Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is stress something that we will never get away from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is stress something that we will never get away from?

We might say that we will eventually do those things we should be doing when the pressure is less, but it seems that we never really reach a very calm time at all.......probably because those things we are avoiding stress the heck out of us!

On one hand, I have several very imaginative ways of handling how stress affects me. I push it out of mind, stop thinking about it, diary write, throw up a counter program against it, release it, become a fatalist, play it into fantasy, and so forth.

But on the other hand, for all those methods above, they are something like a drug for after they do what they do, some component that is causing the stress is still there.

Maybe..........................because it could be that a lot of the stress we feel we cause ourselves. In a training program I was once in, we described the stress on the level of a train wreck. It was so high that it was possible for us in drills to jump to the wrong conclusion, do the wrong action. Driving to the course one morning (after a previous day's drill that I really screwed up), I decided that I wasn't going to worry about passing any more. I was going to learn what I could and if I had to repeat it, so be it. I released the stress and in an instant, it all dropped.

Now doing that isn't the perfect way because at that point, one is at the mercy of the fates. In that particular case, I turned my performance around, impressed my teachers, and passed. But there are other cases where no longer working about the point means surrendering all possibility of success.

Or I have a major op coming up. I've prepped as best I can for it, know it isn't perfect, but as that I can't do anymore, I am not going to get all wound up worrying about it. I'll handle it in stride the best I can if and when things start happening the wrong way.

But maybe, that's what it is all about. Stress is always there.......just like the atmosphere of the planet. It's how we allow it to interact with us and we cause our own high BP and grittery teeth.

OF COURSE, there is always carrying the neutralization of stress a bit too far as Kryten pointed out in "Rimmerworld":

" Are you of the school that, when faced with bad news, prefers to hear that news naked and unvarnished, or are you of the ilk that prefers to live in happy and blissful ignorance of the nightmare you're facing?"

The best you can do is manage stress. You won't be stress free until you drop that oxygen habit.
    Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

A lot of stress is made worse by people in their own mind.
      For instance by running very negative scenarios in their mind over and over again.
      If you don't do that you reduce a lot of stress.

Also you may wanna keep a little bit of stress, just to keep things interesting/healthy.

Comment

Do away with stress? Are you kidding?

I thrive on stress.

Comment

Stress is something that cannot be wished away. It depends on how one handles the situation. If something bothers me I think of the worst possible scenario and believe that things would be better from there. Every 3-4 months, I pack my bags and set off to some hill station with friends, get drunk and curse things. The point is to socialize with like-minded people, and there were times when I got some very valuable ideas/suggestions on those short trips to de-stress.
          Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
            Do away with stress? Are you kidding?

I thrive on stress.

Good, you can have mine.
            Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
              Good, you can have mine.
              He has his own wife.
              No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                He has his own wife.
                What about you, Dok? What about the missus?
                Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Originally posted by FJV View Post
                  For instance by running very negative scenarios in their mind over and over again.

Also you may wanna keep a little bit of stress, just to keep things interesting/healthy.
                  True enough. Life without a demon or two gets boring, the good things don't seem as fun as they should.

As far as hanging around like minded people, well, sort of. The catch is that I do so many different things, that people in one world aren't necessarily all in my world. I work full time, I scuba dive, I dance, I do other things.

Further, since I am a graveyard worker, my social life, what there is of it, is not normal.

Still, stress speaking, I have found ways over the years to handle things. My main work boss came in this morning. laying down on me his latest grief. I listened, I was supportive, I offered suggestions, but in the quick end with my mind already focused on the next immediate task, I told him I would put the issue on the back burner. A type of shield was up, not allowing his issue to draw me in.

OH, my "poor" student! Chance put him in the position for me to go over with him about the things he missed on the test and best said, I'm like a cheerleader ..................escaped from the asylum. Bubbly, knowledgeable, talkative.............and impossible to get away from.

BUT......that is one of the ways I handle stress. I take it and play a part. Now by the time I came across the student, I was probably well into the stress handling (things not going entirely right and just handle it all in stride with a fun approach to "Don't get mad, don't get angry, solve the problem") and that was just another level. Either that or I was riding the wave that I had transformed the day's stresses into.

It sounds perfect, but it isn't for that method doesn't always work, but when it does, it's okay.

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                    What about you, Dok? What about the missus?
                    I never said I thrive on stress. Tho, I can't really complain on the missus.

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

I never said I thrive on stress. Tho, I can't really complain on the missus.
                      Tell me she's not leaning over your shoulder as you typed that ......

You can use PM.

Comment

I clearly said i can't, not that there isn't much to whine about.

Comment

Originally posted by Tamara View Post
                          OF COURSE, there is always carrying the neutralization of stress a bit too far as Kryten pointed out in "Rimmerworld":

" Are you of the school that, when faced with bad news, prefers to hear that news naked and unvarnished, or are you of the ilk that prefers to live in happy and blissful ignorance of the nightmare you're facing?"
                          Stress is a broad set of responses, but with that caveat in mind, the ultimate cause of why we stress so much is surely an evolutionary one. People who stressed outlived the relaxed ones, who made a tasty breakfast for a saber toothed tiger, or were outcompeted by the stress balls who foraged relentlessly for food. Stress is part of a survival strategy. However, these adaptations do not make us particularly well-suited to modern life, so we stress under a wide range of unorthodox scenarios, and those who cope best are on average, probably more likely to succeed in society.

The evolutionary origins of stress hint of the impossibility of ever escaping it, and the fact that our species evolved in small social groups with a foraging lifestyle, hints that we possess poorly adapted capabilities of coping with many modern day life challenges. That said, modern western problems seem fairly benign to being eaten by a tiger or starving to death, so we are probably faring better stress wise overall.

Comment

Originally posted by FJV View Post
                            That summed it up well.
                            Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
                            -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

I clearly said i can't, not that there isn't much to whine about.
                              Which only means this time around she's not over your shoulder, and when she does check and see this, you're gonna feign drunken amnesial blackouts.

Comment

Working...
                              X