No announcement yet.

What if? Roman Army vs. USMC MEU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would be the result if a (single!) USMC MEU were to somehow be transported into ancient Italy around 33 B.C.E, and suddenly got the inkling to take on the entire Roman army, with the eventual goal of capturing Rome itself?
    Taking Rome was only part of the equation. They also have to take on the entire Roman Army, and therefore how they will hold out and for how long is extremely relevant...
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by 1979 View Post
      that would be the Greeks, the roman legion fought on 3 lines of 3 to 4 cohorts.
      The Romans used the Phalanx until about 4th or 5th Century. Then changed to the Cohort which was smaller and could defeat Phalanxes.

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
        Taking Rome was only part of the equation. They also have to take on the entire Roman Army, and therefore how they will hold out and for how long is extremely relevant...
        But the MEU will be much more powerful and more importantly, manueverable.

They will be able to pretty much hold any piece of land they desire. So kill all the leaders and governing body and hold the fort.

And watch the entire Roman army slowly dissapate.

As if Marine snipers can't kill all the Roman generals and leutenants from a mile away.

The Marines can cause some damage.

Posting pictures of SWSBMN on internet forums to irritate people is not all they can do. ;)
        Last edited by YellowFever; 18 Jan 12,, 20:26.

Comment

Originally posted by Tanker View Post
          The Romans used the Phalanx until about 4th or 5th Century. Then changed to the Cohort which was smaller and could defeat Phalanxes.
          Trow in the manpile system somewhere in between ,however it's fair to assume they would not be using the phalanx in 23 BC or 33 BC.
          J'ai en marre.

Comment

Wow!

This wacky thread is popular!

There are 12members viewing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tanker View Post
              My list above is an accurate account of what an MEU carries into battle. My cousin who was on the Tarawa said they carried 15 days of supplies for all forces abaord...One 155mm artillery shell is probably equal to a phalanx of archers loosing arrows...
              Must've posted that just after you did.

I like zravers idea about beaching the LHA/LHD when supplies get low, and cannibalizing the hulk; makes sense. Does the LHA/LHD have any lifeboats or other small vessels onboard (LCAC/LCM/LCU's?) that could still be used AFTER the ship is beached?
              "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Originally posted by YellowFever View Post
                The Marines can cause some damage.

Posting pictures of SWSBMN on internet forums to irritate people is not all they can do. ;)
                If Romans had a football team...:Dancing-Banana:
                No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Guys,this is getting boring.A MEU is an overkill for many of modern day ''states''.Why on Earth would you send such a thing against people who have a killing range of 0-30m is beyond me(if and when they can get to you,which is debatable).
                  The thing is a war winning weapon back then can be the mundane binocular.If you want a challenge,here's one:you're dropped back then all alone.Mission-take out Rome starting with bare hands.Still rather easy if you ask me.
                  Last edited by Mihais; 18 Jan 12,, 20:51.
                  Those who know don't speak
                  He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Originally posted by 1979 View Post
                    Trow in the manpile system somewhere in between ,however it's fair to assume they would not be using the phalanx in 23 BC or 33 BC.
                    I apologize. I got interested in this and started doing outside research on it and actually lost track of of the year stated in the original note. Cohorts would be the case. They changed to the Cohort system when the phalanxes were being decimated by mountain tribes.

Comment

Hell, just fuel up all the armored Humvees and tell the driver"You see the large body of soldiers thats coming towards us? Well, just run them over again and again if you run out of gas, come back here to refuel and do it over again and again..."

Comment

Originally posted by Mihais View Post
                        Guys,this is getting boring.A MEU is an overkill for many of modern day ''states''.Why on Earth would you send such a thing against people who have a killing range of 0-30m is beyond me(if and when they can get to you,which is debatable).
                        The thing is a war winning weapon back then can be the mundane binocular.If you want a challenge,here's one:you're dropped back then all alone.Mission-take out Rome starting with bare hands.Still rather easy if you ask me.
                        ´The Man who came early´ by Poul Andersen, short story about a US military policeman in Iceland who gets transported 1000 years back, to viking era. he finds his .45 and skills are not so impressive to natives as he thinks
                        generation.feedbooks.com/book/3339.pdf
                        If i only was so smart yesterday as my wife is today

Minding your own biz is great virtue, but situation awareness saves lives - Dok

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
                          Must've posted that just after you did.

I like zravers idea about beaching the LHA/LHD when supplies get low, and cannibalizing the hulk; makes sense. Does the LHA/LHD have any lifeboats or other small vessels onboard (LCAC/LCM/LCU's?) that could still be used AFTER the ship is beached?
                          Yes. They also have launches and zodiaks...and that is a good idea. But I would not beach the LHA. At this time in history they are manufacturing oil for lamps. Naptha? Diesel is going to be able to be thinned for the multifuel engines...

Comment

Islandlwana was easy too. :scared:
                            J'ai en marre.

Comment

Still rather easy if you ask me.
                              Agreed. You don't need to meet the Roman Empire in battle, you don't need to sack Rome, all you need do is kill the bulk of the Praetorian guard, do unspeakable things to whatever Emperor happens to be in power at the time in front of the Senate, then work your way through the Senate in the same manner until they agree that 'yes, you're the very chaps to take over' and hey presto, the Empire is yours.
                              That's when it gets tricky....
                              In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by BD1 View Post
                                ´The Man who came early´ by Poul Andersen, short story about a US military policeman in Iceland who gets transported 1000 years back, to viking era. he finds his .45 and skills are not so impressive to natives as he thinks
                                generation.feedbooks.com/book/3339.pdf
                                He was a prat though.
                                In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Working...
                                X