Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What If Subhash Chandra Bose had marched upto Delhi?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What If Subhash Chandra Bose had marched upto Delhi?

Since there are a few alternate history threads on this board, I would like to start one not discussed before. What would have happened if the Axis powers won World War 2 and Subhash Chandra Bose would have marched upto Delhi. What would have been the character of Netaji 's Government?
    His India would have been very different from today's India- Partition wouldnt have occured in this timeline. But more importantly what would be the foreign policy and domestic policy of the Government.How strong would have been the influence of these countries on India?
    I dont think Netaji was supportive of Hitler or Japanese butchery - he asked them for help because he wanted India's freedom above everything else.
    I think he would have resisted their influence on India- much like Tito resisted Soviet influence in Yugoslavia. In fact I feel he would have done the same thing as Nehru -start NAM . In his timeline perhaps a cold war would have been brewing between Germany and Japan , and Netaji taking a middle ground.

I would love to debate this
    Keyboard is mightier than gun

There are enough reports that the INA matched and sometimes exceeded IJA brutality. You would've have a civil war, a very bloody civil war.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
      There are enough reports that the INA matched and sometimes exceeded IJA brutality. You would've have a civil war, a very bloody civil war.
      British Historians, Sir.

Comment

Originally posted by Adux View Post
        British Historians, Sir.
        Quotes from the British Indian Army veterans,

Comment

I really don't buy that because most of the INA soldiers were from the British Indian Army. I am guessing those veterans were prisoners and refused to defect to the INA and continue to fight for the British masters. INA soldiers felt those soldiers were being traitors of the highest order and deserve no mercy. It would be a different story if the British was on the losing side and the civilian population was agitating for freedom. Remember that most of the British Indian Army soldiers have families to consider.

Comment

Colonel,

I think you have got it wrong!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
              Colonel,

I think you have got it wrong!
              Sir,

That info was came directly from a former Major in the BIA who's now a member of the Blue Group. His email correspondence was listed as "Ye Ole Crab."

In any case, Sir, I do not think I've had it wrong when it came to bloody nature of that war. The Burma Campaign ... as with all of the Pacific was marked by no mercy asked nor given. I sincerely doubt either side would've let up just because they're Indians.

Comment

That was against the Japanese, not against the INA. By the way, INA was very much intact after WWII. That tells you something about Indian soldiers viewing INA soldiers. There were a lot of British Indian soldiers sympathetic to the INA soldiers.

Comment

Colonel,

One does not take the British to be the Gospel. They looked at India with colonial master eye! And those who sympathised with Indians were condescending like the do gooder nuns who are full of love and compassion but the aim is single minded! ;)

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Just before World War2 Subhash Chandra Bose was elected the president of Indian National Congress even when Gandhiji campaigned against him. He was the most popular political leader in India.
                    Netaji or Subhash Chandra Bose would have been De Gaul of India. The reception de Gaul got after liberation of Paris would have been dwarfed by the reception Netaji would have got had he succeeded in reaching Delhi

Comment

Keeping the brutality part aside...I seriously doubt if there would have been a bloody civil war. Sir, if you look at the posts...you will get an idea that most of the Indians till date view Netaji as a great leader, uncorruptable politician, liberator etc ..etc. That's the general perception shared across all the Indian States. A civil war couldn't start in a scenario where the entire civil populace is supportive of the character concerned...However if you hint a power struggle between the RIA and the INA...I could partially agree.
                      sigpicAnd on the sixth day, God created the Field Artillery...

Comment

Several things here, Gentlemen,

Civil Wars by its very nature are extremely bloody. The fact was you've had a civil war. The INA was defeated and that flame was snuffed out before it engulfed your country. Having seen civil wars, again, I doubt your country, any country could escape the brutality of its very nature.

2nd, no country, and I mean no country escaped the brutality of the IJA. If the INA was successful, it would've been only through with the combined efforts of the IJA. Even if the INA did not do IJA brutality, they would've been tainted with it.

Comment

Civil Wars by its very nature are extremely bloody. The fact was you've had a civil war. The INA was defeated and that flame was snuffed out before it engulfed your country. Having seen civil wars, again, I doubt your country, any country could escape the brutality of its very nature.

2nd, no country, and I mean no country escaped the brutality of the IJA. If the INA was successful, it would've been only through with the combined efforts of the IJA. Even if the INA did not do IJA brutality, they would've been tainted with it.
                          Was there civil war in France when De Gaul returned in 1944?
                          In fact his return might have ensured a united India and no war on terror to worry about!;)

Comment

Originally posted by devgupt View Post
                            Was there civil war in France when De Gaul returned in 1944?
                            In actual fact there was. The French Resistance was the biggest fiction of the war. The Battle for Paris was alot of blood letting of those who sided or sympathized with the Nazis.

Also, you forgot about French Algiers.

Originally posted by devgupt View Post
                            In fact his return might have ensured a united India and no war on terror to worry about!;)
                            Well, there's the other thing. Subhash Chandra Bose was no military genius and he was hampered by the IJA to no end. If he was to enter Dehli, it would be following a Japanese Army.
                            Last edited by Officer of Engineers; 27 Nov 07,, 05:59.

Comment

Colonel,

You will be deluding yourself if you did not know of the Imperial countries atrocities.

It was common in those times.

One well publicised and recognised atrocity that would have today Amnesty hopping was the Jallianwall massacre.

The West won and so Germans and Japanese are in the doghouse of contrived history.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Working...
                              X