

Great detail ....

[QUOTE=Boilermaker9;1046226]That structure appears to be the vestibule to the ladders from/to the main deck from/to WO quarters and mess, on the second deck. As the print shows there are 2 ladders. ..... However the print shows that those ladders were down from the main deck and up from the second deck.

Name:	IMG_7570.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	1477482

That blueprint certainly clears the air so I extend my appreciation for your posting / sharing.
            Closer detail of the two (2) Port side hatches illustrated in this photo. Plates above the hatch says "Deck Office 1-63-2"
            Attached Files

Comment

Moving aft....

Air Escape Tank Vents.... Quite a few tanks to vent.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by blidgepump; 16 Oct 18,, 03:03.

Comment

Now you're here ...

Some slow progress along the port side of the USS Wisconsin.
                A comparison of the WWII version vs. the Museum version of today.
                The current version almost looks "bare".
                Attached Files

Comment

That's why I prefer the older South Dakota Class (Massachusetts, North Carolina, etc.). They are mostly still rigged out as they sailed into Harm's Way.
                  “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                  Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                    That's why I prefer the older South Dakota Class (Massachusetts, North Carolina, etc.). They are mostly still rigged out as they sailed into Harm's Way.
                    Minor point, but North Carolina is lead ship of her own class, not a South Dakota like Massachusetts and Alabama.

But yeah, I get your overall point. They were all put to sleep after the war and never upgraded or modernized.

Comment

• Originally posted by blidgepump View Post
                      Air Escape Tank Vents.... Quite a few tanks to vent.
                      Attached is a drawing of a flanged bellmouth, that I found on the internet, I was referring to, it would be bolted to the open flange on the gooseneck. Over the years the they remained the same design. The housings were cast in bronze/brass generally, and the ball on the inside was usually was a hollow brass/bronze or stainless steel hollow ball. They also have a fire screen and a flap cover usually closed for gq. There job as you know is to let air out and keep the sea and fire out. the bell mouth is plugged or the flapper closed a tank can become customized very quickly! Yes I have seen that happen however however the cause was incorrectly sized vent for the tank---- in the aftermath it was decided that the tank welds were structurally sound and the pushed out bulkheads and the pushed up deck were not a problem so the customized tank was never repaired! Another problem that was quite common is that the AB's or the first and second division would paint the screens instead of closing the flamers which also caused problems and often times we had to replace the bellmouth. In my later years working with abs and coast guard I replaced many of the things upon their extremely strong recommendation.--called a "no sail"! meaning the ship did not sail until the offending belmouth was replaced. not exactly career enhancing! Sorry I digress some.

Name:	belmouth drawing.png
Views:	2
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	1477513

Comment

• Originally posted by Boilermaker9 View Post
                        Attached is a drawing of a flanged bellmouth, that I found on ....

... Sorry I digress some.

[ATTACH]47022[/ATTACH]
                        No need to apologize.
                        I find your "digressions" fascinating! And I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Comment

• Regarding the storage structure in front of Turret 2 and not seeing it on models, I have a model of Iowa I built when I was probably 12.

Still have it here on my desk, a little worse for the wear of xx years (long ago, lol) but it does have that structure on it. It's a Monogram model, as I recall. I always found those a little more kid-friendly (when I was a kid) to build than Revell.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pacfanweb View Post
                            Regarding the storage structure in front of Turret 2 and not seeing it on models, I have a model of Iowa I built when I was probably 12.

Still have it here on my desk, a little worse for the wear of xx years (long ago, lol) but it does have that structure on it. It's a Monogram model, as I recall. I always found those a little more kid-friendly (when I was a kid) to build than Revell.
                            Okay, be honest. Has it ever been in the bathtub with you?

Comment

• Originally posted by thebard View Post
                              I wasn't taking baths at 12 so the ships were in the swimming pool.

Comment

• Originally posted by thebard View Post
                                Yes. And I was just guessing on my age, it might have been when I was younger. But I still have it. Only one of all the models I built as a kid.

Comment

Working...
                                X