Blade Runner 2049

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blade Runner 2049

Here is series of mini previews setting up Blade Runner 2049. The sequel of 1982's Blade Runner set in 2019 Los Angles, based on Phillip Dick novel titled "Do Androids dream of Electric Sheep."
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7tCeft9dbNE

Saw it with my brother this weekend.

It's a landmark film. One of the best sci-fi films, in fact, films of any genre, I've seen in a decade.

It draws you in to its dark atmosphere, and leaves you pondering deep philosophical questions about the nature of humanity.

Do yourself a favor and go see it in the theaters. It deserves to be seen in all its glory. So much of its atmosphere also arises from its deep soundscape that it would be difficult to replicate it at home without a truly excellent home theater set up.
    Last edited by citanon; 09 Oct 17,, 21:47.

Comment

Originally posted by citanon View Post
      Saw it with my brother this weekend.

It's a landmark film. One of the best sci-fi films, in fact, films of any genre, I've seen in a decade.

It draws you in to its dark atmosphere, and leaves you pondering deep philosophical questions about the nature of humanity.

Do yourself a favor and go see it in the theaters. It deserves to be seen in all its glory. So much of its atmosphere also arises from its deep soundscape that it would be difficult to replicate it at home without a truly excellent home theater set up.
      What he said.

I LOVED it. Spoilers may follow.

Blade Runner is one of my favorite films. Something about it grabbed me when I saw it back in the 80s - probably the depth of vision. I've watched all 5 versions of the original and hours of documentaries, deleted scenes etc. Among sci fi films only Metropolis and 2001 can compete with it for the influence it had on the look of other films. Blade Runner was the dystopian flip side to 2001 and probably had more impact outside its own genre.

Blade Runner 2049 honors the original in every way - visuals, music, story, pacing, design etc. I loved the updated vision. I loved the constant nods to the original: scene composure, story ambiguities, sets, lighting, props, wardrobe & even some of the stuff on the walls & doors. I imagine I'll see more with repeat viewing. There were also the hat tips to the original book, such as the sheep (and probably a few I missed).

One of the coolest things was that opening scene at the farm. It was originally supposed to be the first scene for the original film but was cut from the script. Hampton Fancher, who wrote both, finally got to use it. Talk about one for the fans. I thought the casting was pretty good & everyone handled their parts well. Nice to see a few familiar faces not just from the original, but from The Wire & Walking Dead.

Not sure how someone who wasn't much a fan of the original would go with this. Hopefully they could get into the groove of it. I get the issue with how slow it was, but that is part of the original vision - heavy on visuals & detail. A must see and vastly better than 95% of the cookie cutter drivel being pumped out by big studios. A sequel that isn't just a crappy attempt to make money for the studio.
      sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Agree with all above. I strongly suggest a viewing of the original before going to see 2049, it helped immensely with getting into and enjoying the sequel. (and this movie is a direct sequel) Because of its pacing it may not grab viewers of sci fi who like their action a little faster and physical vs cerebral.

Comment

Watched it.
          Thought it was pretty good.
          Never seen the first one pass the first 10 minutes.

Comment

Do I need to watch the original to appreciate this one?
            "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

Originally posted by GVChamp View Post
              Do I need to watch the original to appreciate this one?
              Yeh definitely, The audio and visuals are still good after 35 years, so get the best copy you can and watch it in HD and 5.1 to get the full effect. It was way ahead of its time and actually flopped at the cinema back in the 80's due to run time and the fact that it actually allows the audience to think for a change instead of spoon feeding it ..so yeh, the story has depth and the worst thing you can do is have preconceptions..nothing like Star wars or Star trek or any Sci fi film I've ever seen. It paints a believable dark future...It's classy!

Comment

Box Office takings at$31million for the weekend are well below expectations in the U.S.It might be a struggle to make a decent profit let alone recovering the costs of the making and marketing of the movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Funtastic View Post
                  Box Office takings at$31million for the weekend are well below expectations in the U.S.It might be a struggle to make a decent profit let alone recovering the costs of the making and marketing of the movie.
                  It should do well worldwide plus post release Blue Ray/DVD sales should do well.
                  Probably, not enough to get the studio motivated for a 3rd movie. This one left more untied possibilities. More about Wallace and Detective ‘L,’ even the dog left behind in Vegas?

I still can’t figure why the ship breakers in San Diego shot down Detective K? It’s not like they needed the metal from his Peugeot?
                  Last edited by surfgun; 12 Oct 17,, 03:27.

Comment

Loved it! Some scenes reminded me so much of Fallout video games...

Hopefully this just continues the trend of thoughtful sci-fi films succeeding in mainstream cinema.

Comment

Working...
                    X